Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

Just watched this weeks episode and I'm so glad the show is finally leaving Japan for Hong Kong. It's was weird as hell when Ryo randomly busted out his Chinese on Master Chen, though.

Just watched this weeks episode and I'm so glad the show is finally leaving Japan for Hong Kong. It's was weird as hell when Ryo randomly busted out his Chinese on Master Chen, though.
Honestly would have liked another episode in Yokosuka, the show is a decent adaptation but a bit trampled.

I've had an absolute rubbish start to 2022, so I haven't been able to engage as actively on the forums as I would have liked. But I've somehow made time to watch every episode of this anime 4x times so far and it's been a real highlight of my weeks that have kept me going. I absolutely love this series, and as unlikely as second seasons are in animes I hope Shenmue gets one because damn it's worth it!

Not sure how many people use MUBI (an art house streaming service), but Shenmue the Animation is on here if you want to give it a rating (less than 5 ratings means nothing comes up). I use this site all the time, so plan to rate it when the series ends :) I'm unsure who added it originally, but I did flesh out the staff section.

For fun, the CG movie is on here too - https://mubi.com/films/shenmue-the-movie as is Virtua Fighter (I added this one to the database myself) - https://mubi.com/films/virtua-fighter

Thanks. I also did an Anime variant. Also cleaned up a noticeable error. The lower background was clipping into Ryo a little bit in that first one I posted. Didn't catch it until I went back to the PSD. Anyways, that's an Anime variant with Anime credits as opposed to game credits.

For those curious.

Top left text is "Keep friends and loved ones close"

Bottom middle text is "Thus the saga begins"

Bottom right text is "He shall appear from across the sea, from a distant land in the East. A young man who does not know his hidden strength..."

shenmueshawbrosanime.png

shenmueshawbros.png

As with everything Shenmue related, It is not possible to predict the release of anything, nor if it will be done in the most desired way... so I've already assumed this in relation to an eventual blu-ray release. In other words, I'm not going to sit around waiting for an official release that may never happen.

So what I've been doing is downloading each episode and creating files that include both audio tracks (Japanese and English). This involves downloading both Crunchyroll and Adult Swim episodes, syncing the two tracks (which have some timing issues), and then embedding the English audio track into the Crunchyroll version (which has better image quality). In addition to this, I have also created a subtitle track with only the translation of the Japanese texts that appear on the screen (useful for the dubbed version).

For now, this is just a personal project and a plan B in case there is no official release, which I am very interested in buying. But if that release never comes, I may eventually share this version with anyone interested. ;)

Does anyone see this getting “discussion” outside our Shenmue-based communities? Where would one go to see what anime fans are enjoying these days? I’ve been trying to find some kind of proof the fan base has grown at all, to better settle my feelings about the future of this franchise. I’ve yet to see an increase in sales for the games, but I have noticed the Toonami communities have basically adopted Shenmue as part of their identity/community which is cool. I’ve seen lots of “Shenmue memes” on non-Shenmue accounts on Twitter, for instance.

Why did Ren tell Joy that no man in Hong Kong would even think of hitting on her? Is she under some sort of protection that everybody knows about, like she’s off limits else Guizhang will find you and beat you to pulp? Found that bit funny.

Really loving how the show is showing that Joy seems to know everyone and everyone knows Joy. Also liked how she sends Ren towards Ryo then doesn’t warn Ryo, just pry if he met someone new. She’s got her own agenda.

Why did Ren tell Joy that no man in Hong Kong would even think of hitting on her? Is she under some sort of protection that everybody knows about, like she’s off limits else Guizhang will find you and beat you to pulp? Found that bit funny.
I read somewhere that Joy's father is some big wig in Hong Kong so that's why nobody dares mess around with her, but yeah, I think it's more to do with Rens sense of humour that no one would hit on her haha :LOL:

I read somewhere that Joy's father is some big wig in Hong Kong so that's why nobody dares mess around with her, but yeah, I think it's more to do with Rens sense of humour that no one would hit on her haha :LOL:
Hah, true, that extra insult that no one would even think of it. The games did a good job showing their odd friendship of sorts, happy to see it even more in the anime.

There's going to be a series of events to mark the release of the Anime in Yokosuka!
I've written up a post about what's on offer:

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/03/shenmue-x-yokosuka-animation-promotion.html

Outline:
  • Updated Sacred Spot Guide Map
  • Livestream event with Masaya Matsukaze, Yu Suzuki, Yu Kiyozono, Esra Krabbe on 29 April at 6pm JST
  • Exhibition of anime and game materials at certain shops associated with Shenmue
  • A shopping promotion (postcard collectibles)
  • An online gacha gacha with digital downloads
  • A gacha gacha on-site in Yokosuka

Back