Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I feel like Shenmue 4 has to be announced quickly. We waited 18 years for Shenmue 3. No time to waste. If 3 sells as well as the publisher should hope, there’s no point in being mysterious or vague and making the fans wait months or a year to to find out if there’s going to be another sequel.

Absolutely, I 100% agree. This is one of the rare times when I'd actually appreciate even just a short message to say "we're pleased to announce that Shenmue IV is now in development" or even "Shenmue IV is happening and development will begin soon" without even a hint of gameplay or any screens.

It would be neat indeed if they would start with the development of S4 right after S3 is done. The next gen Systems are still 13 to 14 month away so they have plenty of time to make S4 for the current gen Systems without getting distracted by the Next gen hype that much.

The devs are also used to the Shenmue lore now, thanks to their work on 3, so they should move on with 4 right on the spot.

Hmmm... If they go with all the assets they've made, and their engine and all that, the next Shenmue games should be way faster to make... But it will also make them look outdated (for real this time as PS5/Super Xbone will be released). I think none of us care about that, but the public might.

Also, if the next Nintendo Switch is powerful enough, maybe it'll be able to run Shenmue III - V without many sacrifices. Imagine having all of the Shenmue series portable with no cut backs!!

Hmmm... If they go with all the assets they've made, and their engine and all that, the next Shenmue games should be way faster to make... But it will also make them look outdated (for real this time as PS5/Super Xbone will be released). I think none of us care about that, but the public might.

Also, if the next Nintendo Switch is powerful enough, maybe it'll be able to run Shenmue III - V without many sacrifices. Imagine having all of the Shenmue series portable with no cut backs!!

The graphic whores perhaps, but that's not the part of the mainstream a game like Shenmue would appeal to anyway(It's too slow paced, and philosophical for them).

I know the Switch is powerful enough, and omg I would love to have all the Shenmue games on it :)

Hopefully much like Shenmue 2 getting announced soon after release, I do hope 4 gets announced soon after 3. Only issue that could (in theory) be a problem is releasing the game after the PS5 is released. Yakuza had issues where it released 2 and 5 way after the PS3 and 4 were respectively released so the appeal was limited. That said, I'd imagine hardcore Shenmue fans will buy it on any system regardless.
They have the engine, combat and assets created, so that's good news. Graphically... I don't even mind it looking just a bit better than what 3 looks like, I just want 4 (and 5) to exist. Anything else is a bonus.

So I dunno if its been mentioned but Ghost Recon Breakpoint got absolutely trashed in reviews. People are getting sick and tired of open world for the sake of it, doing dumb check lists and the general blandness of it all. This is why games like Death Stranding and Shenmue 3 are so appealing. They offer alternate takes of what an open world can be and mix exploration with a compelling story. The world should complement gameplay, not be all of it.

Explicitly? Maybe.

But we'll get a "you have X amount of time to make changes to the address on your survey before shipping" Kickstarter update for definite. We can just take that as confirmation the game has gone Gold.
Oh yes! that can happen of course.
We forget YS Net isn't just your normal developer who does things just cause others do. lol
Thay may very well say nothing about the game going gold.
Yu Suzuki might not even know that devs nowadays share that kind of info.

It's hard not to get paranoid as we enter the final month or so lol. The silence on Kickstarter is scaring me but I think I've just been spoiled with updates in the lead up to the demo being released. I would definitely expect a gold announcement though, even if it's Cedric and not Yu. They're probably just busy finishing up the game hopefully.

The only thing that makes me a little bit nervous ... no, not nervous but its the last missing step,
the german age rating company USK has still not rated Shenmue 3.
Other games like Death Stranding for example already have a rating.

The habbit of sharing the info that the game goes gold is useless info anyway. As customer I do not have any gain when devs say the game is gone gold weeks ore sometime even month before the release. I just always as myself the question why i cannot get it know already if is done already.

We have to think positive that nothing goes wrong and we can play S3 next month.

Well on german Amazon and on gamescom there was a "USK ab 12" Sticker on the wall. It could be rated but Deep Silver could told them not to reveal anything. Movies in cinemas were rated very late. The last Rambo-Movie was rated "USK ab 18" one week before cinema-release.

I do hope we can play all of Shenmue III to V on PS4... I can't afford yet another console. :[

Back