Random Shenmue III Thoughts

The closer it gets to the release date of Shenmue 3, the more unbelievable it seems that the game is actually coming out. As a concept it barely registers in my brain. I think over the past few months I've become quite successful at tuning it out and removing myself from the hype train...positive or negative.

So there's still this overwhelming feeling of "You know that thing you loved from nearly 20 years ago? It's coming back next week."

Well, damn. I'd better tidy up.

So what do you guys think a Side Quest will look like in Shenmue III? I was thinking about it while cleaning up some of Yakuza 3's side quests the other day.

We know that the game has side quests to some degree (based on the back end Steam achievements, I hope I'm not spoiling that for anyone)

But what do you think they'll be? Fetch quests? Or traditional Shenmue fashioned hidden fights and random scenes that you may not have seen unless you went out of your way for them?

I do hope the game has some secrets buried within that they haven't even mentioned yet...the Duck Racing was a nice surprise in Shenmue II as was, so I hope there is something akin to that waiting to be found in Shenmue III for those who dig deep into it.

Think the game will telegraph any of it or will it be "find it for yourself" like it was in the original game?

Also QTE events. Think the QTE Events from Shenmue II will make a return? (the ones that stop the action and ask you to repeat them quickly) or will it be standard Shenmue 1 style QTE's only?

Last edited:
So what do you guys think a Side Quest will look like in Shenmue III? I was thinking about it while cleaning up some of Yakuza 3's side quests the other day.

We know that the game has side quests to some degree (based on the back end Steam achievements, I hope I'm not spoiling that for anyone)

But what do you think they'll be? Fetch quests? Or traditional Shenmue fashioned hidden fights and random scenes that you may not have seen unless you went out of your way for them?

I do hope the game has some secrets buried within that they haven't even mentioned yet...the Duck Racing was a nice surprise in Shenmue II as was, so I hope there is something akin to that waiting to be found in Shenmue III for those who dig deep into it.

Think the game will telegraph any of it or will it be "find it for yourself" like it was in the original game?

Also QTE events. Think the QTE Events from Shenmue II will make a return? (the ones that stop the action and ask you to repeat them quickly) or will it be standard Shenmue 1 style QTE's only?
I'm hoping all side quests are secrets to find ourselves. I don't want checklists detailing which ones need done like the Yakuza series. That's a big difference between the two series. Yakuza has stats and lists for everything, whereas Shenmue allows the player to find out secrets themselves.

I dont want to see a completion percentage in Shenmue. That way people will search for hidden things for years.

I dont want to see a completion percentage in Shenmue. That way people will search for hidden things for years.

Technically Shenmue kind of did always have a completion percentage....if you take the notebook into account :D It just never really came out and said it, but the notebook kind of was a percentage list without being a percentage list...as in you could opt to find every last entry and fill it out completely. Also the original game had the passport, which kind of did play host to some stats.

Technically Shenmue kind of did always have a completion percentage....if you take the notebook into account :D It just never really came out and said it, but the notebook kind of was a percentage list without being a percentage list...as in you could opt to find every last entry and fill it out completely. Also the original game had the passport, which kind of did play host to some stats.

True. But iirc, none of the sidequests in 2 created notebook entries. Such as Fanmei birthday, duck racing or hidden fights. I didnt do these again in my playthrough last year so could be remembering wrong.

Anyways, players wouldn't even know these existed even if using the notebook as a completion percentage.

True. But iirc, none of the sidequests in 2 created notebook entries. Such as Fanmei birthday, duck racing or hidden fights. I didnt do these again in my playthrough last year so could be remembering wrong.

Anyways, players wouldn't even know these existed even if using the notebook as a completion percentage.

True.

I don't necessarily want markers or a check list either for III btw. Like I said, I hope there's some deep buried secrets that will go undiscovered for some time. I look forward to just exploring trying to find hidden stuff.

I think the thing about side quests I'm curious about is more what can we really get out of them. I get that in real life you don't always get an object or reward for everything you do, but if I am doing a side quest in a game its pretty lame to reach the end of it and feel like I don't have any more than when I started it. Ideally what I want out of 3's side quests is to shine alot of light on some characters' lives outside of the main plot and provide ryo with a reward by the end of each that makes it feel like it was all worth it. Whether it be a sizable boost in leveling up stats or a unique item, I worry the rewards are always going to be cosmetic.

I think the thing about side quests I'm curious about is more what can we really get out of them. I get that in real life you don't always get an object or reward for everything you do, but if I am doing a side quest in a game its pretty lame to reach the end of it and feel like I don't have any more than when I started it. Ideally what I want out of 3's side quests is to shine alot of light on some characters' lives outside of the main plot and provide ryo with a reward by the end of each that makes it feel like it was all worth it. Whether it be a sizable boost in leveling up stats or a unique item, I worry the rewards are always going to be cosmetic.

Some rewards could simply be earning a villagers trust who is willing to give info about aspects of the main storyline. By providing an alternate path to collect info.

BTW. it's midnight Tuesday night here in Australia. 7 DAYS LEFT! :D

This time next week, Shenmue III will be downloaded and unlocked on my PS4 and ready to go.

(this week is gonna be hell...between dodging any spoilers and just waiting for the game)

BTW. it's midnight Tuesday night here in Australia. 7 DAYS LEFT! :D

This time next week, Shenmue III will be downloaded and unlocked on my PS4 and ready to go.

(this week is gonna be hell...between dodging any spoilers and just waiting for the game)

I'm confused as to when S3 will be unlocked on PSN. According to the store, it will be available next Tuesday at 11 a.m. EST. Not at .midnight. Are the times different depending on region? Or are they 11 a.m. everywhere?

I'm confused as to when S3 will be unlocked on PSN. According to the store, it will be available next Tuesday at 11 a.m. EST. Not at .midnight. Are the times different depending on region? Or are they 11 a.m. everywhere?

No idea, just assumed it would be like every other PSN game I've bought that has unlocked at Midnight....but I have no idea for sure.

I assumed it all just unlocked according to whatever region you're in. When I pre ordered and downloaded Catherine Full Body, I was playing at Midnight when it launched ahead of US and what not.

I wonder if it'll unlock at 12 Eastern...then I'll get to start at 9pm here on the West coast :whistle:
Yep, I have heard a lot about it in a podcast that West coast has been loosing some retail day 1 sales because of Digital Stores in the US applying the East coast time zone. At least that is what I have heard in the CUP Podcast

Well I just looked up the timer in my PS4 Library for the Digital Download Version I bought through PSN

6 Days and 23 hours.

So I assume, it'll be unlocked come Midnight (Sydney time) Next Week.

I've always assumed it just goes by whatever your region's local time is. I know in the past I've been playing stuff while American’s have been on Facebook writing posts saying "mere hours away." Judgment was one such instance.

So I assumed it was just going by your regions local time on PSN.

Last edited:
Some rewards could simply be earning a villagers trust who is willing to give info about aspects of the main storyline. By providing an alternate path to collect info.
Yeah that is something, but I wouldnt want that to be the only reward. Something thats not so pinpointed to single locations.

Back