Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Never even heard of this guy before. Oh well, I guess he's earned his 15 minutes of fame this time. He better enjoy it while it lasts. I hear the new rules YouTube is putting in place soon might make channels like his permanently demonetised.
Yeah, it’s a shame his original tweet picked up a thousand or so Retweets. Folks are really thirsty to hate on Shenmue. Let’s make up budgets and also completely ignore the circumstances in which both games were made—then blame it all on Yu Suzuki’s incompetence. Because we know game budgets are completely dedicated to cutting edge animation and graphics.

Last edited:
I haven't left Bailu yet so can't comment on the second area of the game, but my current ranking is:

1: Kowloon
2: Yokosuka
3: Bailu
4: Wanchai
5: Guilin (S2)
6: Aberdeen

that being said, my list changes with how I feel at the time. What I'm trying to say is...

B9214BC5-D13B-4590-A7C9-3BA3D6227EA2.jpeg

These comparisons ... a full Konami studio vs a brand new studio without a consistent publisher
... but what about the graphics??????
... because all modern expensive games have super highend graphics and characters right, like Fallout 4,
Monster Hunter World, Borderlands 3 or even games published directly by Sony like Nioh.
Kingdom Come Deliverance had a total budget of 35 mil and it doesnt have the best graphics ever, so?
No, doesnt matter, we only accept the best of the best for Shenmue, because ... i dont know.

Yes there is a funny discussion going on, on twitter. with the Sh 3 Shenmue comparison. A bit disappointing though. I thought that avalanche reviews to be smarter

Regarding phone calls
Since when does Ryo and Nozomi call each other by their last names? And her mom needs to stop interrupting our calls

I look at it as a way of creating distance from each other...I don’t know why so many people are surprised, when I think the first game leaned into this notion already that it was something not meant to last and now this is many months and a lot of changes later for the both of them.

He's a Silent Hill megafan and he's also making the argument Ys Net wasted our money (not sure where he heard Ys Net raised $20 million) and that Yu Suzuki is incompetent. That's what I gathered by reading the comments. It's a bit sad a 'video game reviewer' is under the impression all budgets go towards is cutting edge graphics and animation instead of, y'know, gameplay or whatever.

He's a Silent Hill megafan and he's also making the argument Ys Net wasted our money (not sure where he heard Ys Net raised $20 million) and that Yu Suzuki is incompetent. That's what I gathered by reading the comments. It's a bit sad a 'video game reviewer' is under the impression all budgets go towards is cutting edge graphics and animation instead of, y'know, gameplay or whatever.

Quite the coincidence but I actually explored his YouTube channel earlier today and all I can say is that he is a mega fanboy of various things and a clear hater of other things. He made a video on why Switch would totally fail and sink Nintendo. he still hasn't admitted he was wrong in the comments of that video. He's like "I said it MIGHT, not that it will" but the language used suggests he was pretty sure. But he can't simply say "I was wrong".

Fanboy-ism is no good.

Shenmue 3 is an easy prey. Not a big studio behind it, shitting on it won't have any consequence (no blacklisting by the editor, unlike what Square Enix and a few big companies are used to do). And it is a good clickbait.

Sad but incredibly true. At least we have many good reviews to point to. We might be averaging 71 according to Metacritic but we also have a ton of 8+ reviews. Especially if you count those not on Metacritic. Just today it got a 9/10 from Slant Magazine, a reviewer that is notoriously harsh with their reviews, as well as an 8,5 from a dutch Playstation site.

It wouldn't be getting so many great reviews if it was a bad game. In any other case I wouldn't care about reviews so much, but we can use the good reviews as proof that we aren't (that) crazy.

Shenmue has always been a punching-bag for various reasons. But we will never let that get us down!!

Yo, can I repost your list on Resetera, Real1? The review thread is dead and someone requested a more comprehensive summary.

Sure, go ahead. I just posted the latest version over in the review thread.

Here's Jim Sterling trashing the entire series in a new video:

Waterworld was a very, very, very expensive movie to make, and it was a flop. A very, very, very big flop.

Anyway, let's talk about Shenmue! Shenmue III is finally out, floating off the back of millions in crowdfunding, multiple publisher backers, and a wave of hype. Disproportionate hype, it would seem, given the game's market performance thus far. The thing is, Shenmue isn't all that popular, despite being so requested, and so critically acclaimed. What's more, it's always been very, very, very expensive to make... and a flop

I'm mad people like a game I don't like! It's really annoying how much pleasure trashing an 'unpopular' game seems to bring these folks.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s a shame his original tweet picked up a thousand or so Retweets. Folks are really thirsty to hate on Shenmue. Let’s make up budgets and also completely ignore the circumstances in which both games were made—then blame it all on Yu Suzuki’s incompetence. Because we know game budgets are completely dedicated to cutting edge animation and graphics.

Dude is obvsly just trolling the fanbase/game at this point. If he was "Following" the dev, Yu suzuki said he can easily match GTA/RDR2 level of graphical fidelity but it'll run his limited budget down to the ground and there'll be nothing left for the rest of the game. So "Good enough" was the baseline he went with so he can put the rest of the money into fleshing out game-play/systems. If he really wanna be fair. tell Konami or heck any modern AAA dev studio to build a "Shenmue tier" game with 10m and similar dev team without missing a beat...he'd be laugh out of the office. Yu Suzuki being the genius that he his knew where to cut the fat to preserved the core essence of a shenmue game. Like making the hard cut of throws. If the mainstream wants a fully fleshed out AAA Shenmue with all the bells & whistles, Support YS and Shenmue so he can get a AAA budget. Then watch him push the industry forward another decade. But tearing down instead of building up is the click-bait/outrage modus operandi & if not S3(being the easy target) he'd look for another(easy target) game to pull this same stunt. To be able to evoke the essence of Shenmue with so much handicapped...I'd argue YS managment is more than competent if not a legendary feat considering the circumstances.

Here's Jim Sterling trashing the entire series in a new video:

I'm mad people like a game I don't like! It's really annoying how much pleasure trashing an 'unpopular' game seems to bring these folks.

Never liked that guy. Now I like him even less.

Like previously mentioned, Shenmue has always been a punching bag... But I must say, this is probably the hardest punch it has received considering Jim has nearly 900k bootlickers subscribers.

The thing is he can spin it like he's advocating for the poor backers and consumers who contributed all this wasted money to Ys Net. He's actually defending us, he will say. That's always the spin in his videos--he's David and the publishers/developers are the evil Goliath.

Back