Random Shenmue III Thoughts

This awful tweet blew up with the usual addition of made up facts to make Ys Net look bad.
Some stuff to consider
  • SH3 has like a thousandth of the total potential dialogue as S3, and none of it is deployed in the semi-dynamic fashion it is in S3 which obviously would make implementation and debugging of face mocap even more of a costly nightmare
  • Even if Deep Silver matched the KS funds 100% percent, that's still "only" $14 million, and up to $2.1 million of the $6 million raised on KS wasn't even able to go to game development (see pie-chart below on YsNet's own estimates when they launched the KS)
  • Yu had to spend a shitload of time/money/effort just to get a development team up and going while Konami was already a well-oiled machine with all their AAA talent already warmed up and ready to go
  • Comparing S3's weakest point to arguably SH3's strongest is low hanging fruit. How many kung fu moves does S3 have and how many does SH3 have?? Yeah, that's what I thought. Bitch. 👺
  • As usual, industry obsessed drama-queens put too much weight on technical prowess and not enough on literally everything else. The implication here is he would've preferred some of the millions that went into making Niaowu an absolutely massive and absurdly dense/detailed masterpiece into mocap for the crazy amount of dialogue. All I can say is I am so glad he wasn't a producer for this game.

9efe610414da85d9f356a5de5addcd12_original.png

Sigh, in the comments he's going on about how Yakuza is a better Shenmue.

It is THE most tired fucking argument.

Some stuff to consider
  • SH3 has like a thousandth of the total potential dialogue as S3, and none of it is deployed in the semi-dynamic fashion it is in S3 which obviously would make implementation and debugging of face mocap even more of a costly nightmare
  • Even if Deep Silver matched the KS funds 100% percent, that's still "only" $14 million, and up to $2.1 million of the $6 million raised on KS wasn't even able to go to game development (see pie-chart below on YsNet's own estimates when they launched the KS)
  • Yu had to spend a shitload of time/money/effort just to get a development team up and going while Konami was already a well-oiled machine with all their AAA talent already warmed up and ready to go
  • Comparing S3's weakest point to arguably SH3's strongest is low hanging fruit. How many kung fu moves does S3 have and how many does SH3 have?? Yeah, that's what I thought. Bitch. 👺
  • As usual, industry obsessed drama-queens put too much weight on technical prowess and not enough on literally everything else. The implication here is he would've preferred some of the millions that went into making Niaowu an absolutely massive and absurdly dense/detailed masterpiece into mocap for the crazy amount of dialogue. All I can say is I am so glad he wasn't a producer for this game.

View attachment 6093

giphy.gif

Althought, this bring up a point I've been making: English dub was a bad idea. Not only it costed money to make the game a laughing stock, it seems to have introduced translation issues.

I agree, but we can't really complain as this was a Kickstarter project and so Yu went full throttle on catering to most if not all the fans demands as much as he could, which include English dub, arcade and forklift games even if it meant not realizing his other design wishes like being able to play with different characters or the relationship growth mechanic (I haven't gone far into the game but read those were axed).

Translation issues are a shame but im still grateful that it got a English dub. For curiosity, i switched the language to Japanese in the middle of my play through but it wasn't the same. For me, without Corey, it isnt Shenmue.

Its
Don't click the video and don't comment, ignore that frustated person hate by no helping is viewer counter.
Eh, he’s gonna get thousands of clicks regardless. Nice to know what people are gonna say when they shit on the series going forward, since they’ll be citing this video quite a bit.

Don't click the video and don't comment, ignore that frustated person hate by no helping is viewer counter.

You're right, but when the comments accuse YsNet of using Shenmue III as a money laundering scheme, it's pretty hard to ignore.

It's sad how few dislikes the video has. Everyone just listens and believes every word he says.

Agh. I'm gonna go play my money laundering simulator Shenmue III now to calm me down.

The thing is he can spin it like he's advocating for the poor backers and consumers who contributed all this wasted money to Ys Net. He's actually defending us, he will say. That's always the spin in his videos--he's David and the publishers/developers are the evil Goliath.

It is really funny that these YouTube blatherers really think they speak for the backers. Most backers should be quite happy with the results. I invested only 70 USD to fund the game I am not regretting anything. I got what I wanted.

Just started playing S3 a few days ago, and I think I’m completely addicted! I’m in love with Bailu, it’s just so much better than I imagined! I was a bit worried before I started playing because I saw a few negative comments here and there, but once I sunk my teeth into it, all my worries were gone. I actually really love the training system, and with so many jobs/mini games to play, it makes for getting into a good routine. Train, make money, progress the story. Everything seems really balanced to me so far. The way I play, it makes the story progression flow smoothly while still having lots of time to explore and do what I want. The battle system takes some getting used to, but I‘ve been enjoying it thus far. Shenmue 3 is even better than I imagined!
(Also, the conversations with Shenhua are the best!:LOL:)

Some of the QTE fails are quite hilarious
Girl on the ladder actually knows martial arts and Ryo getting hit in the face with a fire extinguisher. Ouch.
I failed the fire extinguisher one repeatedly because it made me laugh alot!

I always assumed Shenmue 3 is pretty much doomed to be put on the same level as mighty number 9, I cant be too bothered by it since its what I was expecting even if it is annoying and pretty depressing.

I've also never liked Jim Sterling anyway, always thought the guy was super condescending, contrarian, and misinformed. Also he likes Sonic 4 so automatically hes on the lower end of video game personalities for me.

I left a comment in one of the 50 threads on Sterling's video about how Yakuza is a better Shenmue, saying that they are very different. How one is a fast paced crime drama, and how one is a slow-paced multiple-game mystery... The response? "Here come the genre sheriff"

These people man, these people.

Yo, can I repost your list on Resetera, Real1? The review thread is dead and someone requested a more comprehensive summary.

Did you post it?

I left a comment in one of the 50 threads on Sterling's video about how Yakuza is a better Shenmue, saying that they are very different. How one is a fast paced crime drama, and how one is a slow-paced multiple-game mystery... The response? "Here come the genre sheriff"

These people man, these people.
The question is, even if they were identical and Yakuza WAS INDEED better, so what? Are genres now only allowed a single entry from one participant? There are all sorts of FPSes, RTSes, RPGs: I never see opinions like "Don't play Xenoblade Chronicles 17271471841! It's inferior to Final Fantasy 284175!"

Did you post it?
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, I'm not the OP and I already get enough shit for being a Shenmue fanboy, so I don't want to start a new thread.

Links to the reviews would probably help, too. Maybe I'll work on that.

Yes, I did. Unfortunately, I'm not the OP and I already get enough shit for being a Shenmue fanboy, so I don't want to start a new thread.

Links to the reviews would probably help, too. Maybe I'll work on that.

I love how the post just above yours in that thread is like "71 is better than I thought but only 39% critics recommend, ouch". Talk about looking for negatives just to confirm their worldview.

Back