Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I think seeing a guy insulting yu suzuki with a pretty vile comparison getting unanimously dunked on is a pretty massive boost in positivity but ehh each their own i guess.

the responses to this one are a nightmare

Eh. He likes Shenmue, though. Look at his most recent post. I can’t fault people for hating on the new game.

Thats the "problem" you get when a franchise (in this example Yakuza) takes off.
A couple of years ago where Yakuza 3-5 were the most recent Yakuza games,
the series was for hardcore japan fans only. For like ... ten years or so, i only knew one single Yakuza fan.
When Gregor from german Rocketbeans TV showed Yakuza 4 or 5, everybody was like "??? what the hell is this".
Sega didnt even release Yakuza 5 in physical form in the west.

But now they finally have the series under control in the west because of Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami games,
so a lot more people have played Yakuza games since 2017 now because it got hyped up.
The downside to that is that now we have dozens and dozens of new people who never heard about Yakuza before part 0
and they act like they are the biggest fans ever and like Yakuza is this super cool new series they discovered.
This created a really pathetic team of edgy people in the community.

I love Yakuza but i have to distance myself from that part of the community.

Those mirrors from the CE are fetching £25-£35 on ebay alone and the light box around £25-£30. They aren't making any more so keep it complete and this time next year it'll be worth a lot more than it is now.

Also I put my patches in an A4 frame and they look really cool ^_^

How did you display your mirror in the end?
Would you mind sharing a picture of your framed patches?

Thats the "problem" you get when a franchise (in this example Yakuza) takes off.
the series was for hardcore japan fans only. For like ... ten years or so, i only knew one single Yakuza fan.
When Gregor from german Rocketbeans TV showed Yakuza 4 or 5, everybody was like "??? what the hell is this".

But now they finally have the series under control in the west because of Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami games,
so a lot more people have played Yakuza games since 2017 now because it got hyped up.
The downside to that is that now we have dozens and dozens of new people who never heard about Yakuza before part 0
and they act like they are the biggest fans ever and like Yakuza is this super cool new series they discovered.

i just think it’s pathetic to compare a game that’s eight or nine series in to 18-year-old games, but I know most of these people are just being influenced by social media and aren’t actually arguing from knowledge. The first Yakuza’s load times were worse than anything in Shenmue 1 or 2. The voice acting was also hilariously bad considering they’d actually spent money on Hollywood talent. Anyway...

That account also posted this. Best to ignore and move on.
Shenmue 1 and 2 are some of his favorite games, i dont see how disliking 3 invalidates that especially when everyone generally seems to rank it below 1 and 2 without contest.

Like tales of is one of my fav series, doesnt mean im not a fan for finding the games to be in a lull of quality for 10 years after vesperia and find innocence and zestiria to be outright awful.

Just add on to this about newer fans, its great if you get into the series late and become a fan, but alot of the people that start with 0 ive noticed try to do everything to act like the kiwamis replace the originals and that any criticsm it gets is crazed fans attacking newcomers, when its like, no they are solid remakes but theres alot of misteps in it and id argue they work better as a companion piece rather than an putright replacement especially with the different combat and kiwami 2 missing content fron the original.

Last edited:
Would you be upset if Sega stepped in to make Shenmue 4 with one stipulation: Shenmue 4 has to use the same gameplay engine as Yakuza 0?

Sega would allow certain Shenmue gameplay mechanics like: zooming in on objects/collecting, npc interactions and QTEs. The fighting engine would be the same as Yakuza.

Would you be open to this to ensure the completion of Shenmue or would you want to do it Yu Suzuki's way?

Would you be upset if Sega stepped in to make Shenmue 4 with one stipulation: Shenmue 4 has to use the same gameplay engine as Yakuza 0?

Sega would allow certain Shenmue gameplay mechanics like: zooming in on objects/collecting, npc interactions and QTEs. The fighting engine would be the same as Yakuza.

Would you be open to this to ensure the completion of Shenmue or would you want to do it Yu Suzuki's way?

As long as it follows Suzuki’s vision, then I will accept it no matter what. However just because I would accept it does not mean I would like it. Shenmue has its own identity distinct from Ryu Ga Gotoku and making its combat a carbon copy of Ryu Ga Gotoku does not sit right with me. To me, it would give the “Shenmue is the inferior Ryu Ga Gotoku” critics ammunition since Shenmue would be admitting that its combat system cannot compete with its spiritual successor.

In my opinion, if SEGA with all their resources get involved with a potential Shenmue IV, why not give the fans the combat system they fell in love with? All Suzuki would have to do is adapt the combat of Final Showdown for future Shenmue games. Shenmue III’s combat system has divided the fan base, so why not bring back the system that most fans would enjoy? However (and I blame this on the budget) if Suzuki wants to use Shenmue III’s combat system in the future, why not find a way flesh it out even further?

In the end, Yu Suzuki is a rare breed of designer who is always looking beyond the horizon. Hampering him with conventional game systems would do Shenmue a disservice. After all, one of the reasons why I respect him so much is that he did not comprise his artistic vision after all these years when he had the chance to.

I dont see why they would be using the dragon engine or wouldnt be able to make new combat, but sega stepping in and using a stable engine sounds like nothing but a positive.

As long as it follows Suzuki’s vision, then I will accept it no matter what. However just because I would accept it does not mean I would like it. Shenmue has its own identity distinct from Ryu Ga Gotoku and making its combat a carbon copy of Ryu Ga Gotoku does not sit right with me. To me, it would give the “Shenmue is the inferior Ryu Ga Gotoku” critics ammunition since Shenmue would be admitting that its combat system cannot compete with its spiritual successor.

In my opinion, if SEGA with all their resources get involved with a potential Shenmue IV, why not give the fans the combat system they fell in love with? All Suzuki would have to do is adapt the combat of Final Showdown for future Shenmue games. Shenmue III’s combat system has divided the fan base, so why not bring back the system that most fans would enjoy? However (and I blame this on the budget) if Suzuki wants to use Shenmue III’s combat system in the future, why not find a way flesh it out even further?

In the end, Yu Suzuki is a rare breed of designer who is always looking beyond the horizon. Hampering him with conventional game systems would do Shenmue a disservice. After all, one of the reasons why I respect him so much is that he did not comprise his artistic vision after all these years when he had the chance to.
I dont see why they would be using the dragon engine or wouldnt be able to make new combat, but sega stepping in and using a stable engine sounds like nothing but a positive.

I understand your point completely @Tsukuyomimagi99. Publicly it would come off as Shenmue is inferior to its spiritual successor. Unfortunately when you step back and look at everything objectively Shenmue just isn't a hot commodity in the gaming spectrum. It's a niche game with a small diehard cult following. It's never going to sell crazy numbers and as you well know developers aren't in the business of breaking even they want to see profits.

Not to beat a dead horse but IMO Shenmue and Yakuza are already very similar IMO. The Dragon engine is a good system and it would also help the budget of Shenmue. Plus Shenmue 3 already has many assets and resources already in place which would also help the budget.

At this point I could hold my pride in check and lean on the Yakuza franchise to ensure the completion of Shenmue. What I dont want to see is the Shenmue franchise become a anime, manga, or whatever else some have suggested. I want to see the completion of Shenmue as a video game.

With all that said would Yu Suzuki be open to working with the Yakuza franchise? IMO I dont think he would but maybe I'm wrong. Yu Suzuki is a highly celebrated game developer who has always done things his way. At this point in time maybe Yu Suzuki realizes that Shenmue doesn't have many options and is more open than he ever would be. I'd like to hear more of the communities outlook, I know just about everyone on this forum is diehard Yu Suzuki as well.

If Sega steps in, it’d be a positive. It’d mean they believe in this franchise and want to keep it in house. If Suzuki had access to 100 Sega employees, I’ve no doubt the next game would turn out better. The staff would be experienced, they’d have access to all the old resources, and they’d be much easier to work with than a ragtag group of new developers.

But I find a Sega-developed Shenmue IV much less likely than another Deep Silver-published Shenmue. If sales really weren’t that good, why would Sega take the risk in spending money on a sequel to a game that already had a tough history with Sega?

I also wonder how big of a company Ys Net actually is. I wonder how many people work there now that development for 3 is over. I can’t imagine they’d just all go home and abandon their work on UE4 unless Sega offered some incredible and unrealistic incentives to go with them.

Last edited:
If Sega steps in, it’d be a positive. It’d mean they believe in this franchise and want to keep it in house. If Suzuki had access to 100 Sega employees, I’ve no doubt the next game would turn out better. The staff would be experienced, they’d have access to all the old resources, and they’d be much easier to work with than a ragtag group of new developers.

But I find a Sega-developed Shenmue IV much less likely than another Deep Silver-published Shenmue. If sales really weren’t that good, why would Sega take the risk in spending money on a sequel to a game that already had a tough history with Sega?

I also wonder how big of a company Ys Net actually is. I wonder how many people work there now that development for 3 is over. I can’t imagine they’d just all go home and abandon their work on UE4 unless Sega offered some incredible and unrealistic incentives to go with them.

I pretty sure Sega is aware of the 70,000+ people who have already supported Shenmue 3. If Shenmue 3 never went to Kickstarter the numbers would be more impressive.

They could’ve easily stepped in after the world record breaking Kickstarter succeeded three times past its goal, yet the best we got out of them were some ok-ish Shenmue 1/2 ports with no patches or support a month after release.

I would love to see it happen. Don’t get me wrong. I just don’t see it. I definitely don’t see Nagoshi wanting to dedicate his staff to working on Shenmue IV either.

I only played Yakuza 3 and 4, so i'm not really up to date with the latest entries in the series, but for me, Yakuza and Shenmue are too different to be compared side by side as many people do. I get that Yakuza took its inspiration from Shenmue (the Creator/Director of Yakuza did work on Shenmue, after all...), and that there are some points in Yakuza that are very similar to Shenmue's.

But for me, the core of these games are too different to be compared directly. The ideology between the two games are way too different, so I think it's unfair to compare it so blatantly.

I'm with @Tsukuyomimagi99 in the accept-but-wouldn't-like camp. I would definitely prefer it to a manga continuation, or no continuation at all, but I would still far prefer they just build upon what they already created with S3. I also agree that if they were to have access to Sega's talent and engines, in a perfect world they could incorporate the VF5 engine for the combat instead. Or just continue building upon the S3 combat if that's what Yu wants. I personally quite adored it as is, and think it could be truly incredible if they were able to continue tweaking it, add throws, better ragdoll, etc in S4.

When it comes to story and character development.

Shenmue 1 and 2 remind of Naruto Shippuden
Shenmue 3 reminds me of Bleach

An odd comparison, but fans of each series might see where im coming from. Both great series btw.

Back