Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Scripts does not translate 1:1 to movies neither to videogames. People thinking that because the original script was written back in 1996 the story was already done is pretty ignorant of how a production process work. I think that some narratives decissions in the game are difficult to understand, but you have to addapt your story to your available resources to tell it, so if world building is key to tell it you have to build it, but then you run out of money for other things. I would love to shot a western, but with my resources it could be just a short movie with two characters or relocate the setting into modern day. What I mean, scripts are not set in stone, not even in Phantom River Stone, so try to balance and understand situations before start shitting through your mouths.

Also a little bit tired of all the "black or white" thing in the community, the game has good and bad things, you can love it, hate it, or think that is just ok, but for god sake, please stop being drama kings for a couple of days

When it comes to story and character development.

Shenmue 1 and 2 remind of Naruto Shippuden
Shenmue 3 reminds me of Bleach

An odd comparison, but fans of each series might see where im coming from. Both great series btw.
Yeah I don't get what this is trying to say, naruto and bleach are just two really popular series during the 00's and early 10's that I feel like when I ever se it brought up its just people generally complaining they go downhill in quality especially near the final arcs. Bleach more than the other, I see a fair amount of people that still liked naruto all the way through, bleach seemed to anger just about everyone by the end save for fans of the winning side of the love triangle that never actually was a love triangle in the first place.

(going bit off topic here) God even talking about naruto and bleach makes me feel old, the landscape of jump has changed so drastically since them and all traces of jump from the 00's they were prominent in have all ended after gintama finally called it quits last year. Outside of one piece (which is in its 2nd to last arc) and the zombie of hunter x hunter that shows its face for a few weeks every year or 2, theres no manga running anymore that didnt start in this decade and closer the middle of it at that. And hell even there alot of them are close to ending too as is with 2 of the biggest names right now, yaiba and neverland, both in their final arcs. Then you go and look at how the naruto guy's new series is pretty much on the verge of cancelation, its pretty alright if you like the style so its a shame to see it get cut short, but recent chapters already feel like they are setting up the rushed end, its called samurai 8 if anyone wants to read a potentially doa series.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't get what this is trying to say, naruto and bleach are just two really popular series during the 00's and early 10's that I feel like when I ever se it brought up its just people generally complaining they go downhill in quality especially near the final arcs. Bleach more than the other, I see a fair amount of people that still liked naruto all the way through, bleach seemed to anger just about everyone by the end save for fans of the winning side of the love triangle that never actually was a love triangle in the first place.

(going bit off topic here) God even talking about naruto and bleach makes me feel old, the landscape of jump has changed so drastically since them and all traces of jump from the 00's they were prominent in have all ended after gintama finally called it quits last year. Outside of one piece (which is in its 2nd to last arc) and the zombie of hunter x hunter that shows its face for a few weeks every year or 2, theres no manga running anymore that didnt start in this decade and closer the middle of it at that. And hell even there alot of them are close to ending too as is with 2 of the biggest names right now, yaiba and neverland, both in their final arcs. Then you go and look at how the naruto guy's new series is pretty much on the verge of cancelation, its pretty alright if you like the style so its a shame to see it get cut short, but recent chapters already feel like they are setting up the rushed end, its called samurai 8 if anyone wants to read a potentially doa series.

I'll just toss my 2 cents on this tangent here...Long running series needs to have a starting point and ending point already worked out before fleshing out the story with the in between. Draw/write as you go is the worst idea in manga or heck any creative works. A lot of "Final Arcs" in most shounen feels like its brainstormed the night before becuz "circumstances" so its time to end it.

I'll just toss my 2 cents on this tangent here...Long running series needs to have a starting point and ending point already worked out before fleshing out the story with the in between. Draw/write as you go is the worst idea in manga or heck any creative works. A lot of "Final Arcs" in most shounen feels like its brainstormed the night before becuz "circumstances" so its time to end it.
Thats fair but I'd argue alot of it is just down to how the writer can improvise the situation, like shingeki no kyojin is one where they had a specific ending in mind, it sucked, it was a shitty mist rip off where everyone died and nothing was answered. The author realized it was awful when the series got popular so he extended the series multiple volumes, and now what weactually have is a genuinely spectacular finale that even detractors of the series have come back to that retroactively improved the entire series immensely with its twists and context changes. And this is all stuff the author basically improvised somehow despite him being able to totally add new meaning to stuff as early as the first 20 some chapters.

Final arcs in jump run into alot of issues even if you have the ending planned, like I recall gintama making fun of that where they mention how you have to bring back every character from this 15+ year old series or else people will be let down they dont get to see em again, and in gintama's case its planned ending which was originally gonna only be in its final arc for like a year tops, ended up going 4 straight years of action/story arcs to conclude its series for that reason, keep in mind gintama was sort of episodic before that with occasionally arcs that would at most be 15-20 chapters long with those being the odd one out as most would be 4-6 chapters, the finale was nothing but 40+ long chapter arcs one after the other to wrap it up.

But generally i do think having some sort of goal in mind on how to end it works better, even if you need to change it midway to something that isnt even on the same wavelengths, like how shingeki did, cause that shit went from the mist to fucking gundam

Scripts does not translate 1:1 to movies neither to videogames. People thinking that because the original script was written back in 1996 the story was already done is pretty ignorant of how a production process work. I think that some narratives decissions in the game are difficult to understand, but you have to addapt your story to your available resources to tell it, so if world building is key to tell it you have to build it, but then you run out of money for other things. I would love to shot a western, but with my resources it could be just a short movie with two characters or relocate the setting into modern day. What I mean, scripts are not set in stone, not even in Phantom River Stone, so try to balance and understand situations before start shitting through your mouths.

Also a little bit tired of all the "black or white" thing in the community, the game has good and bad things, you can love it, hate it, or think that is just ok, but for god sake, please stop being drama kings for a couple of days

We need a clap reaction button. Well said!

Would you mind sharing a picture of your framed patches?

80561316_10157581334085803_1271604705264402432_n.jpg

I will probably print out the red and gold dojo mobile wallpaper to back it, that should look a lot tidier :D

Last edited:

Better ranked than Judgement at #5!

(Only surprised--nothing against Judgement. I've not bought it yet, unfortunately, but, I plan to play before i do Yakuza 6 or 0 because it sounds so amazing)

Better ranked than Judgement at #5!

(Only surprised--nothing against Judgement. I've not bought it yet, unfortunately, but, I plan to play before i do Yakuza 6 or 0 because it sounds so amazing)
judgment is a really solid entry as long as you can get past the insanely boring trailing missions, hope you enjoy it.

Haha, I should do a Judgment video in the style of Yahtzee and Jim Sterling and focus on all the stupidly designed shit and scream while I do it. That'll make me popular! My favorite bit is when you bug that one Yakuza office, they catch you, and somehow your bugs aren't discovered. Straight outta the Shenmue logic book...

(Loved Judgment btw)

Love tailing!! Best portion of MGS4 was the early trailing mission--aside from Shadow Moses. Gosh i wish the PW practice-makes-perfect loop were done then, so i could keep repeating similar trail-sneaking ops over and over haha.

Tailing in Judgment is just slowly following someone and hiding every ten seconds while they arbitrarily turn around and look around for no reason.

By the way get this the NPCs get stuck in doors and walk into walls all the time holy shit Nagoshi is a loser!!!!! And get this, you can’t even talk to them! Shenmue a shitty old Dreamsuck game had this feature in 2000!!! Can you say Yakusuck!!!???

Haha, I should do a Judgment video in the style of Yahtzee and Jim Sterling and focus on all the stupidly designed shit and scream while I do it. That'll make me popular! My favorite bit is when you bug that one Yakuza office, they catch you, and somehow your bugs aren't discovered. Straight outta the Shenmue logic book...

(Loved Judgment btw)
I remmember yahtzee always ragged on the yakuza games back in the day, 4 specifically, dont recall the specifics but it had something to do with liking the characters but thinking the presentation and use of cutscenes were bloated with the gameplay being bad.

Am I still holding that as a grudge 10 years later cause he was the biggest name even mentioning the series when it was in its dying breaths in the west but ragging on it and making it sound incompetent for whats considered its biggest strengths........noooooo i wouldnt.

I played my first run in Harf difficult, I am doing the same in my second/trophy hunt except when catching chickens, then temporary Easy, love the frustation once and the narrative behind once, but still my most hated part of the game mechanic wise, the timing in hard is insane

Love tailing!! Best portion of MGS4 was the early trailing mission--aside from Shadow Moses. Gosh i wish the PW practice-makes-perfect loop were done then, so i could keep repeating similar trail-sneaking ops over and over haha.

I agree; I LOVED tailing and found it quite the challenge at times.

Best of all, it was a mechanic that WORKED.

if you like VF5 or Fighting Vipers, you should know they're both in Judgment. I think Kiwami 2's got Virtual On OT. def. a bit of an advantage over shenmue 3's arcade, but i gotta say, lads, i fuckin' adore that whack a mole machine.

Back