Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I saw a post on Twitter of someone asking for a strategy guide for Shemue 3. That got me thinking someone should start a Kickstarter and make a Shenmue 3 strategy guide. I would definitely back this.

Or maybe the Shenmue community could launch a Tweetathon asking a strategy guide company to pick up Shenmue 3. I'm not so sure this would work I think Prima Games Guide went out of business.

5000 I think

Shoutout to @ShenmueMaster I just got done watching his unboxing video of Shenmue 1&2 Pix'n Love edition. The certificate of authenticity has 950 being the total number of copies released worldwide.

Yeah. I was just arguing with some guy on Reddit who thinks Shenmue needs to be developed by RGG so it's more like Yakuza. Fuck that. There are a zillion Yakuzas and three Shenmue games. For better or worse, I prefer Shenmue to maintain its own identity.
Your main mistake was engaging with someone from Reddit about anything! Even the Yakuza fans on there are braindead fools - its just a load of memes and hate against Yakuza 7 sprinkled in with "when is Kiwami 3 coming, old graphics hurt my eyes".

Playing Shenmue 3 has made me really get into martial arts, to the point where I've been rewatching Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves, an old BBC3 show I loved when I was at school.

Anybody else seen it? It's a magazine/doc/street magic style series about different kung fu and martial arts styles presented by Chris Crudelli; someone who I'm certain is capable of killing a man with his bare hands.

Playing Shenmue 3 has made me really get into martial arts, to the point where I've been rewatching Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves, an old BBC3 show I loved when I was at school.

Anybody else seen it? It's a magazine/doc/street magic style series about different kung fu and martial arts styles presented by Chris Crudelli; someone who I'm certain is capable of killing a man with his bare hands.
lol yeah. when i was play s3 i was having flashbacks to learning karate as a kid. the only thing i was really good at was blocking punches. playing s3 did give me the urge to practice again but its a bit hard on your own lol.

I go to kickboxing and spar every week but playing Shenmue 3s really made me want to up my game. I'm gonna have to get one of those freestanding punch bags to kick the crap out of in the garden

I like P5's story, but its the characters of P4 that get me every time. There is something about that group of rag tags that is just downright endearing to me. More so than the cast of P5. Also, I think I almost prefer the small town vibes of Inaba over Tokyo.

Maybe U/I have something in common...P5 is very edgy/SJW-ish so as someone who isn't in-tuned with that you won't find yourself clicking with the cast/plot...as I wasn't able to & I'd admit it took me awhile to tolerate the cringe. Not hating tho, overall I still find it decently likeable.

P4 is like...twin peaks with lots of character development. The Social link system gameplay loop compliments and adds value to the characters enhancing the cast further after their dedicated arc in the main plot. I love this aspect. Things you find out via progressing the main story-line are expanded and fleshed out as a sort of character epilogue if you desire to know more about certain party members. Also, Teddy is comedy gold.

Maybe U/I have something in common...P5 is very edgy/SJW-ish so as someone who isn't in-tuned with that you won't find yourself clicking with the cast/plot...as I wasn't able to & I'd admit it took me awhile to tolerate the cringe. Not hating tho, overall I still find it decently likeable.

P4 is like...twin peaks with lots of character development. The Social link system gameplay loop compliments and adds value to the characters enhancing the cast further after their dedicated arc in the main plot. I love this aspect. Things you find out via progressing the main story-line are expanded and fleshed out as a sort of character epilogue if you desire to know more about certain party members. Also, Teddy is comedy gold.

No the story didn't bother me with P5. The basic "the Adults are all corrupt" was one of the things I really liked about it. P5 had a bit of a Death Note vibe through and through that I really liked (right down to Joker and Goro basically being L and Light.)

The political side of P5 was kind of the most interesting thing about it to me. I think the thing for me about P5's cast is that they just didn't have the same impact that the P4 cast did. There wasn't one character who I didn't enjoy engaging with in P4 whereas I can't say the same for P5...I personally didn't really care all that much for Yusuke, I didn't care much for Haru (I thought she was woefully underdeveloped and rushed). Whereas I cared about everyone in P4 and invested in every one of the main group.

I quite like P5's story and style, but I felt the characters weren't up to scratch with the cast of P4 and that's where P4 wins it for me. I'll take the entire cast of P4 over P5's cast any day of the week.

Also P4 did a way better job of balancing the serious weight of its main story and slice of life humour. Whereas I felt P5 kinda lacked in the humour department. There was no Substance X moment in P5 or anything that came close and that I kinda missed. There's a few cute moments in P5 but nothing that matched P4.

That all said, I do like P5 though...but P4 is the one I find myself going back to way more often.

Your main mistake was engaging with someone from Reddit about anything! Even the Yakuza fans on there are braindead fools - its just a load of memes and hate against Yakuza 7 sprinkled in with "when is Kiwami 3 coming, old graphics hurt my eyes".
I mean dislike for 7 is totally understandable given the genre change to something thats definitely not for everyone, the simple fact is its going to divide the fanbase no matter how the game turns out and hell I dont seem to be alone in liking turn based stuff and just hoping its a one off. but kiwami 3 is a statement that makes my gut sink. I'm so happy they stopped at 2, the series doesnt need to get caught up in the past remaking its old properties.

I mean dislike for 7 is totally understandable given the genre change to something thats definitely not for everyone, the simple fact is its going to divide the fanbase no matter how the game turns out and hell I dont seem to be alone in liking turn based stuff and just hoping its a one off. but kiwami 3 is a statement that makes my gut sink. I'm so happy they stopped at 2, the series doesnt need to get caught up in the past remaking its old properties.
There are reddit users who hate 7 so much they are literally telling fans to "kill themselves". So yeah, I logged out after that rubbish (and its not really one isolated case, which is... concerning).

The Kiwami 3 stuff though makes me laugh more than anything, because the thought that older graphics somehow make a game unplayable never fails to tickle me. Well that and the users asking for Kiwami 5 - because of course a low budget remake with 1 year (tops) of dev time would result in a perfect remake of that game, certainly wouldn't result in cut content!
I guess what confuses me more is that the remasters exist, so I don't get why people are also asking for remakes. Sega clearly doesn't care to remake the games, if they did then we wouldn't have got the remasters in the first place. At least with Kenzan I can see why people are asking for a remake despite its rather unlikely chance, but a remake of 3? I'll take my 60FPS console experience thank you very much!

I don’t even get diehard Yakuza fans. They already have a dozen games that take tons of time to complete. How are they so desperate for more? I get burned out a bit every time I play one and need a long break.

I don’t even get diehard Yakuza fans. They already have a dozen games that take tons of time to complete. How are they so desperate for more?
Funny you should mention that, as I've got no clue either. My actual hope this year is that the only new Yakuza we get is 7. I've got several I want to replay in various fashions so its not as if I'm exactly hurting for more, especially when 7 looks absolutely enormous on its own.

Back