Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Does anyone else miss characters teaching you moves, like they did in the first two games? Other than Delin's brother, I don't believe any characters actually teach you moves, do they? It seems like a wasted opportunity, given all the characters who could potentially teach Ryo something.

There were a few instances where you are taught moves in 3, but I miss the way they did it in 1 and 2. Being talked through the form and phases of the moves and having them corresponding to different button presses helped to create a more genuine experience.

I guess changing the way that the face buttons worked in S3 made this difficult to implement though hence why why got the multi input QTE’s instead.

Last edited:
There were a few instances where you are taught moves in 3, but I miss the way they did it in 1 and 2. Being tales the rough the form and phases of the moves and having them corresponding to different button presses help create a more genuine experience.

I guess changing the way that the face buttons worked in S3 made this difficult to implement though hence why why got the multi input QTE’s instead.

Do you just mean the story related ones? I know with the changes to the combat it wouldn't be quite the same, but I think I'd still enjoy it. With the first two games I think it always gave characters a bit more substance and contributes to the bonds Ryo creates with several characters. One criticism with Shenmue 3 is the characters Ryo meets are more forgettable and have weak development. I still can't even remember broom girl's name. It would have been cool if some of these characters would have tought Ryo some new moves. Even better if some were optional, missable scenes for the player to discover through multiple playthroughs.

Do you just mean the story related ones? I know with the changes to the combat it wouldn't be quite the same, but I think I'd still enjoy it. With the first two games I think it always gave characters a bit more substance and contributes to the bonds Ryo creates with several characters. One criticism with Shenmue 3 is the characters Ryo meets are more forgettable and have weak development. I still can't even remember broom girl's name. It would have been cool if some of these characters would have tought Ryo some new moves. Even better if some were optional, missable scenes for the player to discover through multiple playthroughs.
Yes, I was referring to the two story moves. AFAIK these and Delin’s brother were the only three in the game.

It’s hard to argue with anything you’ve said really. Having some of the characters teach missable moves would have encouraged the player to interact with other characters a little more which in turn would increase the opportunity for development. On my first playthrough I actually thought I’d missed out on all of the character building with fat man and broom girl due to their significance later on and so was excited to go back and try and interact with them more the second time around. It was obviously a little disappointing when I realized that I’d already seen all there was to see.

Is it just me or does the model of Liu, seem better than the average?

latest

Does anyone else miss characters teaching you moves, like they did in the first two games? Other than Delin's brother, I don't believe any characters actually teach you moves, do they? It seems like a wasted opportunity, given all the characters who could potentially teach Ryo something.

Definitely miss that along with people carrying umbrellas and most of all people showing Ryo the way to an area or store.
I loved looking around at everything while the computer took over.

With the limitations of S3 its understandable. Hopefully it can be implemented in S4.

I've been doing a New Game+ starting with Niaowu so that I can play the new DLC, and I've given Smart Ball more of a chance this time. It's actually pretty fun. I like that there are a lot of ways to experiment with the physics of the launcher/plunger to affect where the balls go.

I definitely agree with those who said that Smart Ball is better than Lucky Hit at this point. Lucky Hit was cool in Shenmue II, but it doesn't need to be a staple of every Shenmue game and it's annoying that it took precedence over darts.

Back