Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I discovered I like trying to talk to Shenhua when I'm standing directly behind her like a psychopath.

878670_screenshots_20201120142638_1.jpg
878670_screenshots_20201120142641_1.jpg

Also she suddenly lost interest in talking to me when I revealed I'm a gamer...

Edit: When can I start finding Bailu-chan figures in the village btw? I saved the DLC until my Steam playthrough so I'm not sure how all that works.

I discovered I like trying to talk to Shenhua when I'm standing directly behind her like a psychopath.

View attachment 9735
View attachment 9736

Also she suddenly lost interest in talking to me when I revealed I'm a gamer...

Edit: When can I start finding Bailu-chan figures in the village btw? I saved the DLC until my Steam playthrough so I'm not sure how all that works.
I think you have to get to Niawou before battle rally/Bailu-Chan can be accessed.

And only after playing only the first level of battle rally did I realize Bailu Chan completions are required for new rally stages haha

wasn't too fussed, all stages are addictive and I was getting back into the groove after a long hiatus.

What with the Steam release and now the new LRG Collector's Edition, I started counting this morning just how many copies of this bloody game I now own:
  • 1x Backer $1,300 pledge copy (PS4)
  • 1x Backer copy (EPIC)
  • 1x Digital Deluxe (PS4)
  • 1x Digital Deluxe (EPIC)
  • 2x Retail Day One Edition (PS4)
  • 1x Retail Day One Edition + Steelbook (PS4)
  • 1x Regular European Collector's Edition (PS4)
  • 1x PixNLove Limited Edition (PS4)
  • 1x Limited Run Games Collector's Edition (PS4)
  • 1x Digital Standard Edition (Steam)
  • 1x Limited Run Games Complete Edition Collector's Edition (PS4)
12 bloody copies! All to shove up just one person's greedy fat arse.

They can't say fans haven't supported this series haha.

So for me:
1x Backer PS4 copy $500 pledge
1x Epic backer copy (now steam as well)
1x Bought Copy on Steam, gifted to a friend.
1x Digital Deluxe (PS4)
1x Digital Deluxe (EPIC)
1x Retail Day 1 Edition (PS4)
1x USA Retail Day 1 Edition + Steelbook
1x Collectors Edition EU (PS4)
1x LRG Collectors Edition (PS4)
1x PixNLove Limited Edition (PS4)
1x LRG Complete Collectors Edition (PS4)

11 copies..... ouch, I reckon I could have bought a new shed with all of that! Worth it though.

Also slung my review on Steam this morning. 86% positive reviews is good. Some newbies in there too which is great to see.

Give us Shenmue 4 now dammit! Maybe not right now as I think my Mrs will kill me if I splurge any more on this franchise so quickly!

Yeah, they found their strategy. They realised that if they can't broaden the series' appeal and sell the game to more people, they can instead increase sales by re-selling the same game to the same people. I think that's why there have been so many different versions with different exclusive items, because they know we're the kind of fanbase that needs to collect anything Shenmue related.

Yeah, they found their strategy. They realised that if they can't broaden the series' appeal and sell the game to more people, they can instead increase sales by re-selling the same game to the same people. I think that's why there have been so many different versions with different exclusive items, because they know we're the kind of fanbase that needs to collect anything Shenmue related.
The question is how long will this work for? I mean, eventually, people will start the clamor for Shenmue 4 over varying editions of the games we already own.

The question is how long will this work for? I mean, eventually, people will start the clamor for Shenmue 4 over varying editions of the games we already own.
I think Shenmue 3 will now be done, but I'd love more Shenmue merch, particularly stuff that ties in with the new anime. I'm not sure what really contributes to YS and helps Shenmue 4's existence though.

Yeah, its a good strategy. They've got every last dollar out of everyone for Shenmue 3 which is a good thing and how they should approach future projects

We've had the following for Shenmue 3

PS4 physical release
Epic games release
Shenmue 3 Collector's edition
Collectors edition - Limited run version
Pix and love edition
Shenmue 3 Complete collection (Limited run)
Shenmue 3 soundtrack and vinyls
Shenmue 3 Steam release

With that said, I think the Shenmue 3 train has reached its end. I think if they release any more expensive Shenmue 3 merch, fans will start to raise their eyebrows and rebel.

Going forward, they need to focus on the anime and Shenmue 4, and then "remilk" the fandom with merchandise from those entries.

Do this all the way until the end of the series and everyone wins. We get all the games made, along with tons of Shenmue items and collectibles, they make lots of money and have the funds to make awesome Shenmue sequels and other games

Win/win situation

Yeah, its a good strategy. They've got every last dollar out of everyone for Shenmue 3 which is a good thing and how they should approach future projects

We've had the following for Shenmue 3

PS4 physical release
Epic games release
Shenmue 3 Collector's edition
Collectors edition - Limited run version
Pix and love edition
Shenmue 3 Complete collection (Limited run)
Shenmue 3 soundtrack and vinyls
Shenmue 3 Steam release

With that said, I think the Shenmue 3 train has reached its end. I think if they release any more expensive Shenmue 3 merch, fans will start to raise their eyebrows and rebel.

Going forward, they need to focus on the anime and Shenmue 4, and then "remilk" the fandom with merchandise from those entries.

Do this all the way until the end of the series and everyone wins. We get all the games made, along with tons of Shenmue items and collectibles, they make lots of money and have the funds to make awesome Shenmue sequels and other games

Win/win situation

Back in 2019, I had a hunch they'd probably cap off Shenmue 3's lifespan in 2020 with a final 'Definitive Edition' that would collect all the DLC in one package for a final milking. Granted, Deep Silver has no plans to offer something like this at retail as explained by Josh from LRG on Twitter, so we got the next best thing: a limited Complete Edition exclusive to LRG.

With no retail version of this Complete Edition in the pipeline, and Cedric still expressing that there are no plans for an Xbox release, then I agree that the Shenmue 3 train has now indeed reached its end with the Steam and LRG releases. Bring on Shenmue 4!

Last edited:
Back in 2019, I had a hunch they'd probably cap off Shenmue 3's lifespan in 2020 with a final 'Definitive Edition' that would collect all the DLC in one package for a final milking. Granted, Deep Silver has no plans to offer something like this at retail as explained by Josh from LRG on Twitter, so we got the next best thing: a limited Complete Edition exclusive to LRG.

With no retail version of this Complete Edition in the pipeline, and Cedric still expressing that there are no plans for an Xbox release, then I agree that the Shenmue 3 train has now indeed reached its end with the Steam and LRG releases. Bring on Shenmue 4!
Yeah, i think its a perfect time to wrap things up with Shenmue 3. All the backers should receive the last of their rewards next month and all versions of the game have been released and sold.

I'll always support the series, but there is a growing fear in the back of my mind that says that if they keep making expensive Shenmue 3 merchandise and not throw the community a bone with a sequel or anime, then the community will start to interpret that as they're willing to milk them for money but not give anything back. I'm hoping we don't ever reach that stage.

That point is made invalid though if they solely focus on the anime going forward and especially when an announcement of Shenmue 4 is made.

Does anyone know what this red flyer says?

View attachment 9773
I can’t read or speak Chinese, but I put that picture through google translate, and it said ‘Good health and good luck every year’. Since it’s Google, I don’t know how accurate it is, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Couldn't resist, just bought it on gog. Looking forward to have a descent pc to play it on eventually.
Already had physical kickstarter ps4 and pc version, ps4 collector's edition plus ps4 season pass :-)

Back