Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Found this amazing tour video around the Ancient City of Fenguang (Phoenix Town) that inspired Shenmue 3's city of Niaowu; check it out.

In this video we can clearly see how well Yu Suzuki and Ys Net captured the essence and atmosphere of this city with its historic backgroud and street shops and food stalls.

Last edited:
Just a random thought, do you think there was an alternative script for Ren’s reemergence in Shenmue 3? While the scene was funny it was felt a little underwhelming for such a pivotal character to suddenly reappear like that.

I even wonder within Shenmue 3’s development when the character perspective system was around if you had a playable section as Ren before he showed up.

Just a random thought, do you think there was an alternative script for Ren’s reemergence in Shenmue 3? While the scene was funny it was felt a little underwhelming for such a pivotal character to suddenly reappear like that.

I even wonder within Shenmue 3’s development when the character perspective system was around if you had a playable section as Ren before he showed up.
Yeah it felt really underwhelming, that and the fact that Ren and Shenhua don’t even really directly interact with each other. Obviously they can’t really avoid it now with where S3 left us, so looking forward to seeing this dynamic in S4 :)

When you're chasing the red spiders through Niaowu and one of them lobs the fire extinguiser at Ryo, I imagined one of them running through the markets straight into Ren's outstreched fist sending them flying in spectacular clothesline fashion, before he emerges and give Ryo shit for letting those chumps get the better of him.

Last edited:

I don't think they had much else planned for his intro personally. Maybe if there were other reasons for him to show up, but I can't really think of any. Like other character moments in the game, it's pretty good...it just feels like it could've been longer, with more plot discussion.

Shenhua in Bailu is really the only time it feels like they explore a character adequately. Thankfully Ren kinda makes up for his brief intro with several quality moments.

I even wonder within Shenmue 3’s development when the character perspective system was around if you had a playable section as Ren before he showed up
It seems a lot of people around here feel this way. I actually thought it was really good, introducing Ren in some dramatic way wouldn't suit his character and feel more out of place for Shenmue than anything else. That being said, maybe they could have made it 'cooler' than him haggling with a street vendor but I think for the purposes of the game it worked more than it didn't

I personally didn't have a problem with Ren's introduction in this game. Overall, it felt pretty fitting for his character and the nature of his and Ryo's relationship.

One thing that I really liked was when Ryo said "That Ren could easily pass for a Red Snake." It felt like a callback to Ryo's "That Ren..." line from Shenmue II, but more natural sounding. I thought it was a nice touch, especially considering how much of the localization was inconsistent with the first two games.

Shenmue 3 w/ free steelbook once added to cart - $9.99

I was pretty aghast at it, honestly. I didn't understand how he brushed Ryo off completely - I know that's Ren personality, and consistent with his attitude in Shenmue 2, but he was literally following Ryo specifically this time - why blow him off when he finally caught up with him? Just found it strange. And no mention as to how he figured out Ryo was in Niaowu.

I was pretty aghast at it, honestly. I didn't understand how he brushed Ryo off completely - I know that's Ren personality, and consistent with his attitude in Shenmue 2, but he was literally following Ryo specifically this time - why blow him off when he finally caught up with him? Just found it strange. And no mention as to how he figured out Ryo was in Niaowu.
I don't think he was looking for Ryo specifically or that he tracked him to Niaowu. He was just on a personal hunt for the treasure Zhu mentioned (he says this explicitly), and them crossing paths was pure luck. This is more believable if you consider Niaowu appears to be the closest city to Bailu (pretty sure residence of Bailu talk about Niaowu as a place locals go to gamble, etc.)

Thank you to everyone who tuned in last night for this.

We raised £181 for Special Effect, smashing our £100 goal. Team Radio Sega have a target of £1000 in total and we're currently at £690 with the rest of the weekend to go.

Make sure you check out Radio Sega's page for more streams, competitions and more this weekend!

Looking at some of the old concept art shared by Suzuki during KS, I realized this was from the opening. Pretty cool I thought-

[]1614583594230.jpeg

1614583937977.jpeg

yPiRdGY.jpg

Last edited:
Back