Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I love this detail that Ryo have to walk in this part and i will explain why i think this way.

I remember that some people said that this is a load part, i don't know if this is true but this just shows to me the brilliant ideas Yu Suzuki have.

I have a friend that knows a lot of things about chinese culture, i talked with my friend about this part and my friend said...

"This is Emperor Jade, the sacred censers and Chinese porcelain. This is sacred. Cai Shen and Jade Emperor are the most important gods in traditional Chinese Taoism."

I'm reading a lot about Buddhism and Taoism, this is super interesting for me.

It makes sense that Ryo can't run in this part, it makes sense that this is to show respect, i love this idea because we can learn a lot of things about asian culture with Shenmue and this is beautiful, i love this part in Shenmue III.

Like i said other times it is the different and unique things about Shenmue that makes Shenmue so special to me, the beautiful details and much more.

1640205683916.png

ThePromenade.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

caishen-chinese-god-of-wealth.jpg

Last edited:
I can't find this on their official channels, but I'll trust that's from YS Net. I think that's a brand new greeting card as well, and not just a recycled Kickstarter one.

I do not know why everyone started to hate this game, especially with that one e-celeb video absolutely trashing on the game.

I've just beaten Shenmue III after not playing the game for two years soley because of the hunger mechanic & loved everything about the story, nothing felt tiring to play even when getting the 5000 Yuan for the skill & even getting the 50 year old wine thing. I love everything about Bailu as well as it was worth the years long wait to see the place. Lastly Shenhua is one of the hottest characters ever!

Bit of a hot take here. Not the worst article about the game i've ever read, but I think that some bits are twisted to fit the author's narrative.

The person made the comparison with Yakuza and said that envisioned Shenmue to have the charm of Yakuza, thinks Shenmue III is antiquated and dated and much more.

Shenmue III have the same style as the previous games and there is nothing wrong with doing a game like this in the recent days, is just a different style, artists have different styles and this is good for the game industry, this type of diversity is good in my opinion.

Shenmue III was never supposed to be the end of the story, even Yu Suzuki said that before Shenmue III release so of course it ended on another cliffhanger and there is nothing wrong with this in my opinion.

Some people really think that Shenmue is just about Ryo wanting to kill Lan Di, that is easy for Yu Suzuki to end the story, that he could have ended the story in Shenmue III with Ryo killing Lan Di or something like that, i will never understand this. I respect that people have different opinions i just don't understand this type of critics about Shenmue.

Last edited:

Bit of a hot take here. Not the worst article about the game i've ever read, but I think that some bits are twisted to fit the author's narrative.
Shenmue III ending the saga would have been categorically terrible and an absolute waste of the setup of the previous games. I'm glad Yu Suzuki went with his gut and concluded it wouldn't have been satisfying to force an ending just for the sake of it.

Deficiencies with the story presentation aside, the project would have had the very same limits on resources as the finished product we got, except it'd have far more ground to cover, and would have to skip over the slower, more intimate parts that Shenmue III did genuinely well.

His argument just isn't very well reasoned at all, which is why I expect he felt the need to twist parts to suit it.

Shenmue III ending the saga would have been categorically terrible and an absolute waste of the setup of the previous games. I'm glad Yu Suzuki went with his gut and concluded it wouldn't have been satisfying to force an ending just for the sake of it.

Deficiencies with the story presentation aside, the project would have had the very same limits on resources as the finished product we got, except it'd have far more ground to cover, and would have to skip over the slower, more intimate parts that Shenmue III did genuinely well.

His argument just isn't very well reasoned at all, which is why I expect he felt the need to twist parts to suit it.
Just an example of a poorly thought through media article on Shenmue.

I'm not sure why people do this other than to get clicks.

. I'm glad Yu Suzuki went with his gut and concluded it wouldn't have been satisfying to force an ending just for the sake of it.

I remember Yu Suzuki saying that if he ended in Shenmue III it wouldn't have a satisfying ending, something like this. i'm glad about this as well, i'm glad that Yu Suzuki continued to do what he truly believes is the best for his story/series.

I really don't want Shenmue to be like GTA, Yakuza, Watch dogs or any other games, Shenmue is Shenmue and this why i love so much this game series.

Yu Suzuki even said one time that he wish one day he can create a game with a closed world but not an ordinary world, a closed but deep world, and i really hope he can make this game. The first game is like this and it is a masterpiece to me, Bailu Village is similar and it is one of my favorite locations in the Shenmue world.

Even Yu Suzuki said that Bailu is Shenmue one style and Niaowu is more Shenmue II style.

Shenmue have a different vibe, style and pace, i know is not for everybody's tastes but i really don't understand this type of critics about Shenmue.

Last edited:
I think beyond a poor grasp of what Shenmue is about, they also demonstrate a weak understanding of what makes a satisfying story.

Nobody would find it interesting if Ryo could just steamroll his objectives for the sake of definitive closure. Nothing about Shenmue's story so far indicates that Ryo is capable of taking on Lan Di and winning without first having lost to him and initiating some kind of dark night of the soul that forces Ryo to confront his lack of skill and finally accept what others have been telling him about his revenge quest. Neither winning or losing to Lan Di is a credible ending if Shenmue III was planned to be the last game, so disappointment is inevitable in this scenario.

Criticisms of Shenmue III's story have been done to death so I won't recap, but at the very least it leaves the possibilities open with an ending that shakes up the status quo enough to be a strong springboard to sequel. A blunted ending would have left a sour taste in everybody's mouth for no discernible benefit beyond pandering to non-fans who wrongly believed it was supposed to be a trilogy.

I agree with Spaghetti.

In the ending of Shenmue III Ryo had his first real battle with Lan Di, even Iwao couldn't hit Lan Di in the first game so i'm glad that the first fight between Ryo and Lan Di happen this way with Ryo losing, i like the first fight and Ryo will probably mature more and this will be beautiful to see. I like that Ryo is developing little by little, i enjoy this way.

Like i said other times Shenmue to me is about seeing Ryo living his journey, is about the people he meets and what he learns from them, it is about Ryo's development as a martial artist and as a character, it is about friendship and much more.

What is the most important is not the destination, what is the most important is the journey, and to me it is beautiful to see this slow pace and beautiful journey.

I feel that Yu Suzuki had a lot of problems in the development of the game, and i feel that he wanted to do more with the game but because of money and time it was not possible so sadly it is what it is, but to me it is amazing that Yu Suzuki and the team did everything from scratch with limited budget, what they achieved is something really beautiful in my opinion, now for Shenmue IV the resources are there.

Overall Shenmue III is a beautiful and unique game to me, i love Shenmue III.

Most likely a Zoomer wrote that article.

He was probably born with a mobile phone with internet access in his hand. I pay little attention to that generation of computer gamers. Sod 'em.

I seriously got no clue why people are persistent on wanting to turn Shenmue into a Yakuza game. Just play the damn Yakuza games instead. Even Sega was smart enough to differentiate its Yakuza spin-off, Lost Judgement, from the mainline titles by shifting one of them into a full-blown JRPG. Imagine if these people got what they wished for: Sega would now have 3 IPs that play exactly like each other, just under different names. How fun and exciting would that be, huh?
Wouldn't it be much easier to just watch the Shenmue anime in its entirety when it comes out for the story, then mod a Ryo model into one of the Yakuza games of their liking to have your fill game wise and be done with this nonsense?

Ok, the guy who wrote it is of my generation. He acts like an entitled zoomer though.

Jesus christ, he gets a Mega CD from his parents. He's a right proper Verruca Salt.

(Sorry, bit drunk cuz it's Crimbo.)

Yeah, sorry, probably shouldn't have posted it as it's giving him the attention he craves (i've really gone off Zero Punctuation in recent years too). In fact, i'm getting rather tired of cynical, "humourous" articles. There's a fellow who writes for The Guardian (UK newspaper) and his gaming articles are well written, passionate and educational. His articles in film and music on the other hand is cringeworthy; trying to be edgy and humourous.

His last article was bragging how Tom Cruise sent him a Christmas Cake via private plane. Tone deaf at best. And yet his articles on old Sega games are wonderful...

Shenmue is in a unique position where it is a well known name, but no many people actually play it.
Which makes it perfect for these kinds of shitty articles because the Author knows he can make shit up and it will get clicks and no push back whatsoever

I personally try to call out these Yakuza comparisons when I can, but for sites like Resetera where I don't have an account, I have no choice but to shake my head from the sidelines

It'd be great if someone with a large platform can call out these lazy, factually untrue comparisons

Critics that i will never understand about Shenmue: Shenmue should have the Yakuza charm, Yakuza is Shenmue done in the right way. Shenmue III is dated, Shenmue aged poorly, it is wrong to do a game in this style today. Shenmue III ended on another cliffhanger and Yu Suzuki learned nothing in this 18 years. Scam artist, you can kiss Shenmue 4 goodbye now due to your short sided decision, it is never going to happen.

This and much more i will never understand. The game industry right now is something that i don't understand because of this things and much more.

I respect different opinions but i will never agree with this things. In one interview Yu Suzuki even said that he knew people would be mad if he didn't make Shenmue III open world, but he wish that one day he can make a game that will have a closed world but a very deep world, i would love to see this game.

I really feel sad for Yu Suzuki because of this things and because it is hard for him to have the opportunities to continue this beautiful saga, another reason is because he had to compromise his vision, about the story and even about the gameplay, like i said other time i hope someday we can at least read the content about Baisha, Luoyang, Pagoda Forest, the train chapter and much more, would be beautiful to read and learn about all the locations he wrote for the story, all the 11 chapters. I'm glad that we will see some cut content in the anime, this will add even more to the Shenmue story.

If i had lots of money like Bill Gates for example i would give the money that Yu Suzuki needs to complete this saga in a way that he really want to do. With the vibe, style, pace and gameplay he really want to do.

Critics that i will never understand about Shenmue: Shenmue should have the Yakuza charm, Yakuza is Shenmue done in the right way. Shenmue III is dated, Shenmue aged poorly, it is wrong to do a game in this style today. Shenmue III ended on another cliffhanger and Yu Suzuki learned nothing in this 18 years. Scam artist, you can kiss Shenmue 4 goodbye now due to your short sided decision, it is never going to happen.

This and much more i will never understand. The game industry right now is something that i don't understand because of this things and much more.

I respect different opinions but i will never agree with this things. In one interview Yu Suzuki even said that he knew people would be mad if he didn't make Shenmue III open world, but he wish that one day he can make a game that will have a closed world but a very deep world, i would love to see this game.

I really feel sad for Yu Suzuki because of this things and because it is hard for him to have the opportunities to continue this beautiful saga, another reason is because he had to compromise his vision, about the story and even about the gameplay, like i said other time i hope someday we can at least read the content about Baisha, Luoyang, Pagoda Forest, the train chapter and much more, would be beautiful to read and learn about all the locations he wrote for the story, all the 11 chapters. I'm glad that we will see some cut content in the anime, this will add even more to the Shenmue story.

If i had lots of money like Bill Gates for example i would give the money that Yu Suzuki needs to complete this saga in a way that he really want to do. With the vibe, style, pace and gameplay he really want to do.
Merry belated X-mas!

Back