Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Here's a translation of the text:
"Design - front"
"Design - rear"
"The patterns are all embroidery"
Thanks; could had some clue about the character or the symbology of what he was wearing.

Thanks; could had some clue about the character or the symbology of what he was wearing.
The dragon and patterns match up with Lan Di and Old Castle. I guess he would have just been an envoy of Lan Di's. I thought the section felt random where you collect the 3 antiques for the shopkeeper in the old caste, maybe that was originally a section where you confront Lan Di's envoy but it was cut because of the budget, and they put a side quest there instead, and made it mandatory. Have no evidence at all though for this theory lol.

ive always thought how cool it would be if shenmue 3 was on the dreamcast. i think this clip showing S3 (pc) on lowest specs is the closest we can get.

you can kinda imagine it running on a dreamcast.

The dragon and patterns match up with Lan Di and Old Castle. I guess he would have just been an envoy of Lan Di's. I thought the section felt random where you collect the 3 antiques for the shopkeeper in the old caste, maybe that was originally a section where you confront Lan Di's envoy but it was cut because of the budget, and they put a side quest there instead, and made it mandatory. Have no evidence at all though for this theory lol.
I always assumed that the old castle side quest was added due to Baisha being cut. Iirc, one of the stretch goals promised an expanded side quest in Baisha, which they were obviously unable to fulfill without moving it to the old castle. On closet inspection, this seems to line up with the information given in Kickstarter update #104.

Not gonna lie, that screenshot gives Ryo's design a Dreamcast-like roughness that I like more than the overly smooth S3 design.

Last edited:
Did anyone else wonder how it its possible for Ryo and Shenhua to spend nearly 20 years in a cave and not come out of it with even 1 kid? No? Just me? :LOL:

Lol reminds me of this pic I found, spoilering it and will warn twice that it contains adult (verbal) humor:

20210823_072258.jpg

One thing that really left me scratching my head in Shenmue 3 was the need for two gangs as antagonists. I wouldn't have known that the red snakes/blue spiders were two separate organisations until I learned it in the dlc. I always assumed that Yanglang was a sub-boss in the red snakes and muscles was the head honcho. The supposed conflict between the gangs was never explored and it makes you wonder if Yu intended to flesh this out more but due to restraints, couldn't fit it in.

If I had to piece things together, I'd say that Niao Sun (who seemingly has influence over the gangs in Guilin), pitted the red snakes and blue spiders against each other to kidnap Yuan and the other stone makers in order to earn her favour. The Red Snakes swooped in first, were a little more competent and got their men, while the blue snakes were left with the crumbs. The thing I find really interesting, and it was never expanded on, was that Niao Sun was very close to Shenhua and Ryo's whereabouts from as early as the Bailu village chapter. There's a reason why she boarded the same boat as them to Niawou and it wasn't a coincidence. If her role in this game was fleshed out more, the story would have been way more satisfying. The pieces are there, they were just never used.

An interesting retrospective on Shenmue III. Some bits that were a bit inaccurate (but nothing too bad), but a fair analysis I think. Nice shout out to the Dojo and Phantom River Stone too.

Playing Horizon Forbidden West, I am just blown away by the facial animation and general quality of the NPC character models. Can’t help wondering what a prospective Shenmue 4 could look like using Decima engine, a pipe dream I know.

I hope UE 5 has some smart solutions to help bridge that huge gap if we get another game.

Shenmue III on Steam had a good percentage of good new analysis for quite some time, I think it was 91% but now a few days passed it has dropped to 58%

If you like/love Shenmue III then i recommend you do a analysis there, if you want of course. Shenmue is a struggling franchise, every support is important.

1647788146691.png

Back