Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm playing for the first time and I got to the part where I have to buy a drink that costs 2000 in order to progress in the story. Jesus Christ, chopping wood is boring, Ryo looks like a robot. Collecting herbs is even worse. Just now that I was starting to like the game.

I'm playing for the first time and I got to the part where I have to buy a drink that costs 2000 in order to progress in the story. Jesus Christ, chopping wood is boring, Ryo looks like a robot. Collecting herbs is even worse. Just now that I was starting to like the game.

I personally enjoyed herb collecting but unlike previous game I feel like thereโ€™s plenty of options to find your lane in terms of earning money. Like gambling, or what to increase your odds without save scumming? Then visit fortunate teller before putting on bets on colour games. Enjoyed exploring scenery? Collect and sell large herb collections to easily earn a ton of money. Prefer to earn money through jobs? Then you have fishing and wood chopping.

The point I am making is you have plenty of options to hopefully discover what you like the most. I personally barely touched fishing but dipped my toes into rest of the games systems and ways to earn money.

I think the most interesting aspect of Shenmue III is its systemic game design. Unfortunately, it tends to fall flat because of how underdeveloped many of the systems are in the game. My hope is Shenmue IV can really reinforce it because I think it is a fundamentally good direction for Shenmue to take; it just requires better execution.

Herb collecting is like the most Shenmue thing about 3. It is a mundane calming activity; the literal philosophy Shenmue was designed for.

Fishing too; the actual reeling in isn't calm lol, but the cast and initial retrieve is nice and peaceful, along with the wilderness sounds in the background and it perfectly recreates fishing in real life.

So many critics to S3, try to prove that S3 is not welcome for new fans.
I am curious that their thought of S1 and S2

So I finished the game this weekend for the first time and here are my thoughts:

Definitely not as good as the first two. In fact, it's not good at all. It is a game of very few hits and many mistakes. A few cool places is the only quality. Combat is the worst in video game history, the "improve kung fu" system is annoying, the system of sharing life with resistance is annoying, the action itself is annoying. Ryo looks like a dumb robot counting wood. You can't play for 30 minutes without a new pain in the ass coming your way. A sad and damaging game for the franchise. It's sad, but I believe it's reality. And I don't say this out of nostalgia because I finished S1 and 2 for the first time in 2022. Anyway, I'm not going to give up on a series with two great games simply because one game is disappointing. Shenmue IV will be the first in the series that I will play on launch day. I need to see Ryo's journey continue.

So I finished the game this weekend for the first time and here are my thoughts:

Definitely not as good as the first two. In fact, it's not good at all. It is a game of very few hits and many mistakes. A few cool places is the only quality. Combat is the worst in video game history, the "improve kung fu" system is annoying, the system of sharing life with resistance is annoying, the action itself is annoying. Ryo looks like a dumb robot counting wood. You can't play for 30 minutes without a new pain in the ass coming your way. A sad and damaging game for the franchise. It's sad, but I believe it's reality. And I don't say this out of nostalgia because I finished S1 and 2 for the first time in 2022. Anyway, I'm not going to give up on a series with two great games simply because one game is disappointing. Shenmue IV will be the first in the series that I will play on launch day. I need to see Ryo's journey continue.

While I don't disparage your view and that's not up for debate.... damaging the franchise I definitely dispute.

Without Shenmue 3 you don't get the 1 and 2 re-releases, the anime and all the merch. Because of 3, despite its flaws Shenmue is better off. But I am glad you're here to continue the journey to get Shenmue 4

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm not going to give up on a series with two great games simply because one game is disappointing.
While I don't agree with your opinion of 3 in particular, I really appreciate you saying this. You'd think this would be obvious, but the amount of people who have decided they want to throw away the series in its entirety because they didn't like one game in it blows my mind.

I will agree Shenmue III's combat wasn't really that fun, the buttons to do the combos wasn't as good as the first two, hitting the opponents wasn't as satisfying as I & II, and it had a slight input lag, but I wouldn't call it the worst combat in video game history, there are a lot worse. Shenmue I & II definitely had better combat without a doubt, but I did get somewhat used to III's combat after going through another playthrough and buying the moves scrolls in the store. I do hope Shenmue IV brings back throw moves, as I think we all can agree that was an unfortunate removal in III.

The "improve your kung fu" + health system +lag alone would make this the worst combat in video game history in my opinion. Any reason not to play this on easy? Even on easy is a pain in the ass, even in QTE.

And I didn't comment on the story because there's not much to comment on. Hi Ryo. Hi Shenhua. It's sad that we haven't made any progress, Ryo. Yes, Shenhua.

Disagree on a lot of the points made, but i respect your opinion ichiban.

I really enjoyed the levelling up system. The combat does need some work, but i don't think its as bad as people make it out to be. It certainly is unfinished though.

I think the game does have a story but its severely lacking and isn't told as effective as the first two games. Same with the characters

Anyway, glad you went through the series. Lets get shenmue 4๐Ÿ’ช

I played it like 110 hours with a max level Ryo. The Stamina goes down so slow you don't even notice anymore. I like the idea of having to regularly eat but yeah should decrease a lot slower when out in the world. I learned to really enjoy the combat, double tapping the stick to dodge and trigger the slow motion evade feels very natural after some practice. Throws and better hit feedback is a must for part IV though, and some tighter animations on the existing moves (tornado kick is too fast) would go a long way. Terrible tutorial though,I think if a lot of new players knew that pressing triangle 3 X then another button for a finisher would've had an easier time with it.

Beautiful Gameworld though. It's definitely one the most relaxing, enjoyable slices of virtual tourism going and the music is top shelf as always.

I mostly agree with you, even though I post here tons and am obsessed with Shenmue IV. This series just has a certain magic I can't get rid of. I can't ever forget how meaningful those first two games were to me. Even my negative feelings towards Shenmue III have majorly subsided over time and I now mainly have pleasant memories of the simple stuff. There's a simplicity and honesty to the entire game that keeps it from feeling like a cynical cash grab. Of course your mileage may vary if you have no nostalgia or emotions connected to the series.

I'm glad we're out of the stage where we have to come in with the most negative/positive opinion.

Last edited:
While they are few and far between, I really love the fighting cutscenes in S3. Wish we got more with Xianzi Bei (the fisherman grandmaster). Love his fighting style.
Random thought - I felt he was an unnecessary addition in the game. I mean, I don't think he will even show up again in the rest of the series.

That being said, I enjoyed his arc in the game

Back