Random Shenmue III Thoughts

They are the subjects that will seemingly forever cause tension among Shenmue fans.
lmao did you both arranged this gag? Nice!
edit: but I, declare you, Thomasina, banished. Depromoted, now you're gonna mop sweep Man Mo Temple wallos, carry the books... cus thats where you belong, Thomasina. And I hate you btw (just casual and peaceful hate).
edit: I also casual and peacefully hate you, ShenSun The flying guillotine.

Last edited:
The year is 2050. The Shenmue series has been completed, yet Thomasina is still complaining about Shenmue 3 online.

You should take your own advice and quit the game. I've never seen a man whine and moan so much about the same thing for almost 3 years.
Gotta get that post count up somehow~

No offense to the guy, but when I see the username my first thought is often "Oh man, what's wrong now...."

One time i saw one person saying that Yu Suzuki's mistake was making Shenmue III as if we were still in the year 2000. This was not here, it was in other site.

When i see this things i reflect how much i don't agree with some of the mind set in the gaming world these days.

I really don't understand when i see this things, it is against the law of the gaming world now to make a game in a old style? of course not, one Resident Evil fan is even making a Resident Evil 4 Demake, a Demake so we can see RE4 if it was for PS1, and i love that this person is doing that, i love old styles of gameplay, i love old games.

1655033410030.png
Yu Suzuki said a lot of times that he did Shenmue III for the fans, so it is no surprise that Shenmue III have many similar things to Shenmue I and II, similar things about the Dreamcast days, it is not wrong doing a game with an old style in my opinion.

Shenmue III is a Kickstarter game, Yu Suzuki is not with SEGA anymore, everytime i remember this fact i appreciate even more Shenmue III, i say that because with the limited budget Yu Suzuki and the team did a wonderful job of creating the Shenmue Style and experience for the game, while adding many things to the experience like searching for Chobu Chan, chopping wood, herb gathering, new ways of training, change outfits and much more.

In Shenmue II we can just train with Jianmin Tao and is something limited, just one time a day, in Shenmue II we can't train alone and when we want like in Shenmue I and Shenmue III.

i don't see people complaining about these things about Shenmue II, but if this was in Shenmue III people would probably complain as if Shenmue III is the worst game of all time.

I don't agree when I see people being harsh on Shenmue III as if Shenmue III is the worst game ever made, as if Shenmue III deserves 0 about the score, as if Shenmue III is the worst game of all time that has nothing good about it, these type of criticism i will never understand.

Just to make it clear people can dislike Shenmue III, i'm just explaining in a respectful way why i don't agree with these type of criticism, thank you. 💚

Last edited:
The year is 2050. The Shenmue series has been completed, yet Thomasina is still complaining about Shenmue 3 online.

You should take your own advice and quit the game. I've never seen a man whine and moan so much about the same thing for almost 3 years.
Yes, because in 2050 S3 will still be a terrible game that did no favors for the series. Instead of proper story progression we got 100s of useless items in the token exchange system. Scrolling through these items should have you shaking your head as you read the description of "a picture of a boy" that serves no purpose in the game. Why Shenmue 3 turned out the way it did will always be a mystery, but not the good kind of mystery that made the previous games so much fun.

I was watching Titch stream S3 the other day and it was painfully obvious to me how silly Shenmue 3 looks. She even had in her inventory only garlic and one other food item. I couldn't help but laugh. I'm about the same place Titch is. In my own playthrough I didn't notice how blank and silly Ryo looks, but watching someone else play it on my tv, it looked incredibly bad. I can only imagine how bad it looks to someone who isn't a long time shenmue fan.

I don't think the series will be completed by 2050, unless it's through the anime.

Yes, because in 2050 S3 will still be a terrible game that did no favors for the series. Instead of proper story progression we got 100s of useless items in the token exchange system. Scrolling through these items should have you shaking your head as you read the description of "a picture of a boy" that serves no purpose in the game. Why Shenmue 3 turned out the way it did will always be a mystery, but not the good kind of mystery that made the previous games so much fun.

I was watching Titch stream S3 the other day and it was painfully obvious to me how silly Shenmue 3 looks. She even had in her inventory only garlic and one other food item. I couldn't help but laugh. I'm about the same place Titch is. In my own playthrough I didn't notice how blank and silly Ryo looks, but watching someone else play it on my tv, it looked incredibly bad. I can only imagine how bad it looks to someone who isn't a long time shenmue fan.

I don't think the series will be completed by 2050, unless it's through the anime.

You're boring me now.

It's clear to me you like being miserable. Who on earth dislikes something, but then continues to play it, watches others play it, and then posts online the same nonsense over the span of 2 and a half years?? Surely you could spend your time doing something better? You know, something that you actually enjoy?

If you don't like it, that's cool. Some other members of the board don't like it either. One of our staff members even rated it a 6/10. The difference is, they are not constantly moaning about the same thing every 5 minutes. They made their points, discussed them, and moved on. Same for the people who liked it. They made their points, discussed them, and moved on. I accept that you're playing it again, but this has been an on going problem with you for well over 2 years. And we all know its going to happen again and again.

Your issue has always been that you can't accept that other people have a different view than you and actually enjoyed the game despite its obvious flaws. All of the "mysterious questions" you have about the game have been answered hundreds of times in the past. You just don't want to listen. Ironically, i actually agree with a lot of your criticisms, but your behavior and attitude stinks

I also don't like the fact that members are seeing your name on the board and are instantly put off, as they just know you're going to moan about something or turn the thread into the usual shitshow that you love so much.

We all know where this goes. You're going to drag this out, moan, and then complain about the same old, same old. Other members are going to come into the thread and counter-argue your points, but rather than having a mature conversation about it, you'll just start acting obnoxious, becoming snarky, and having an attitude towards everyone. You'll then do the same thing in another thread and so on.

I'm timing you out for a while. Your account has been flagged for well over a year now, but we let it ride and did nothing, when in all honesty, we really should have done something earlier

Anyway, consider what I said during the time out. See you soon.

Last edited:
After nearly three years, a more holistic solution to dealing with Shenmue III's shortcomings would be to simply let them go instead of continuing to post about them on a fan forum, of all places. There is a point where disappointment and disagreement becomes miserable obsession, and it's better for all involved to move on.

Yesterday i started my second playthrough of Shenmue III and i saw things i didn't remember.

Do the characters in the village really do not care about the thugs being in the village? no one cares about the thugs being in the Village? why some characters treat Ryo in a really bad way in the beginning? after i saw some posts here in relation to this situation this is one of the things i wanted to remember about the game.

Ryo go with Shenhua to cross the Verdant Bridge, we see the characters Shiren and Liu. These characters stop Ryo and Shenhua from going to the main part of the Village. Shenhua explain the situation that Ryo saved her.

Shenhua asked what happened, Liu said that a group of thugs tore through there two days ago, after that Ryo and Shenhua can cross the Verdant Bridge.

Ryo ask for Shenhua if the village usually have gatekeepers, Shenhua say no, that there is no need for them, that Bailu Village is a very peaceful place, in other part of the conversation Shenhua say that the Village feels different.

1655132906890.png

So far i can see that Shenhua and Ryo are worried about the situation, Shiren and Liu are worried as well, this is the reason why these characters are in the Verdant Bridge this way, to protect the village.

After that Ryo and Shenhua go separate ways to look for clues. Some NPCs treat Ryo really bad, at night i decided to talk with Shenhua and i remember that Ryo and Shenhua talked about this situation, then Shenhua say that the next time she will go together with Ryo.

In the next day Shenhua go together with Ryo and the NPCs started to treat Ryo better.

The people in the village were scared because Ryo is someone new in the village, and because of the thugs that appeared, but after Shenhua explained the situation many NPCs started to treat Ryo in a better way, it makes a lot of sense.

I started a conversation with Su Zixiong about the thugs and this was the response.

Su Zixiong.jpg

Su Zixiong said he will help Ryo to get rid of the thugs.

In other day the thugs entered on Shiren's house, Shiren tried to protect the house and the thugs ran away.

The Shenmue games have many hidden informations when we talk to NPCs, and some of these hidden informations can help the player understand even more what's going on, the first game even have hidden scenes that is easy to miss.

I say that because depending on the clue the NPCs will say different things, so far this whole situation about if the people in the village care or not about the thugs in the Village is okay to me, the characters Shiren and Liu are worried, Shenhua is worried, Su Zixiong saying that he will help Ryo get rid of the thugs, so far this situation is okay to me.

i will keep searching for more information about that, about what the other characters think about this situation.

Garlic is one of the best foods in Shenmue III, it is not the best food but it is one of the best, i don't buy only garlic, i buy other types of foods as well, i bought even some foods that are not better as the garlic, and i always pick the banana and apple in Shenhua's house.

The banana and apple don't heal the health that much, so why i always pick the banana and apple? because this is how i want to experience the game, i want to have many types of foods, just like in Final Fantasy games that i like to have Potion, Hi-Potion and other types of items, but probably other person play in a different way.

The player is free to buy the foods they want, work how they want in the game and do the strategy they want, some foods are better than others, just like in Final Fantasy games that some items will always be better than other items, this is how i view the situation.

My second playtrough is even better than the first playtrough. I love all the conversations of Ryo with Shenhua since the beginning of the game.

Chopping wood is so fun in this game, gathering herbs is so calm and relaxing, fishing the same thing. So many things to do in this game, so many ways to earn money, so many ways to train in this game.

I miss the Virtua Fighter fighting system and i miss the throw moves, but the fight system in Shenmue III is okay, it needs some improvements but it is okay to me, i'm having fun with this fighting system.

i decided that this time i will do 100% of the trophies in the game, i did 100% in Shenmue I and II, now i will do for Shenmue III.

Bailu Village is beautiful, the visuals and the places of the game are gorgeous in my opinion, the soundtrack of the game is so good, i missed playing this games so much.

Shenmue III gives a feeling of relaxation just like Sergeynest said, it is a lovely and sweet game. 💚

So beautiful, thanks for sharing. 😊

I played Shenmue III today and now i'm sure that i love this game even more. I think i have an unpopular opinion now... the unpopular opinion is that to me Shenmue III have the best gameplay of the Shenmue series so far.

If Yu Suzuki improve even more these things, add more things, and progress the story more like Shenmue II then Shenmue IV will be amazing.

Shenmue III is similar to the first game and i love that it is this way, now for Shenmue IV Yu Suzuki will probably do similar to Shenmue II in relation to how much story we will see in the game.

I'm not having problems at all with the food system, now i understand even more the system, i understand better the best strategies to work, to earn money, earning money is not hard at all in this game, having lots of types of different foods is really good, if the player know what they are doing then it's easy and fine in my opinion.

After more fights i think this fighting system is really nice, it needs some improvements but it is a good fighting system, i'm having so much fun fighting in this game, i will always love the Virtua Fighter System but the Shenmue III fighting system is fun, i'm enjoying.

The conversations of Ryo with Shenhua and other NPCs have so many beautiful and interesting hidden informations about Ryo, Shenhua, Guilin, Yunshen Yuan and much more. It is another way to tell things about the story.

I love all the additions in the game, like i said in the other post, so many things to do in this game, so many ways to train and much more, it is beautiful.

To me the thing that Shenmue III lack is a little bit more scenes in relation to the story, for example flashbacks of Iwao training with Sunming Zhao in Bailu Village would have been nice, more scenes and development for characters like Grandmaster Bei, Shiling Ling and many other characters.

The other thing is the throw moves, i miss the throw moves so much, and i feel that if Baisha were in the game the ending would not be rushed, and the game would have been even better in relation to story, but it is what it is.

When i finish my second playthrough i will come back here to share my final thoughts of this playthrough.

I can say without a doubt now that Shenmue III is one of my favorite games of the PS4 generation. 💚

Last edited:
It makes me think that the outfit that Ryo should wear in Shenmue 3 is the green one xD.

If we look at all the chapters arts we can see that Ryo (Akira) have 3 outfits during the journey, the first outfit is the white t-shirt and jeans, the second is the green martial arts outfit and the third is the blue outfit.

Probably in the Legend Of Akira scripts/novels have the story about how Ryo (Akira) gain these 2 outfits.

Maybe it was Xiuying that gave the green outfit for Ryo before Ryo leaving Hong Kong, it is possible, and maybe the blue outfit have relation to the last master in the journey, probably the one who wrote the Mysterious scroll, in my opinion the last master of Ryo will be a Bajiquan master in Meng Cun, the place that is considered the birth of Bajiquan.

The green outfit fits really well in Shenmue III for Ryo, with this outfit it feels like is showing Ryo's growth as a martial artist just like in the chapters arts, i think this outfit is my favorite outfit in the game.

i love that we can play as Ryo just like in some arts of that time, it is beautiful.

FamitsuRyo.jpg

Totally agree, something that I would like it is begin in Shenmue 3 with the green outfit with Ryo and with Shenhua, I think that the green outfit is more fit for Shenhua too in the village and the yellow one for the city. Well, is posible to do it in new game+ but I don't like the circle that appear in the cutscenes.

Totally agree, something that I would like it is begin in Shenmue 3 with the green outfit with Ryo and with Shenhua, I think that the green outfit is more fit for Shenhua too in the village and the yellow one for the city. Well, is posible to do it in new game+ but I don't like the circle that appear in the cutscenes.

I like both outfits for Shenhua, i'm not doing NG+ this time so right now is the yellow outfit, i think both outfits are nice for the village, it depends on how the person prefers.

Yes, it is possible to do in NG+, it is nice that we can change outfits in Shenmue III, this way the player can choose how they want to experience the game, i just wished more outfits for Shenhua like the classic outfit. The circle that appear is for the player to press circle if they want to skip the scene, i think there is no way to make the circle dissapear.

I found something curious when comparing the Key items in Shenmue II with the Key items in Shenmue III, the key items in Shenmue II without using the Cleared game save.

Here we can see that Ryo is not with the White leaf and Mysterious scroll, and without some photos of the first game like the picture of Ryo with Nozomi, Ichiro and Naoyuki.

IMG_4889.jpgIMG_4890.jpg

Now in Shenmue III look at the key items. Now we see the white leaf, the mysterious scroll and the other images of the first game.

IMG_4891.jpg

Here we can see all the foods i have now. I have just garlic and other food? no, i have lots of different types of food because this is how i want to experience the game, and i'm using many of these different foods, i'm not having problems with the food system at all, this strategy is really good, so the fact that Titch had just garlic and other item on the stream is not a design flaw in my opinion, is just how Titch want to play the game, people are different from each other so people play the game in different ways.

IMG_4892.jpg

Last edited:
More arts of Ryo with the green martial arts outfit, and what could have been if Baisha were in the game.

In one Kickstarter video Yu Suzuki said... "Baisha will show off what Shenmue III is all about." I really feel if Baisha were in Shenmue III the game would have been even better in relation to the story.

Now everytime i see these arts of Ryo with the green outfit i think about Shenmue III, this green outfit fits really well for Ryo in this part of the story, showing his growth as a martial artist. 💚

14.jpg

yulqh0z.pngmaxresdefault.jpg

Ryo.jpg

Last edited:
From where is the last one? Fanart I suposse, right?

As far as i know the last one in my other post is fanart, the others are official.

I found the last one in this video.

Description of the video.

"Made by myself. This is a piece of work I made thinking of Baisha village from Shenmue III. Supposedly we're set to encounter a big boss there so this music is to the level section that precedes that fight. The music is intended to create suspence and capture the imaginations of the player to what's comming next."

Back