Random Shenmue III Thoughts

If we look at all the chapters arts we can see that Ryo (Akira) have 3 outfits during the journey, the first outfit is the white t-shirt and jeans, the second is the green martial arts outfit and the third is the blue outfit.

Probably in the Legend Of Akira scripts/novels have the story about how Ryo (Akira) gain these 2 outfits.

Maybe it was Xiuying that gave the green outfit for Ryo before Ryo leaving Hong Kong, it is possible, and maybe the blue outfit have relation to the last master in the journey, probably the one who wrote the Mysterious scroll, in my opinion the last master of Ryo will be a Bajiquan master in Meng Cun, the place that is considered the birth of Bajiquan.

The green outfit fits really well in Shenmue III for Ryo, with this outfit it feels like is showing Ryo's growth as a martial artist just like in the chapters arts, i think this outfit is my favorite outfit in the game.

i love that we can play as Ryo just like in some arts of that time, it is beautiful.

Maybe its over reading but is believed in China to be lucky colors both green and blue. Please correct me if Im wrong but green is associated to growth being finantial or spiritual and blue has between its meanings the healing or completion of a transition.
So we get a symbol for every state of Ryo's soul in his journey:
- "Street performer" outfit because Ryo starts as Zongquan Bai carelessly showing his moves. And fueled by hate.
- He starts inner seek and enters a "green state".
- He finally understands kungfu. Blue outfit.
I dont know maybe they only randomly picked colors and Im blabling.

Maybe its over reading but is believed in China to be lucky colors both green and blue. Please correct me if Im wrong but green is associated to growth being finantial or spiritual and blue has between its meanings the healing or completion of a transition.
- "Street performer" outfit because Ryo starts as Zongquan Bai carelessly showing his moves. And fueled by hate.

Red?

Hmmm that was cryptic xD I better leave a Wikipedia link to the color meaning topic, just in case its related to Shenmue lore. Now that you mention it, red was the omamori given by Nozomi so it was a positive or lucky color. But Nozomi and the omamori were japanese not chinese so Im guessing this has to do with shinto or budhist beliefs.. Just shooting in the dark. Probably Hiki will throw some light on the topic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_in_Chinese_culture

Pawa of @Hiki TO ME!!

Last edited:

As far as i know Green is important in Chinese culture as it represents money, wealth, fertility, regeneration, hope, harmony, growth, as well as cleanliness and purity. Buildings, banks and restaurants are usually painted green. Contamination-free product packaging, such as milk, is also green.

Growth is one of the meanings of green in Chinese culture so what you said makes sense.

As far as i know In Chinese culture blue represents spring and brings a positive meaning, as well as symbolizing healing, trust and long life. The houses are decorated in shades of blue and green to bring prosperity and harmony to the house.

One of the meanings of blue in chinese culture is healing so i think it makes sense, i say that because probably Ryo (Akira) will heal in relation of the pain of losing his father, maybe when this happen the plaster will leave Ryo's face, meaning that Ryo is healed about all of his emotional pain and problems.

As far as i know in Japanese culture the meaning of green and blue are similar.

Green represents fertility and growth in traditional Japanese culture. Like the color of nature, the Japanese word for green, midori, is also the word used for vegetation. Also, the color green represents energy, youth and vitality.

Blue is a color that represents purity and cleanliness in traditional Japanese culture, largely because of the vast expanses of blue water that surrounds the Japanese islands. As such, blue also represents coolness, calm and stability.

It makes sense that Yu Suzuki and the team chose the colors green and blue for Ryo (Akira) outfits. 💚💙

Last edited:
My new post is now in the blog of the Dojo, in this post i reflect about the Food System, what i think about the system, the types of foods in the game, what strategy i make when i play the game and much more.

Update about the post: I changed the title of the post, i think is better this way, and i added more informations in the post.

Maybe one day i will do a guide with all the foods in the game, thanks for the support on the blog.

1657459839252.png

Last edited:
Talking with the NPCs in Bailu Village i discovered more about the subject, the subject if the people care or not about the thugs being in the Village.

I'm in the part after Ryo lost against Yanlang for the second time, the thugs are in hermit's nest now.

The characters Shiren and Liu are taking care of the Verdant Bridge since the beginning of the game, these characters are worried and doing their job to protect the village, it makes sense.

One time i decided to talk with Master Feng, i think it was about training, Master Feng said that he don't move well anymore like he used to in the past but that he can spar with Ryo a little, was something like that, so it makes sense that Master Feng doesn't even want to try to defeat the thugs, especially Yanlang that it is really strong.

About the thugs being in the hermit's nest, this was Master Feng's response.

IMG_5284.jpg
IMG_5285.jpg
IMG_5286.jpg
IMG_5287.jpg
IMG_5289.jpg

Ryo try so hard to change Master Feng's mind but Master Feng say for Ryo to leave and then Master Feng enter in his house, with all the informations i said about Master Feng it makes sense the reason about why Master Feng did that.

I decided to start a conversation with Zixiong Su, he said that he can help Ryo get rid of the thugs, let's look how the conversation continued.

IMG_5276.jpg
IMG_5277.jpg

After that i talked with Mingyang Lei, Ryo talked about the thugs being in hermit's nest, this was Minyang's response.

IMG_5279.jpg
IMG_5282.jpg

Ryo: I want to rescue the people of the hermit's nest.
Mingyang Lei: As a martial artist-in-training, I feel like i should help.

After that Ryo say that it's okay, Ryo say that he will take care of the thugs by himself.

Master Sun don't care that much about helping, is just how the character is, Master Sun just want to stay at the abandoned temple alone drinking and things like that.

I talked with the character Huang Hu at Bailu Martial Hall about the thugs situation, Huang Hu said that Ryo will not find the answer to beat the thugs there, that it is Ryo's duty to save the people at Hermit's nest, that Ryo is not ready, that Ryo needs to clear his mind and train.

Zhen Wei just say she is worried about Ryo, that Master Feng is worried about Ryo too.

As far as i remember no more martial artist in Bailu Village, there is one martial artist that trains all day but we can't talk with this NPC, so after all of this it is clear to me that Ryo is the only one that can take care of the thugs right now, even Ryo said he wants to do this by himself, it all makes sense to me, and i'm glad it was Ryo that got rid of the thugs, i saw character development for Ryo, Ryo is more stronger now.

In the Shenmue games if the player don't talk with the NPCs that much they will lose a lot of precious informations about the game world and the characters, how the characters think about the situations and much more, i recommend for the players to talk more with the NPCs, sometimes the Shenmue Games tell some parts of the story in a different way, talking with NPCs is one of those ways to tell parts of the story in my opinion.

My second playthrough of Shenmue III made me realize one thing, in the Shenmue games Ryo will be what the player wants him to be, if the player wants to buy one thousand carrots and give only carrots for Ryo the player can do that, i even did that in this playthrough, i bought one thousand carrots and i even got a trophy.

If the player wants to work a lot in the game they can, if the player wants to talk to NPCs all day they can, if the player wants to train all day in the game they can and much more, Ryo will be what the player wants him to be about the gameplay and this is one of my favourite things about the Shenmue series.

I really feel that the gameplay of Shenmue III is my favourite of the series, i love the gameplay of Shenmue I and II and i don't have problems with the gameplay of the first game and second game, i just feel that Shenmue III improved even more, i'm having so much fun playing Shenmue III, it is one of the most calm and peaceful games i ever played, so many things to do in this game, so many ways to play this game, it is a sweet game to me.

So far i played for 48 hours in this playthrough, i'm playing even more slowly than the first time and i can say without a doubt that Shenmue III is one of my favourite games of the PS4 generation.

When i finish this playthrough i will come back here to say my final thoughts about my journey and experience with the game, thank you.
💚

Last edited:
Honestly, the hate that Shenmue III still brings about just amuses me. Why spend your life hating something? Seems like a waste of energy to me.

I mean I hated The Last of Us Part II and think it's one of the biggest pieces of junk I've ever played, but I literally haven't thought about it since beating it. Really don't care about it anymore. Life is too short to waste energy on hating something.

When i look at this GIF of Ryo fighting against Longqi Ge what it looks like the Great Wall i reflect what was the original plan for Shenmue III.

Rwnq09k.gif

When i look at this gif i imagine that Shenmue III would have more story.

We know that Baisha would be in the game, but where Baisha would fit in Shenmue III story? i think is probably after Niaowu, this is a image of the early days of Shenmue III development as far as i remember, to me this place is Baisha.

RyoFight.jpg

I imagine that after Niaowu we would see some things happening at the Great Wall like this fight of Ryo against Longqi Ge, after that maybe we would see some things at the cliff temple, and maybe after that the final part in Baisha.

I don't know if it would go this way but this is how i imagine, to me it is sad that Yu Suzuki couldn't do Shenmue III exactly the way he wanted, it even feels like Shenmue III is missing Disc 4.

Problaby this is one of the reasons why he said his score is 7.5 for the game, Yu Suzuki to me is like a perfectionist, Yu-san always want to do in the best way possible, and if something doesn't go exactly as he planned he's not going to like it that much, i feel that it is this way For Yu-san.

It is nice to see the progress YS NET did with the game since 2015, i like some of the old Ryo and Shenhua models but i don't have problems with the final versions, i think YS NET did a beautiful job.

1659013884510.png

Then

1659014520925.png

Now

ShenmueIII.jpg

Shenmue III to me really is like a miracle and i don't have doubts that Yu-san did the best he could with the limited budget, imagine if Yu-san had a budget of AAA games? maybe the game would have been even better, in my opinion Yu-san and the team did a good game with a limited budget, i'm playing Shenmue III and i'm having so much fun, it is a sweet and calm game, could have been better about some things? yes, but I understand that Yu-san probably had a lot of problems during the development.

I'm so grateful that Yu Suzuki decided to continue Shenmue, maybe other creators would have giving up after 18 years, but Yu-san kept believing and did Shenmue III for us.

Last edited:
It's nice to see that we're all still "revving" this thread. For me S3 was the door to my friendship with the franchise and back in 2019 I didn't even think it would hit the shelves in my country. About a month before the release, I visited one of the stores specializing in video games, where they told me that they've already had the shipment reserved, much to my glee. When I got my hands on a copy, I just knew it will be the time of my life with it.
But yeah, like it was said, controversy or not, you cannot hate something just because of something trivial or because some popular Youtuber told you to hate it. Some people may call S3 a filler of the franchise, but to us - the fans it'll always have a place in our hearts. Think of it as some kind of a milestone: it broke the emptiness of 17-18 years and made us rejoice one way or the other.

Shenmue 3 getting some representation on AEW All Out...

I7FH1J7.png

shenmue 3 is getting roasted on twitter thank to this guy

Last edited:
Back