Random Shenmue III Thoughts

It is so interesting to finally see this character in high quality, now we can see all the details.

Original design of Master Sun?
Original design of Grandmaster Bei?
Other character?

To me is probably the original design of Master Sun or Grandmaster Bei.

View attachment 17881

I can't think that is anyone BUT Master Sun.

Probably not the guy from PB, even with the similarities.

@Sergeynest Really interesting find about the pearls, Shenhua and that it might have a connection with the scroll in Shenmue III, I didn't know about that, thanks for sharing. This fits really well with Shenhua and the story of Shenmue.

Maybe when the two mirrors are together this will happen (From Project Berkley Trailer) maybe Ryo and Shenhua will find the pearl this way or other important thing that will change a lot of things in the story.

1680185446801.png

"Symbolise inner wisdom and the connection with the divine energies of the cosmos"

Maybe in one part of the story we will see Shenhua with the pearl and the pearl will give special powers to her? and maybe Shenhua is the only person that can control the pearl? maybe this is one of the reasons why Yunshen Yuan said...

1680185579783.png

Everytime i hear the prophecy i think that it will be really amazing if it happens exactly that way.

"A Dragon shall emerge from the earth and dark clouds shall obscure the heavens. A Phoenix shall descend from above. Its wings will create a purple wind. In the midst of the pitch-black night... a morning star shall glisten alone."

The story of Shenmue have so many mysteries, it is so interesting, and i hope the mystical and supernatural elements of the story continue, these mystical and supernatural elements are one of my favorite things about the Shenmue series

Maybe in one part of the story we will see Shenhua with the pearl and the pearl will give special powers to her?
The glyph/scroll image with the pearl along dragon vs. phoenix supports the theory.
Post in thread 'Random Shenmue III Thoughts' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/random-shenmue-iii-thoughts.23/post-146550
Thats reminiscent of that scene at early video footage PB. When young Iwao fights who looks Lan Di and suddenly Shenhua burst in the middle of them, projecting both into the air.

About what i said in my previous post about the prophecy, will be amazing if it happens similar to this art, imagine Ryo and the other characters seeing this epic moment of the Dragon and the Phoenix appearing this way, if it happens in a similar way it will probably be one of my favorite moments of the Shenmue series.

fantasy-art-phoenix-dragon-purple-wallpaper.jpg

In the Shenmue Online trailer we can see the Dragon and the Phoenix appearing, i like this trailer.

Would be amazing to see the epic moment of the Dragon and the Phoenix appearing some way in Shenmue IV or V exactly as we hear in the prophecy.

When i saw the NPC Riff Tamblyn for the first time i immediately thought about Kazuma Kuwabara from the anime Yu Yu Hakusho.

78106-396.jpgKuwabara.jpg

I like that in Shenmue III we can zoom in and out about the camera of the game, it makes possible for us to get beautiful shots of the game.

I did some shots that i liked it, i took the photos with my cellphone, on my TV was even more beautiful, would be so nice a Photo Mode in the game, Shenmue III is a beautiful game.

IMG_8349.jpgIMG_8350.jpg

Ryo: This place reminds me of the Yokosuka Harbor, how is Mark? How is Goro and the others? I miss my hometown, nostalgia... hope everyone is well and safe.

IMG_8351.jpg

Just 4 more days in the game time and i will see the bad ending, i will see the bad ending and after that i will return to my last save so i can complete my second playthrough.

IMG_8376.jpg

I played 193 hours of Shenmue III and this is not with NG+. I did a new PSN account for me in 2021, this account is my main now, so this will be my first time completing Shenmue III in this account.

IMG_8379.jpg
Shenmue III is so fun, relaxing and beautiful, I love the gameplay of Shenmue I and II, i don't have any problems with the gameplay of the first and second game.

I love even the fact that in the first game we have to wait sometimes and that we need to work in the forklift job, but to me without a doubt Shenmue III have the best gameplay of the series so far, the gameplay of Shenmue III is even friendly to people that never played Shenmue before, for example the time limit for each job is short and you can stop working any time you want.

I made some mistakes in this playthrough so i will not be able to get 100% of the trophies now, i got 77% of the trophies. I will need to start a third playthrough to achieve that, but is fine about that because i love the game.

Shenmue really changed my life, Shenmue helps me in so many ways... I don't want to finish my second playthrough... so many hours playing, so many months playing the game in a slow way and now i'm feeling a bit sad that i'm close to finish, i know i can start again if i want, but after so many months dedicating in this playthrough i'm feeling this way.

Shenmue III is a miracle like Yu-san said. Shenmue III to me is a beautiful and special game. 💚

Although the model isn’t not perfect, the angle of Ryo with his plaster showing looks pretty good. If they make minor tweaks and better skin and shading techniques it will look really good for Shenmue 4.

For a game as meditative and slow as Shenmue 3 encouraging players to take their time and soak in all the details it’s a crying shame there wasn’t a photo mode.

Last edited:
A few more shots i did today, like i said in my previous post i took the photos with my cellphone so this is not in the best quality possible.

Only Shenmue II have a photo mode, but i have plans to someday make like a high quality photo album in videos format, this way sharing many moments of my journey/experience in all Shenmue games.

IMG_8392.jpg
IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

If they make minor tweaks and better skin and shading techniques it will look really good for Shenmue 4.
Exactly. They could even be approached by YS.net to get aboard development, thats how much talent, passion and hard work I get from Wulinshu Team.
Hiki and you are both right about the photo mode lacking, it could add a lot and above all a different playing pace, more calmed than ever. There's room for tweaking the camera with Forklift but its not as intuitive as a ingame feature.

Btw, @~ ヒキ ~ you may accidentally came with a new mechanic for S4 (it was explored in Bumpy Trot/Steambot Chronicles). Player gets in certain hotspots, usually cozy and inviting to stop by places (A hostal window, a quiet park, a bench in a viewpoint, a beach...)
and we're prompted to save or dive into our game hero thoughts (and those are based in our actions and relationships with other characters). Its very similar to the comment you made in one of your recent S3 photos, with Ryo wondering about home.

My first time seeing the game over screen in a Shenmue game. I saw the bad ending of the game for the first time while playing, really interesting.

I never did the bad ending in Shenmue I & II but i will do someday. Now that i saw the bad ending i will return to my last save or penultimate save, and then i will complete my second playthrough.

IMG_8435.jpg

I did more shots while playing and it turn out really good, i loved this idea that i had. I had the idea of doing a photo album of all Shenmue games, this way showing in a unique way my journey and experience in all Shenmue games. I will probably do in videos format and upload in my Shenmue Channel.

The Shenmue story is a journey so i like this idea of documenting the journey and experience in a photo album as if Ryo is taking photos of his journey, photos of himself, the places he visit and the people he meet along the way, and as if sometimes he asks someone to take a photo of him or a photo of the situation.

Ryo will be what the player wants him to be in relation to the gameplay. The gameplay of Shenmue makes it possible to say that in a way this journey is my journey too, so documeting my journey and experience in all Shenmue games will be really special to me.

Just a reminder that i took the photos with my cellphone, this is not in the best quality possible, when i create the photo album it will be in high quality.

IMG_8401.jpgIMG_8403.jpgIMG_8405.jpgIMG_8407.jpg
IMG_8408.jpg
IMG_8409.jpgIMG_8410.jpgIMG_8411.jpgIMG_8412.jpgIMG_8413.jpgIMG_8414.jpgIMG_8415.jpgIMG_8416.jpgIMG_8417.jpgIMG_8422.jpgIMG_8423.jpgIMG_8425.jpgIMG_8426.jpgIMG_8427.jpgIMG_8428.jpg]IMG_8429.jpgIMG_8430.jpgIMG_8431.jpg

Ryo: This reminds me about the way Wong live in Hong Kong... hope everything is okay with Wong
IMG_8433.jpg

Last edited:
I love the idea of photo album
Would be very cool if you can make a video of it :)

Thanks. 💚

My only concern about this idea is in relation to Shenmue I and II, the first game and the second game doesn't have a camera that we can control in a free way, so i think it will not be possible for me to do photos like this one for example, as if Ryo asked someone to take a photo of him.

IMG_8405.jpg

Maybe there is a mod for Shenmue I and II that i will be able to control the camera in a free way just like how we can do in Shenmue III, i will try to find a way so i can do this type of photos too in Shenmue I and II.

Last edited:
I finished my second playthrough of Shenmue III. To begin this long post i want to share what Yu Suzuki said in a interview before the release of Shenmue III.

PSB: What is the emotion you hope players feel immediately after finishing Shenmue III? Do you think most players will have a similar reaction to it?

YS:
It would be nice if players felt like coming back from a journey. If you hurry through the game, there is a good chance it will just stress you out. Rather, by taking your time, the experience will be one of trying all the different things the game has to offer.

PSB: What’s an example of a small detail in Shenmue III that you think will enhance players’ experience with the game?

YS:
I would ask everyone to take your time to play and not hurry through. When you come upon something you like, just stop and hang out for as long as you like, trying all things the game has to offer. For example, if you’re someone who doesn’t like gambling, try it in Shenmue and you may just have fun.

My journey in Shenmue III

N4hadQ.jpg

Everything i will write here is just my opinion, if you dislike Shenmue III you have all the rights to have this opinion.

After 209 hours i finally finished my second playthrough, I'm still amazed that I played so many hours in my second playthrough.

My First playthrough was in 2019 exactly when the game was released and without all the updates and DLCs, my second playthrough started in 2022 with all the updates and DLCs, the game is even better now with all the updates, my second playthrough was not a NG+.

Shenmue III to me have the best gameplay of the Shenmue series so far, it is so fun and relaxing, with so many things to do, the gameplay is even friendly to people that never played Shenmue before, as i said in my other post the time limit of each job is short and you can stop working any time you want, this and many other things are friendly for people that never played Shenmue i think.

I love all the new additions like gathering herbs, chopping wood, fishing, finding Chobu Chan, changing clothes, all the new ways of training and much more.

Shenhua.jpg

I love the food system and now i understand the system even more, with my strategy i never ran out of food. I wish the game had the option to turn the food system on and off for people that don't like this system and just want to play without worrying about food, to me the food system is good, i really enjoy the food system, foods have meaning and is linked to training, we have a large variety of foods and drinks, it is really nice in my opinion.

My strategy is to buy lots of types of different foods, i used all types of different foods together and i never felt the need to use only black garlic.

With my strategy i didn't even use black garlic a lot, i just used a few times, and many foods are better than the black garlic especially in Niaowu, and is really easy to find these foods in Bailu Village and in Niaowu.

I even bought one thousand carrots in Bailu Village, it was so cheap that i decided to buy lots of carrots, at the end of my playthrough i was with 480 carrots and 210 apples or something like that.

I always got the banana and apple in Shenhua's house, and the apples in the Hotel Niaowu, all of this because this is my style of playing the game, the game do not force people to play with only black garlic, there is so many ways to play the game in relation to the food system, this is how i view the situation.

If the player wants to give just black garlic to Ryo they can and that's their choice, if the player wants to give just carrots to Ryo then that's their choice, i don't understand the critic about black garlic, it was not a design fault to me, but of course people can play the game the way they want.

Ryo will be what the player wants him to be, Ryo will be like a reflection of the player, for example if you don't want to work, gather herbs, or do other thing to make money in the game you can do that, but later you will be in
big trouble because of this decisions, the same thing about training in the game, you can choose not to train in the game,
but you will be in big trouble because of this decisions, in a way Shenmue is like a life simulator.

Elbow Assault.jpg

YS NET took the training to a whole new level in this game, we can train with many characters, many ways
that we can train and we can train anytime we want, training is really important in this game, and when i train in the
game i can really feel Ryo getting stronger in fights and enduring more without eating, i love that.

The fighting system is good, i enjoy the fighting system but it needs improvements about a few things, one of the things is no throws in the game, i hope throws come back in Shenmue IV.

I love that everything feels connected in the game.

The design of Bailu Village and Niaowu are really interesting, unique and wonderful, this time i even discovered new
places in the game, some places in the game are so hidden that if you don't look more you will miss more
details about the game.

Shenmue III is a beautiful game, the locations and visuals are beautiful.

The game have a Shenmue one vibe in many ways and i love that, i have plans to talk in detail about this on the blog of the Dojo.

a-09175308030185.jpg

I love all Ryo and Shenhua conversations in Bailu Village and in Niaowu, and seeing Ryo living in Bailu Village with Shenhua like a second home to him, it was really sweet to me and this is part of the story too, now Shenhua is important for Ryo and Ryo is important for Shenhua.

The NPCs we can talk with are really interesting, funny and much more. Shenmue III is a kickstarter game so
i'm amazed about the different dialogues that we can have with the same NPC in different parts of the game.

I never saw other game series with the same amount of details in relation to dialogues with NPCs, it is
one of the beautiful things about the Shenmue series to me.

I like the ending we got but it was really rushed, could have been better.

Baisha is not in the game. Without Baisha it even feels like Shenmue III is missing disc 4, it is really sad
that Baisha is not in the game, with Baisha in the game i think the game would have been even better with more
cutscenes, NPCs, story, the ending would not feel rushed and much more.

Akira.jpg

Shenmue III have a story and i enjoyed for the most part, it was a nice change of pace after the chaos that happen in Kowloon, it is a calm time in Ryo's journey, it is a slow pace story similar to the first game but i just wish for more cutscenes in the game, for example flashbacks of Iwao with Zhao in Bailu Village would have been nice and would add more to the story.

With Ryo in Bailu Village it was the perfect time to do this flashbacks of Iwao and Zhao, with Master Feng and other
characters remembering about Iwao and Zhao and then the flashbacks would start.

I wish for more scenes of Niao Sun, Lan Di, Ren and Yunshen Yuan. Niao Sun was in the same boat that Ryo and Shenhua were, so i imagine she was near Bailu Village searching for the Phoenix Mirror, it would have been interesting
to see Niao Sun before Niaowu, it would add more to her character and the story of the game.

I wish for more interactions and more development for the side characters in the game like Shiling Lin, Qiu Hsu, Grandmaster Bei and many others, the characters in Shenmue III are interesting to me, some of them just needed to have more story, scenes with Ryo and more development.

Training with Grandmaster Bei was really short, Grandmaster Bei is a interesting character and deserve more screen time in the game.

Training with Grandmaster Bei could have been more deep with Ryo trying not to fall off the rafts and Grandmaster Bei trying to make him fall, this and many other things could have been done in a training while in gameplay, similar to the training with Master Sun, but it is what it is.

Final Thoughts

Chapter5.jpgChapter6.jpg

Shenmue III to me is about a calm time in Ryo's journey, it is about trying to find Yunshen Yuan, it is about Ryo living with Shenhua like a second home to him, Ryo and Shenhua getting to know each other better, talking a lot and strengthening their bond, and this is a part of the story in my opinion.

Shenmue III to me is about Ryo improving even more as a martial artist and as a person, it is about the introduction of Niao Sun and we getting to know a little bit about what is happening inside the organization, it is about getting to know more about the origins of the mirrors, getting to know a little bit more about Shenhua's powers and much more.

Like i said other times, Shenmue III to me is the calm before the storm and i think Shenmue IV will be the storm, this is one of the reasons why i don't have problems that Shenmue III is a slow pace game, because i think Shenmue IV will be similar to the second game in relation to the story progression, action, revelations and much more.

I don't see as a flaw Ryo having to wait in the first game sometimes, i don't see as a flaw Ryo having to work in the forklift job, i don't see as a flaw Ryo having to carry books in Shenmue II for many days, i don't see as a flaw Ryo having to work sometimes to progress in the story of the games, sometimes he needs money to progress and to me is not a flaw, like i said to me in a way Shenmue is like a life simulator, also to me Shenmue is like a detective game.

Shenmue III to me is not a game that will give you everything you want instantly, instant gratification. Shenmue III to me is a game that will give you everything you want about the gameplay if you have patience, perseverance and work really hard, and i really love this aspect of the Shenmue series, i don't see any other game series like Shenmue, it is really unique and to me this is beautiful.

Like i said other times it is the different, unique and special things about Shenmue that makes Shenmue so special to me.

Probably many people here saw this video at that time, but what Yu Suzuki said in this video is really interesting and one thing caught my attention.

Yu Suzuki: If people spend enough time with Shenmue III, if they don't rush, and play it slowly, then they will get a warm feeling about the game. That's when players will love it.

I agree with Yu-San and in my case Shenmue III gave a warm feeling in my heart, especially because i played in a slow way and tried everything that the game has to offer, the game could have been better in some aspects? yes but overall the game is beautiful to me.

Shenmue to me is not just about Ryo trying to avenge his father, is much more than that because of the mirrors, The Chi You Men, Shenhua's powers and many other things. Shenmue to me is about the people Ryo meets and what he learns with them along the way, it is not about the destination, it is about living this wonderful journey little by little.

It's a journey of growth, a journey that Ryo/Akira is improving as a martial artist and as a person and to me this is beautiful.

The Shenmue series is not just a game to me, the Shenmue series is a unforgettable and unique experience that really changed my life, it is really emotional talking about this, it even helps me with the losses I've had in my life and so many other things, I'm even writing my own story with a Shenmue vibe.

If i had to give a score for the game i would give 8.5 for the game

Shenmue III really is a miracle and a special game to me, a game that really touched my heart. Playing Shenmue III is so fun and relaxing.

💚🌿🍌🍎🪵🎣🥋🐔🦆

The journey goes on... LetsGetShenmue4

End.jpg

Last edited:
Great feedback ~ ヒキ ~ thank you

it was really nice to read this
i agree with you, I really enjoy Shenmue 3 (combats, food systeme, graphic, ect ect)
My first playthrought took me 77 hours
I am doing a second one right now, i have just finish Bailu (26 hours) and I still enjoy the experience as much as the first time
The game have some little problem you have talked about (I would have love to now more about all the secondary charecters) but still Shenmue 3 is a great game, unique
I would give him a 9/10

As much as it bums me out to see stuff like this being published, it’s perhaps more disappointing that YS Net seems content to do nothing about it.

With all this NFT business, it’s clear that they’re not overly bothered about the studio’s reputation, but this is straight up defamation. If they do ever decide to go down the crowdfunding route again, stuff like this will have a hugely negative impact - especially if it’s allowed to become the established narrative.

As much as it bums me out to see stuff like this being published, it’s perhaps more disappointing that YS Net seems content to do nothing about it.

With all this NFT business, it’s clear that they’re not overly bothered about the studio’s reputation, but this is straight up defamation. If they do ever decide to go down the crowdfunding route again, stuff like this will have a hugely negative impact - especially if it’s allowed to become the established narrative.
Wow I clicked a bit skeptic (sometimes we get over sensitive with our Shenmues) but that's beyond the line... Scammer? ... Surely that should be cut from root. What its more flagrant is the first position along kickstarter projects that didn't get a release if there's no ill intention there then I don't know anymore.

Wow I clicked a bit skeptic (sometimes we get over sensitive with our Shenmues) but that's beyond the line... Scammer? ... Surely that should be cut from root. What its more flagrant is the first position along kickstarter projects that didn't get a release if there's no ill intention there then I don't know anymore.
That article is trash and it would take a 2mins Google search to offer a rebuttal without any effort.

Back