Random Shenmue III Thoughts

There are more. I always like seeing these photos. Some of them are included on the Virtua Fighter 2 PC CD ROM release.

View attachment 10253

View attachment 10254
View attachment 10255View attachment 10258
View attachment 10256View attachment 10257

View attachment 10259View attachment 10260
I don't think I've ever see any of these before. The thing that continues to stick out to me is the consistency throughout the years in Ren's design. Even in these earliest Shenmue/VF RPG/Project Berkley/Akira backstory CG renders, he still looks pretty much the same as he does in Shenmue III. In any depiction I've ever seen of him, including concept art, his Saturn model, his Dreamcast model, and more, he has always retained the same basic design and is extremely recognizable. I feel like all of the other major characters went through more iterations with different variations compared to Ren.

Also, does anyone else who's played Sleeping Dogs find it kind of amusing that one of these very early Shenmue images is literally Ryo with a pork bun in his hand (or one in each hand actually)? Between that and the fact that you could eat pork buns in Shenmue III, I guess that Ryo truly is a whole man after all.

It's also quite interesting to see that we've reached the point where shenmue 3's in-game graphics are better than the original CG renders :tonguewink:

I don't think I've ever see any of these before. The thing that continues to stick out to me is the consistency throughout the years in Ren's design. Even in these earliest Shenmue/VF RPG/Project Berkley/Akira backstory CG renders, he still looks pretty much the same as he does in Shenmue III. In any depiction I've ever seen of him, including concept art, his Saturn model, his Dreamcast model, and more, he has always retained the same basic design and is extremely recognizable. I feel like all of the other major characters went through more iterations with different variations compared to Ren.
That’s because Ren’s design is literally perfect 👌
I’d even go so far to say that he has the best design out of any shenmue character.

Ryo in Meng Cun.jpg
Judging by this picture from the Akira Yuki - Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol.3 it seems that Ryo was to arrive by train in Gang Zhou which is near Meng Cun; the place where Lan Di acuses Iwao of having killed his father.
These two locations are situated in the Heibei province; the birthplace of Bajiquan.

It seems this event on the train that we see in the project Berkley trailer is connected with Ryo's arrival at Cang Zhou or is departure to Meng Cun. It also seems to indicate that this sequence will be probably be featured in Shenmue V.
Ryo Train.jpg

Check out the video; I believe it gives a lot of insight on the Shenmue series.

Last edited:
Some bloke I haven't spoken to in years decided to contact me out of the blue on my ps4.

For whatever reason, he proceeded to critique Shenmue 3, which I'm currently playing.

I already understand that the game received a mixed reception, and I don't need former associates to spell out what I already know. Anyway, I blocked him. I'm too old for reactional conversations with people I spoke to from ages ago.

Last edited:
View attachment 10262
Judging by this picture from the Akira Yuki - Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series Vol.3 it seems that Ryo was to arrive by train in Gang Zhou which is near Meng Cun; the place where Lan Di acuses Iwao of having killed his father.
These two locations are situated in the Heibei province; the birthplace of Bajiquan.

It seems this event on the train that we see in the project Berkley trailer is connected with Ryo's arrival at Cang Zhou or is departure to Meng Cun. It also seems to indicate that this sequence will be probably be featured in Shenmue V.
View attachment 10263

Check out the video; I believe it gives a lot of insight on the Shenmue series.

This is one of many good threads regarding future locations: Shenmue Dojo • View topic - MORE SHENMUE NEW (shenmue chapter break down) Eng version

The chapter eight tile with the stone lion is theorized to be Cangzhou: Iron Lion of Cangzhou - Wikipedia

Some bloke I haven't spoken to in years decided to contact me out of the blue on my ps4.

For whatever reason, he proceeded to critique Shenmue 3, which I'm currently playing.

I already understand that the game received a mixed reception, and I don't need former associates to spell out what I already know. Anyway, I blocked him. I'm too old for reactional conversations with people I spoke to from ages ago.
haters gonna hate?

To be honest, I don't see any ill with any fan not playing Shenmue 3, for any reason.

(It may even not be out of lack of will, but more lack of proper setup/funds.
And, even if this is about a lack of will, why would it be blamable ?)

Back