Random Shenmue III Thoughts

As I have stated in the past, what I love about the Shenmue series is how it treats martial arts with respect. It does this by incorporating realistic principles found in actual martial arts while still drawing upon its Virtua Fighter parallels. Shenmue III is no different in this regard, and it's one of the few positives I can give this game.

In previous posts, I wrote about punches, and in another about stances. In this post, I am going to expand a bit on the latter and what I think a potential Shenmue IV could dovetail into its combat system.

It is my personal belief that a beginning student masters the external arts (外家), an intermediate student masters the nejiquan (内家) or internal arts, and a master blends both the external and internal seamlessly adapting the Taoist principle of Wu-Wei (無為). This is evident in the contrast between characters like Ryo and others like Xiuying Hong (红秀瑛) and Jianmin Tao (陶健民).

In either case, it's obvious what the horse stance mini-game is trying to convey in that it is meant to strengthen a users' legs. This is important because as I stated in a previous post, a lot of martial arts relies on stances, leg strength, and the twisting of one's hips to generate power. However, there is another component to the horse stance in drawing upon one's internal energy or chi/qi (氣).

One of these Qigong exercises is known as "The Iron Shirt" (鐵衫) where one draws upon their qi energy to protect themselves from blows in a fight. One of the ways this is done is in a horse stance tensing up the body while drawing deep breaths. In Xiaolin Kung-Fu, users practice this by lying down on a stump or supporting tablets of granite with their chests.

I think in future Shenmue iterations this can be incorporated as a "super armor" mechanic. One where the user receives less damage overall and becomes immune to knockback. The downside to this however would be a higher amount of recovery frames. This would be the optimal way to retain the spirit of this practice.

I could go on, but I think that this is enough for now. In the end, this is why I love the Shenmue series for its intrinsic detail to the martial arts. Something that I have not seen any other franchise does. Even (in my opinion), the weakest entry in the series nails this. This is why I hope the series continues under Suzuki's creative direction with any potential Shenmue projects. Shenmue is a gem that does not get the justice it deserves.

Attachments

• 159281C5-8EF6-45BC-BDCD-4B336F496282.jpeg
    159281C5-8EF6-45BC-BDCD-4B336F496282.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 2
Ryo scouting Baisha looking for Lan Di and Niao Sun (Shenmue 4) !?
View attachment 10584

I think that was the most disappointing aspects of Shenmue 3 for me was the lack of costume change. In so many of the artwork, pre release material and of course the GDC cards we saw Ryo with this green Gi and I always assumed after perhaps an early skirmish or part of training montage he would don this new attire. Alas that never happened but during my initial playthrough I was sort of waiting for it to occur.

Another interesting art piece was a potential fight with a raging geyser!

1614657705587.png

I think that was the most disappointing aspects of Shenmue 3 for me was the lack of costume change. In so many of the artwork, pre release material and of course the GDC cards we saw Ryo with this green Gi and I always assumed after perhaps an early skirmish or part of training montage he would don this new attire. Alas that never happened but during my initial playthrough I was sort of waiting for it to occur.
I wonder if the green gi is coming later now, or if they scrapped it due to the introduction of outfit customisation. Technically you can wear green gi in Shenmue III, you've just got to unlock it...lol

I wonder if the green gi is coming later now, or if they scrapped it due to the introduction of outfit customisation. Technically you can wear green gi in Shenmue III, you've just got to unlock it...lol
Good question. At first with the GDC cards you could argue this was a hold over from VF days but we saw modern concept art throughout the KS with Ryo in this gi. I always assumed he would don the attire after a pivotal story moment or upon completing some gruelling training.

I could be wrong but a lot of art of him in the attire was in Baisha around the infiltration/warning factions part. Who knows if that will remain.

I’m hoping Ryo will still wear the green gi as part of the story eventually, as it seems to indicate to me a shift in his character where he will become more enlightened/patient and ultimately let go of his desire for revenge- that was always my guess for what it would symbolise

I'm also in favour for a costume change to signify Ryo's character growth.

However, Ryo has such an iconic outfit already with the Tiger jacket, so the new outfit has to be really something special to even warrant a costume upgrade in the first place.

I am confident Yu can overhaul Ryo's look like he did with Shenhua and Niao Sun (I personally think Niao Sun looks way better), but Ryo will need a cooler, more visually unique design than just a plain green gi I think.

Good question. At first with the GDC cards you could argue this was a hold over from VF days but we saw modern concept art throughout the KS with Ryo in this gi. I always assumed he would don the attire after a pivotal story moment or upon completing some gruelling training.

I could be wrong but a lot of art of him in the attire was in Baisha around the infiltration/warning factions part. Who knows if that will remain.
1614678033209.png

I believe that Ryo's change of outfit was suposed to represent his growth as a martial artist during his journey.
I was really expecting this to happen in Shenmue 3. I love the fact that we can change outfits in Shenmue 3; but It would have been really nice if they had implemented the original green outfit as a symbol of Ryo's growth as a martial artist when undergoing training with Master Sun in Bailu village.
They could have made a cutscene where Grand Master Feng would give the green outfit to Ryo saying that it was from his father Iwao when he had trained in bailu village; this would have given more depth and emotion to the story and it would have easily become a moment in the game that every shenmue fan would remember.
I also would have loved if they have added the sleeveless version of the green outfit and Ryo's aka Akira's original outift of the Jeans and White T-shirt with the red wristbands as well; that would have been a really nice touch and fan service.
Wich someone could release these as a mod for shenmue 3; that would be very cool.

View attachment 10592

I believe that Ryo's change of outfit was suposed to represent his growth as a martial artist during his journey.
I was really expecting this to happen in Shenmue 3. I love the fact that we can change outfits in Shenmue 3; but It would have been really nice if they had implemented the original green outfit as a symbol of Ryo's growth as a martial artist when undergoing training with Master Sun in Bailu village.
They could have made a cutscene where Grand Master Feng would give the green outfit to Ryo saying that it was from his father Iwao when he had trained in bailu village; this would have given more depth and emotion to the story and it would have easily become a moment in the game that every shenmue fan would remember.
I also would have loved if they have added the sleeveless version of the green outfit and Ryo's aka Akira's original outift of the Jeans and White T-shirt with the red wristbands as well; that would have been a really nice touch and fan service.
Wich someone could release these as a mod for shenmue 3; that would be very cool.

Maybe the Akira outfit was out of question because of licensing ?

But yeah, as much as I love the outfit customization of Ryo in Shenmue 3, I also think that it would be great if it were less "free". By this, I mean that you can select a few elements that represents the state Ryo is in. For example, I think the Kickstarter yokosuka Jacket is stunning and perfect. But I didn't like the fact that he could bore Kung Fu Wears. I think it was kinda ouf of character and out of his progression as a martial artist.

I personnally believe that until the end of Shenmue 3, he doesn't deserve to wear a Gi, since (and it's my opinion) he feels still too impatient, too reckless. Is technically really good now. But phisolophically, he is far from being a master imo. But yeah, that's what I hope for Shenmue 4 : Ryo truly understands the meaning of being a martial artist and can wear a true martial artist outfit, because he deserves it.

I'm with GuyMan; he has now survived a 3rd encounter (well, the 2nd wasn't much of an encounter lol) with Lan Di and he now may be a bit a little bit wiser.

I would have to think that if the cards still ring true to the modern plot, we will be able to select the green gi from the outset, as it feels that now he has progressed enough to show a growth, due to his new-found wiseness.

But that's just my feeling on it...

I also wonder if the traditional kung-fu style uniform was deemed a bit too "uncool" for the protagonist to be wearing...just me speculating, but they can look a bit...daggy...a bit naff, if you know what I'm saying. Who knows.

I think gi is a Japanese term, no? I don't think they call them gis in kung-fu like they do in karate...?

It's a site for parents of kids who do martial arts, it appears, but:

A Kung Fu uniform is called yī-fu (clothes) or (suffix for clothes). A military uniform is called zhì-fú. In Tai Chi Chaun the uniform is called Tai Chifu. In Shaolin Kung Fu the traditional dress called hàn fú is used. Most adopted the Chinese popular style from the 18th thru 20th centuries.

Is it unlockable in the PC version at all?

So I just finished up a 2 hour stream of Shenmue III for Shenmue Day and as I was prattling to myself on stream, I came to the realization that I just can't bring myself to be cynical about Shenmue III at all...even though I know the game has its fair share of warts, I just can't get cynical. I feel like it's the one thing I won't allow myself to get cynical about. Trust me, it's not like I haven't been cynical towards other games (looking at you Last of Us 2) but yeah, I just can't get cynical about Shenmue III...I still really like that game and anytime I go back and play it, I just find myself charmed by it even with its warts.

And I was wondering to myself why? Why can't I get cynical about it? And I guess it's because I still view it as the underdog. It's the underdog fighting up against everyone laughing down at it. And I like rooting for the underdog.

I don't know...that's all. Random thought...but it's the one thing I just can't bring myself to be cynical about still to this day. And that's not to say the criticisms are invalid (they certainly aren't) but yeah. Which is kind of an achievement of sorts as I am DEEPLY cynical to everything else in this world lately :D

Last edited:
I was rewatching the Shenmue Online trailer when I suddenly noticed something that may confirm my theory about the true treasure behind the mystery of the Mirrors; so check this out o_O:

Look at the similarities between the scroll from the Shenmue Online Trailer and the Scroll from Shenmue 3:
Mystical Flaming Pearl Scroll.jpg
Pretty Similar I would say !?

Now check out this other picture of Shenhua from the Shenmue Online Trailer:
Mystical Flaming Pearl.jpg
This looks like a Flaming Pearl doesn't it !?
Flaming Pearl.jpg
I think there is definitely a connection here. What do you guys think about this !?

Back