Random Shenmue III Thoughts

These beta screens were Bailu Village in the minds of fans for 15+ years. The fact the final version is so similar -- training kids, water tower, temple with graveyard, etc. -- is one of the reasons why I'm convinced the main story beats in the final Bailu are faithful to the "original" script outline (circa 2002).

Great catch on the temple with graveyard! While I am sure there was adjustments and changes in a way it’s comforting to see many similar elements between this beta footage and what we eventually got in Shenmue 3.

Maybe Chai wouldn't have returned in Bailu, but his presence has zero impact on the story anyway. I don't think that's a coincidence...it definitely feels like he was added in there for the fans. I didn't mind it because it was cool kicking his ass again.
I feel like Chai was likely to reappear at some point regardless. Not only was the boat chapter/side story comic based around him, but there was also a Chai character model hidden in Shenmue II's files.

While it's easy to write off Chai's return as fan service akin to the forklift job in Niaowu, I think it's just as likely that it was a case of Yu Suzuki wanting to reuse one of his favorite characters.

I feel like Chai was likely to reappear at some point regardless. Not only was the boat chapter/side story comic based around him, but there was also a Chai character model hidden in Shenmue II's files.

While it's easy to write off Chai's return as fan service akin to the forklift job in Niaowu, I think it's just as likely that it was a case of Yu Suzuki wanting to reuse one of his favorite characters.
Definitely, I think there are arguments to be made either way. You could say the boat chapter was supposed to be the end for Chai, or maybe he was always intended to be a recurring presence in Ryo's journey? Maybe there are interviews or Kickstarter updates that feature some insight around this, but I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head.

Definitely, I think there are arguments to be made either way. You could say the boat chapter was supposed to be the end for Chai, or maybe he was always intended to be a recurring presence in Ryo's journey? Maybe there are interviews or Kickstarter updates that feature some insight around this, but I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head.
Chai will get the Mirrors, just as they're possessed by Chi You, then fall into the lava lol.

Today my mind shifted to Bailu Village and how much I enjoyed my time there. I wish that the entirety of Shenmue III was spent here as it has a very beautiful and relaxing vibe. As I have stated in the past, my favorite moments in Shenmue are the quieter moments. That's because, in reality, I am a very quiet introverted person who prefers more peaceful isolated places (especially as I am getting older) over loud and noisy ones.

One day, I hope to live in a place like Bailu Village. To hear the quiet sounds of nature is incredibly soothing to me. Even though Shenmue III is my least favorite game in the series, that does not mean that I disliked everything.

Last edited:
I wonder why they changed Shenhua's stepfather's name.

Yesterday I was replaying Shenmue II, and at the end of the game, I suddenly noticed his name was written on the letter as 袁重壽 or Yuan Chongshou (I'm Chinese so I can read it), but in Shenmue III he got a new name called Yuan Yunshen (袁雲深)?

Did they just forgot his original first name or something?

I wonder why they changed Shenhua's stepfather's name.

Yesterday I was replaying Shenmue II, and at the end of the game, I suddenly noticed his name was written on the letter as 袁重壽 or Yuan Chongshou (I'm Chinese so I can read it), but in Shenmue III he got a new name called Yuan Yunshen (袁雲深)?

Did they just forgot his original first name or something?
Maybe they forgot his name was visible in S2 :p Or maybe they just thought no one would notice...

Or they could've got it wrong in S2 and corrected it in S3. The other Yuan (crazy chainsaw Yuan) should've been called Ieuan, apparently!

Was watching a Shemue 3 Kickstarter video back in July 2015 and noticed this:
20210422231124.png

Do you guys think this could be the 3D render of Elder Yeh during the Dreamcast era?

Shenmue 3's Elder Yeh:
sh3-tey3_orig.jpg

Just a thought on why Shenhua didn't use her powers to defend from being captured.

What if she has a direct connection to the mirrors. Knew of their whereabouts in Iwoa's possession and knew when they where in danger after Lan di took the dragon mirror. Hence telepathically putting those dreams into Ryo so as to enforce his motivation for the journey.

Maybe the proximity of the mirrors has an affect on her powers that's she's unaware of. So when Ryo turns up she feels her power rise and thus is confident in them for whatever she did to Yan. Because Ryo and the mirror was next to her.

She was kidnapped when Ryo wasn't physically near her and her powers where not strong enough to hold them off as she's not entirely sure of her power, where it comes from or how to use it. This could be a last minute revelation that saves the day in the later chapters.

Just a thought on why Shenhua didn't use her powers to defend from being captured.

What if she has a direct connection to the mirrors. Knew of their whereabouts in Iwoa's possession and knew when they where in danger after Lan di took the dragon mirror. Hence telepathically putting those dreams into Ryo so as to enforce his motivation for the journey.

Maybe the proximity of the mirrors has an affect on her powers that's she's unaware of. So when Ryo turns up she feels her power rise and thus is confident in them for whatever she did to Yan. Because Ryo and the mirror was next to her.

She was kidnapped when Ryo wasn't physically near her and her powers where not strong enough to hold them off as she's not entirely sure of her power, where it comes from or how to use it. This could be a last minute revelation that saves the day in the later chapters.
I think Shenhua's powers are like Rey in Star Wars, and haven't fully awakened yet. I guess this would add to the tension, when they confront the 'calamity at the heart of the treasure' and Lan Di realises he needs Shenhua's powers, in order to break through 'Chi You' the calamity, and retrieve the treasure, and riches.

It's nice to see Shenmue III in a positive video

(I also quite like the channel; it's quirky fun without being over the top)
I was just about to post this. He even called it his favorite game. I dunno if he actually just meant the series. Either way, cool. Team Triple Jump's Top Ten videos are so relaxing

I was looking back at the bad ending for Shenmue 3 and I realized that Elder Yeh warns Ryo that the dragon (Lan Di) will block the path on July 31st and Shenhua warned Ryo about the dragon blocking the path on July 31st as well in Shenmue 2. I feel like there’s a big reason the games share the same bad ending date. Perhaps a big story moment will happen once the series canonically reaches July?

Back