Random Shenmue III Thoughts

The graphics of the game are awesome, perhaps too much of the budget went to that. But I kinda understand why, if you make a game with worst graphics, some people would mind. Not in my case, of course, but I mean, is very difficult make everyone happy. Imagine Shenmue 3 with worst graphics and more story, while some of us might have preferred it, I'm sure many people wouldn't have liked it that way either.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Ryo's old model actually looks great?
View attachment 11509

I disagree. Honestly this rendition of Ryo doesn’t quite look Japanese to me. In addition the trademark scowl from his passport model and various artwork renders isn’t quite there.

1621958644753.jpeg

Like I said I was relatively happy with final model we got. I hope with Shenmue 4 they really improve lighting and shaders on the model and get Ryo’s jacket to be darker and I would be happy.

The people who say Shenmue III is ugly are just plain wrong. The game is looking damn good, especially for its budget. Some people may dislike the game but you can't dislike them graphics.
Yeah, the visuals really popped when I first turned it on. Definitely think the animations and menus are where they fell short, not the graphics. I guess the pop-in as well, but that’s supposedly an issue with the engine.

Am I the only one who thinks Ryo's old model actually looks great?
View attachment 11509
Yeah it looks great and I actually think that this version is the closest one to the original.
I agree. I never understood why this model got so much hate. I always thought it was very faithful to Ryo's original design and could have been perfect with a little tweaking. I like the final version that we got too, but I feel like it's slightly less stylized and more on the realistic side compared to this older model.

I think they were originally going for a very faithful recreation of Ryo's old Dreamcast model but changed it when this model got so much negative feedback. Here's a side-by-side comparison:

comparison.jpg

Noticed the same on my current play, which I started from a fresh file and only second time I've played while taking my time and enjoying most of the features (a few stream runs were rushed new game plus). Still need to do most side stories and better arcade and gacha collecting on next play. Also reminded me of the mysterious scroll GuiZhang was unable to translate.

So much Shenmue packed into 3. So good!

Noticed the same on my current play, which I started from a fresh file and only second time I've played while taking my time and enjoying most of the features (a few stream runs were rushed new game plus). Still need to do most side stories and better arcade and gacha collecting on next play. Also reminded me of the mysterious scroll GuiZhang was unable to translate.

So much Shenmue packed into 3. So good!
Completly agree with you; it really resembles the Mysterious scroll that Ryo finds in the Hazuki Dojo.
I've re-edited the picture and added also the one from the Mysterous Scroll for comparison. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
In this concept art of the Guilin chapter we can see Akira, Shenhua and Niao Sun. In my opinion maybe Yu Suzuki original idea for the first appearence of Niao Sun was for her to appear in Guilin, or maybe her in this art is just to show that she is in Guilin doing the things she wants in the shadows, without appearing. It would make sense for her to be there because of the mirrors.

Guilin.jpg

In Shenmue III she was on the same boat that Ryo and Shenhua was so i think she was in Guilin too. It would have been interesting if she had appeared in at least one scene in Guilin.

Niao Sun.png

Back