Random Shenmue III Thoughts

He was this way with Fangmei in II and when walking with Shenhua, there are certain points where he smiles and is calm, like when talking about people in Yokosuka or bending down when he sees fireflies (which reminds me, I SAW ONE LAST WEEK!!! :D The first firefly I've seen in Canada since I was 4 or 5, which was in the early 90s! :D:D:D): especially the latter, he has a calm smile and is completely-relaxed, until Shenhua breaks the mood by saying to watch for snakes.

I see... (With Ryo's Voice)

Most of the time Ryo is calm in the games when talking to other characters, what I'm saying is that in Shenmue I and II he is more introverted, not angry just more introverted, taking pictures with Nozomi and Joy for example.

TwoPhotosOfNozomi.png shenmue-secret-guide-joy-photo-555x312.png

I feel that in Shenmue I he feels more depressed, Ryo is more introverted in Shenmue I than in other games, once even Nozomi said... "You never tell me anything anymore..."

Shen_Nozomi_You_Always_Say_Nothing.png

This is one of the reasons why i think would be really good to make a bigger Shenmue Zero. This way we can see a more relaxed Ryo with his friends, with Iwao and other characters before the tragedy happen, before the events of Shenmue I like in this photo, i love the idea of a bigger Shenmue Zero, and i love the idea of a Iwao Hazuki game, telling his adventures too, there is so many things we can put in this games, so many details.

Photooffriends.jpg

But it is nice that in Shenmue III Ryo living with Shenhua in Bailu Village affected him in a positive way in my opinion, like a second home for Ryo, even when Ryo talk with Shenhua in Niaowu is calm and relaxed, i think Ryo will always be a more introverted character and i like that, i really understand Ryo character,

I'm a introverted person so i really understand, but I saw a different side of Ryo in this game, Ryo opening more about his feelings and his life with Shenhua and even laughing, things that he didn't do with Nozomi and other characters in the first game.

I don't know how to explain better about this but... i just a saw a different side of Ryo in this game and i love this, i love that Ryo living in Bailu Village and strengthening the bonds with Shenhua affected Ryo in a positive way.

I love that he opened more about his feelings and his life, he talked about his mother, his father and much more, he even talked about how he got his jacket, i love this moments in the game, the conversations with Shenhua are sweet and beautiful to me.

Last edited:
I feel like eating food in this game could have been done in a much different way. Imagine if eating at restaurants was a way of Ryo gaining intel/building relationships with the natives. The natives originally treat him like an alien and refuse to help him in his quest, with some kind of rapport system existing in the game that is built up every time Ryo spends time with the locals. The better the rapport with npcs, the better quality clues he'll get.

This is one of the reasons why i think would be really good to make a bigger Shenmue Zero.
Maybe we'll get a snippet of that sort of thing in the anime...maybe.

I love that he opened more about his feelings and his life, he talked about his mother, his father and much more, he even talked about how he got his jacket, i love this moments in the game, the conversations with Shenhua are sweet and beautiful to me.
Agreed. I loved these conversations. I feel like they were generally under-appreciated, too; at launch people were so fixated on the end of the game they dismissed the good things about the start.

To me the conversations with Shenhua in Bailu covered a lot of really interesting back-story, and arguably very important topics that built perfectly off the convos at the end of S2.

I dunno, it just feels like if these convos were in S2 instead of S3, they would've been viewed as extremely important and used as an example of the great storytelling in S2...but because they're in S3, it's easy for some fans to dismiss them or ignore their impact on the story :sneaky:

Maybe we'll get a snippet of that sort of thing in the anime...maybe.

Agreed. I loved these conversations. I feel like they were generally under-appreciated, too; at launch people were so fixated on the end of the game they dismissed the good things about the start.

To me the conversations with Shenhua in Bailu covered a lot of really interesting back-story, and arguably very important topics that built perfectly off the convos at the end of S2.

I dunno, it just feels like if these convos were in S2 instead of S3,hey would've been viewed as extremely important t and used as an example of the great storytelling in S2...but because they're in S3, it's easy for some fans to dismiss them or ignore their impact on the story :sneaky:
I really hope we can see some scenes like this in the anime, scenes before the events of the first game and even things that is not in the game like Iwao's funeral or something like this. What i'm saying is that they can expand the story, even create scenes especially for the anime, this would be really interesting.

With the conversations in Shenmue III we learned more about Ryo and more about Shenhua. In one of the conversations Shenhua talked that she sometimes dreams of her ancestors and when she wakes up its like she's lived one thousand birthdays.

In one conversation she said... "I want to see what Japan is like"

In other conversation she said she can communicate with animals.

I agree with you, If this things and other things i wrote in my other post were in Shenmue II they would've been viewed as extremely important and interesting things about the story, but this conversations are in Shenmue III so maybe a lot of people don't care, i don't know.

All i know is that the conversations between Ryo and Shenhua in Shenmue III are one of my favorite things in the Shenmue series, i need more games with this feeling and vibe. Shenmue is an unforgettable and unique experience.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I still can't believe anybody even thought this was a problem. Worst case scenario, it's unfortunate because it's not on your favorite launcher. Ugh.
You were treated like you were lower than a Nazi if you dared express such an opinion. I have no idea how folks have room for so much outrage.

There's a lot of hype for Shenmue 4 but I can't help but thinking that I would be more pumped for a remaster of Shenmue 3. A beefed up story (Bailu was fine but give Niawou more depth) and give us Baisha.

The last 10 hours of this game felt like I was playing an abridged version of the game. I do feel like if we got Yu's original vision it would have left us very satisfied. I don't want to start 4 when I have a ton of grievances with how the previous game ended :/

I know we'll never get it but I'd want this more than any other game.

There's a lot of hype for Shenmue 4 but I can't help but thinking that I would be more pumped for a remaster of Shenmue 3. A beefed up story (Bailu was fine but give Niawou more depth) and give us Baisha.

The last 10 hours of this game felt like I was playing an abridged version of the game. I do feel like if we got Yu's original vision it would have left us very satisfied. I don't want to start 4 when I have a ton of grievances with how the previous game ended :/

I know we'll never get it but I'd want this more than any other game.
Yeah, I really want a S3: Director's Cut one day.

Shenmue III Director's Cut with Baisha would be a dream come true for me, in a kickstarter video Yu Suzuki even said... "Baisha will show off what Shenmue III is all about." But Baisha is not in the game. 😢

This is one of the reasons why it makes me think that Yu Suzuki had a lot of problems in the development of Shenmue III, this is one of the reasons why I think Shenmue III didn't turn out exactly the way he really wanted.

But i agree with ShenSun, first Shenmue IV and V, after the series is finished, they can revisit the older titles.

Baisha.png

You were treated like you were lower than a Nazi if you dared express such an opinion. I have no idea how folks have room for so much outrage.
On The Forum That Shall Not Be Named, I was ganged up on and told I'm "part of the (Nazi) problem" for supporting Shenmue III because it's published by Deep Silver. Plus, I was banned for saying -- very politely -- that storefronts don't matter to me.

Some corners of the internet have fallen off a freaking cliff in search of the moral high ground...and I consider myself a pretty progressive guy 🤫

*Also, I'd go for a S3 Director's Cut...don't think it'll happen though.

On The Forum That Shall Not Be Named, I was ganged up on and told I'm "part of the (Nazi) problem" for supporting Shenmue III because it's published by Deep Silver. Plus, I was banned for saying -- very politely -- that storefronts don't matter to me.

Some corners of the internet have fallen off a freaking cliff in search of the moral high ground...and I consider myself a pretty progressive guy 🤫

*Also, I'd go for a S3 Director's Cut...don't think it'll happen though.
I'd go for it as an extra that wouldn't take away from Shenmue IV or V.

People are stupid.

Back