Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Seeing the response from fans to Sonic Colors Ultimate is giving me intense Shenmue I & II HD vibes.

To be fair, there are some legit problems with Colors, and I get being disappointed...but acting like it's unplayable, and constantly going on about how the original is better, or "just play it in Dolphin"...yeah, that's a good way to destroy interest in your fave game coming back...well done. Why can't fanboys show a little restraint for once :ROFLMAO:
Lol I know what you're saying. What makes me wonder is why they released in such a state, though watching DF its not as bad as some are saying.

The studio who did them were involved in the Mass Effect remastering and those are generally excellent. Was Sonic Colours Ultimate rushed out?

It's odd, like I get there's issues but the game isn't unplayable by any stretch. Why people act like it is.... I don't know.

Lol I know what you're saying. What makes me wonder is why they released in such a state, though watching DF its not as bad as some are saying.

The studio who did them were involved in the Mass Effect remastering and those are generally excellent. Was Sonic Colours Ultimate rushed out?

It's odd, like I get there's issues but the game isn't unplayable by any stretch. Why people act like it is.... I don't know.
SEGA seem to have a habit of issuing shoestring budgets for these sort of remasters. The devs did a good job, it seems, but SEGA probably weren't willing to compromise on the release date (and budget). Releasing on 4 main platforms simultaneously is always crazy to pull off.

Yeah i watched the DF video on Colours last night and i thought it looked amazing, really excited to play it ! Typical youtubers exasperating the issues for clicks (on the non-switch versions) Shame it got delayed in europe but something to look forward too at the end of the month.
Isn't digital out now?

Yeah i watched the DF video on Colours last night and i thought it looked amazing, really excited to play it ! Typical youtubers exasperating the issues for clicks (on the non-switch versions) Shame it got delayed in europe but something to look forward too at the end of the month.
I've played through the Switch version and got most of the red rings and only experienced one glitch and one bit of slowdown. The issues are massively overblown.

Another Shenmue II localiser discovered :coffee:
I wonder if he would be up for an interview. It's always fascinating to hear behind the scenes nuggets like this!

Seeing the response from fans to Sonic Colors Ultimate is giving me intense Shenmue I & II HD vibes.

To be fair, there are some legit problems with Colors, and I get being disappointed...but acting like it's unplayable, and constantly going on about how the original is better, or "just play it in Dolphin"...yeah, that's a good way to destroy interest in your fave game coming back...well done. Why can't fanboys show a little restraint for once :ROFLMAO:
I'm honestly so done with this shit. The remaster is fine. Is it the most refined, polished and heavily improved remaster of all time? No, but it's fine. Even Digital Foundry concluded that the Switch version "is fine", but just because it's the worst version (for obvious hardware reasons) and some people identified glitches that 99% of people won't ever encounter, suddenly it's "OMG TEH WORST EVA".

People will (and probably have) called me a Sonic/Sega fanboy or apologist for that stance, but I'm honestly not. I don't really care about the game (I would have preferred a Generations remaster to be honest), I'm just sick of the hyperbole trend I have seen growing online over the last decade or so where the second anything doesn't reach a ridiculous standard or is just average, then it's no longer treated as what average would traditionally be treated as and is instead treated as if it's utter crap. We saw a similar thing with Shenmue 3 didn't we?

I have the Wii version of Sonic Colors and I have played the remaster. The new version is clearly superior.

Last edited:
I'm honestly so done with the shit. The remaster is fine. Is it the most refined, polished and heavily improved remaster of all time? No, but it's fine. Even Digital Foundry concluded that the Switch version "is fine", but just because it's the worst version (for obvious hardware reasons) and some people identified glitches that 99% of people won't ever encounter, suddenly it's "OMG TEH WORST EVA".

People will (and probably have) called me a Sonic/Sega fanboy or apologist for that stance, but I'm honestly not. I don't really care about the game (I would have preferred a Generations remaster to be honest), I'm just sick of the hyperbole trend I have seen growing online over the last decade or so where the second anything doesn't reach a ridiculous standard or is just average, then it's no longer treated as what average would traditionally be treated as and is instead treated as if it's utter crap. We saw a similar thing with Shenmue 3 didn't we?

I have the Wii version of Sonic Colors and I have played the remaster. The new version is clearly superior.
I think some of it is maturity. If you played Sonic Colors when you were 12 years old or whatever on Wii, that means you're only 23 now. And from my experience, most people don't stop being petty idiots on the internet until their 30s...and some people never stop 🤫 lol

Of course, some of it is just raw passion manifesting itself in a childish way. They're unable to see the forest for the trees, and the long-term damage that's being done.

I found some interesting informations about Shenmue III. The Verdant bridge in Bailu Village was inspired by a real bridge, a bridge in Guilin, the name of the bridge is Flower Bridge.

Verdant Bridge in Shenmue III

1631231046190.png

Flower bridge in Guilin City

1631231440063.png

"Elephant Trunk Hill is the symbol of the city of Guilin. It got its name because it looks like an elephant drinking water."

1631231702105.png

I don't know if Bailu Village was inspired by a real village but Niaowu was probably inspired by the Phoenix Town in China.

1631232328158.png1631232847597.png

Really nice to see that Yu Suzuki and the team were inspired by real places to create some parts in the game.

Is the text relating to Lou Bega's "Mambo No. 5"?!

I can almost see it working in a Shenmue context...

🎵A little bit of Xiuying in my life
A little bit of Fangmei by my side
A little bit of Nozomi's all I need
A little bit of Joy is what I see
A little bit of Ine in the sun
A little bit of Shenhua all night long
A little bit of Niao Sun here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man
🎵

It would be nice if Sega gave their flagship franchise/IP a little more love. The movie was the first thing they got right in years. Oh, I guess Sonic Mania too.

Sonic Colors Ultimate seems alright, though. I bought it for my kid and haven't noticed any issues?

Is the text relating to Lou Bega's "Mambo No. 5"?!

I can almost see it working in a Shenmue context...

🎵A little bit of Xiuying in my life
A little bit of Fangmei by my side
A little bit of Nozomi's all I need
A little bit of Joy is what I see
A little bit of Ine in the sun
A little bit of Shenhua all night long
A little bit of Niao Sun here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man
🎵
A little bit of Ine in the Sun
cracked me up 🤣

A little bit of "YU" makes me your man 🎵
Would also fit very well the song. 🤣

It would be nice if Sega gave their flagship franchise/IP a little more love. The movie was the first thing they got right in years. Oh, I guess Sonic Mania too.

Sonic Colors Ultimate seems alright, though. I bought it for my kid and haven't noticed any issues?
"buying for kid" might make me actually want to start a family someday

Like when I'd buy my brother games "for him" on birthday or holiday :D

Lol, yep. I play through all his games. :) Especially the Sonic games.

Back