Random Shenmue III Thoughts

With August 27th being the initial release date it still felt like it was a long ways off. Now that the release date is Nov 19th it feels like a eternity lol. I can accept it if it means a better game but my heart can't bear another delay. It's been 20 years please just give me the damn game I'm begging you ?

Have you guys seen the credit roll for Bloodstained? Over 130 core development staff from 4 seperate teams (ArtPlay, WayForward Technologies, Dico Co., Ltd., Monobit) brought this game to life. And the games raised $1.5 million less than Shenmue.

I’m wagering that there are no less than 100 core staff working on Shenmue 3. If I’m wrong, I’ll leave these forums forever.

Have you guys seen the credit roll for Bloodstained? Over 130 core development staff from 4 seperate teams (ArtPlay, WayForward Technologies, Dico Co., Ltd., Monobit) brought this game to life. And the games raised $1.5 million less than Shenmue.

I’m wagering that there are no less than 100 core staff working on Shenmue 3. If I’m wrong, I’ll leave these forums forever.

No I haven't but I've been hearing nothing but positive things about bloodstained.

I wish people would stop using "rip off" or "clone" when describing games, like if you do a game with X element it's yours forever and everyone else is an imitator. This does nothing but make people miss on great games that they would have otherwise played if not for people incessantly labeling it a second rate product. I know plenty of people who missed Silent Hill 1, Parasite Eve 2, Duke freaking Nukem 3D and other so called "clones" at their time of release because of it.
"Rip off" was a bit harsh in this case. All I meant was Bloodstained is blatantly emulating SotN in all aspects, even down to enemy patterns and so forth. My point was it's emulating one of the most beloved games of all time and Shenmue III can't compete with that.

I loved Parasite Eve 2 back in the day :love: I watched a Let's Play recently though and I think my brain blocked out the final 3rd of that game...I think it takes a bit of a nosedive after Dryfield, which is one of my favourite locales in any game.

It's also a 2.5D platformer with a singular focus, not a 3D open world game with multiple gameplay modes. Surely you can make that distinction?

Last edited:
Am I the only person who refuses to watch Shenmue 3 videos because I want to be surprised as possible when it releases?

I did... until I gave up one week ago. But I don't regret as the videos showed very few stuff considering the expected scale of the game. And it prevented me from being utterly disappointed by the fight system at day one (because, yeah, the combat system does not look good right now).

If Yu Suzuki wants to do Shenmue 6 they better be pumping these games out we ain't getting any younger.
Not to be morbid, but I was wondering the other day how many of the 79,000 backers have died since the Kickstarter announcement 4 years ago.

How bad of reviews would Shenmue 3 have to receive to prevent you guys from playing it?

Who cares about reviews? I mean a majority of it is subjective.

I remember when many people shitted on Deadly Premonition on its debut release and it was like $19 when I use to live in the States and I bought and played it, It was so unique and good in its own way, an overlooked gem because of its price and cheesy cover-art. One of the best games I played without knowing too much about it other than people saying don't play it.

As a hardcore Shenmue Fan I'd still play SIII with a 2/10 review.

So, nothing related to sales or review, here...

I was discussing game controls and interface with family members.
(It's my hobby studying game interface and control, so it's not unusual talk.)
And, I was explaining how SH3 camera control may be slightly different to SH1+2;

At the same time, I was telling them how Shenhua would walk along Ryo.

And...
They though i was saying that the camera would be Shenhua's eyes.

(i must have been a little too messy in my explaining.)

But, then, I realized how it could be fitting to have something like :
When shenhua walk with Ryo, she position herself according to how the camera is set.
(combined with relationship constrains of position.)

It could be made so that the camera more or less align with her POV.
Or, maybe another relative scene composition concept.

In a few words :
I like the idea of a controllable game camera acting as a guideline,
for how the characters dynamically position themselves.

Even if it's not in SH3 at all, I'm glad talking about SH3 brought this concept to mind.

Shenhua as the camera? That's quite a concept. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Mario 64 of all games, where you have a Lakitu literally hauling a camera around behind the player.

Of course, the only problem with that is you couldn't have Shenhua and Ryo in separate locations anymore for story purposes.

Back