Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Which is funny because I always thought this version was better than the one we got in 2017. Basically makes it a better trailer because the 2017 cut was super awkward.
I suppose they had to have something extra to show the press at Gamescom 2017, and arguably they might have been trying to buff a few rough edges off by releasing a cut down version publicly, but the longer version is my preferred cut too warts n' all.

I still maintain the Gamescom 2017 progress video gets a bad rap anyway. Taken for exactly what it is - a selection of pre-Alpha scenes - it does a good job of capturing the Shenmue story and vibe non-verbally. If the release hadn't been fumbled by Sony's channel putting it up early, and the language was unified by how it's described on the Kickstarter as a progress video, people might not have kicked up as much of a shit fit...?

People said Ys Net should have clearly marked it as pre-Alpha or whatever, but the WIP and Gamescom 2017 watermarks were all over the leaked extended version and some people still treated it like a new trailer that represents where development was around MAGIC 2018. Alpha and pre-Alpha were on the THQ Nordic market days footage, same with the WIP watermark on the newer videos too. People just don't care, unfortunately.

I suppose they had to have something extra to show the press at Gamescom 2017, and arguably they might have been trying to buff a few rough edges off by releasing a cut down version publicly, but the longer version is my preferred cut too warts n' all.

I still maintain the Gamescom 2017 progress video gets a bad rap anyway. Taken for exactly what it is - a selection of pre-Alpha scenes - it does a good job of capturing the Shenmue story and vibe non-verbally. If the release hadn't been fumbled by Sony's channel putting it up early, and the language was unified by how it's described on the Kickstarter as a progress video, people might not have kicked up as much of a shit fit...?

People said Ys Net should have clearly marked it as pre-Alpha or whatever, but the WIP and Gamescom 2017 watermarks were all over the leaked extended version and some people still treated it like a new trailer that represents where development was around MAGIC 2018. Alpha and pre-Alpha were on the THQ Nordic market days footage, same with the WIP watermark on the newer videos too. People just don't care, unfortunately.

I also wonder if we'll ever see the full Magic 2019 trailer. Because this one was supposedly a shorter version.

I noticed while watching this earlier there's some early examples of the Walmart footage. It really does look so much better now.
-snip-
Hi there, this is leaked footage that was never supposed to be made public. The Dojo don't endorse the uploader's decision to release it and as such we don't allow it to be posted here.

I've removed the link from your post.

I’ve been going through my entire CD collection and re doing everything to FLAC...the days of the need for audio compression are over when we have 10TB HDD’s. Can never go back to compression now.
Just a note on this - If you or anyone else is using any wireless speakers or headphones then you won't be gaining anything from using FLAC. The standard bluetooth audio A2DP profile used by wireless headphones supports up to 4 different compressed audio codecs (not including vendor specific additions outside of spec) with MP3 and AAC being most commonly used. If you listen to FLAC over wireless speakers, it's being converted to a compressed format by the transmitter since bluetooth didn't have enough bandwidth to stream lossless audio at the time the audio spec was created.

I used to put much of the music that I stream from my phone to my car stereo in FLAC, until I learned it was pointless and switched back to highest quality MP3. I've been ripping any CD's I buy to FLAC for several years now so that I can listen to them lossless from my desktop, but also encoding separate MP3 copies at highest quality VBR for use on my phone.

Just a note on this - If you or anyone else is using any wireless speakers or headphones then you won't be gaining anything from using FLAC. The standard bluetooth audio A2DP profile used by wireless headphones supports up to 4 different compressed audio codecs (not including vendor specific additions outside of spec) with MP3 and AAC being most commonly used. If you listen to FLAC over wireless speakers, it's being converted to a compressed format by the transmitter since bluetooth didn't have enough bandwidth to stream lossless audio at the time the audio spec was created.

I used to put much of the music that I stream from my phone to my car stereo in FLAC, until I learned it was pointless and switched back to highest quality MP3. I've been ripping any CD's I buy to FLAC for several years now so that I can listen to them lossless from my desktop, but also encoding separate MP3 copies at highest quality VBR for use on my phone.

I have a set of Mackie Reference Level Bookshelf Speakers hooked up to my turntable through RCA and now also hooked up to my PC through a standard 3.5MM AUX plug. I also have my PC outputting through HDMI into my TV (my PC is directly connected to the TV) which then spits out via the TV's Optical Out to a budget (but still rather nice) pair of Edifier Bookshelf Speakers. But I recently also connected my Turntable dedicated Mackie speakers directly into the PC solely for Kodi and it works a treat.

Sounds great to my ear. Maybe it's just me but I can tell the difference between the old MP3's I have compared to the Flac files I've been doing through said speakers. The Flac files sound fuller where as MP3 seems a little flat by comparison. Maybe it's just me, but I do tend to notice a bit of a difference.

On my phone though, I do rock a pair of Bluetooth headphones but I'm subscribed to Apple Music so I don't really keep much music locally on my phone (to be honest)...my data plan allows for free music streaming so yeah, with Spotify and Apple Music, I don't see much point putting music on my phone (unless its something I know Apple Music doesn't have)

But on my PC...I still keep a separate portable HDD of music files...a mix between some old MP3 files I've had for years and the recent FLAC rips I've been doing from my CD collection and I have that stuff sorted through Kodi. Kodi's my main go to media center and I absolutely love it.

But yeah, I don't put Flac files on my phone...I don't really put anything on my phone any more since I started the Apple Music subscription.

Last edited:
Hi there, this is leaked footage that was never supposed to be made public. The Dojo don't endorse the uploader's decision to release it and as such we don't allow it to be posted here.

I've removed the link from your post.
Apologies thought it was fair game as was on YouTube but I totally get it.

I NEVER listen to music wirelessly; the downgrade is clear and bothersome; its why I purposely purchased a wired set of headphone over wireless; nothing like it.

Anyways, speaking of music, just out of curiousity, are us backers (who are getting it), still getting the soundtrack goodies with our Kickstarter?

Don't care either way, but if we do, maybe we'll finally get a proper, FULL-LENGTH and high quality version of II's credits; the one that is found everywhere cuts off the last 13 seconds or so and the version I ripped from a YT vid, sucks hard.

Anyways, speaking of music, just out of curiousity, are us backers (who are getting it), still getting the soundtrack goodies with our Kickstarter?

I don't see why not. There's been no indication to the contrary, and we don't need regular reassurances that each reward is "still happening," do we? I mean apart from the trial version, which so many convinced themselves had been quietly scrapped despite regular reassurances.

Don't care either way, but if we do, maybe we'll finally get a proper, FULL-LENGTH and high quality version of II's credits; the one that is found everywhere cuts off the last 13 seconds or so and the version I ripped from a YT vid, sucks hard.
Shenmue 2's credits is just Track 1 from the Shenmue Orchestra soundtrack. We have it lossless already.

And that's why I rely on the fanbase for my massive blunders.

I thank you tons, @Sappharad :D

EDIT: Just listened to it now, so incredible to hear it at such a great quality! I still can't believe I've never sat down and really listened to the orchestra soundtrack; its always been stuff in-game, stuff from Galbadia Hotel/FFShrine and Youtube.

If you would have told me 5 years ago that Shenmue 3 would be announced in 2015 and end up looking like this, I would have never believed it. In fact, I'm still in disbelief. As Lee Kuan Yew once said, ' The impossible can happen!'

I've been to Guilin. This is exactly how the karst mountains look like. For anyone else who's been there, you will note that YSNet has perfectly captured the moist, hot air so characteristic of the region.

Back