Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm gonna need those that fortunate enough to play the trial version to give their spoiler free impressions. I don't want to hear any excuses like I'm married, I have kids, I had to work. Shenmue 3 comes before everything ???????

I'm gonna need those that fortunate enough to play the trial version to give their spoiler free impressions. I don't want to hear any excuses like I'm married, I have kids, I had to work. Shenmue 3 comes before everything ???????

You are completely right about this! It has been hard to convince my wife about this though :-D

Hi there, I don't post a lot but I read almost every post here. Thanks a lot for the support you give to shenmue! I am looking for a way to play the demo on a Mac (I bought a ps4 specially to play the game but I don't wanna spend +800€ in a new computer just to experience the demo). I have access to a Mac pro but I was wondering if I could boot windows from an external Ssd usb3 drive (I don't wanna put datas on the internal drive) and if it could do the trick.
If not and if I have to use the internal drive, which software would you recommend (any Mac gamer here?)?
thanks again for the love and support you give every day for this life-changing game!

Last edited:
Hi there, I don't post a lot but I read almost every post here. Thanks a lot for the support you give to shenmue! I am looking for a way to play the demo on a Mac (I bought a ps4 specially to play the game but I don't wanna spend +800€ in a new computer just to experience the demo). I have access to a Mac pro but I was wondering if I could boot windows from an external Ssd usb3 drive (I don't wanna put datas on the internal drive) and if it could do the trick.
If not which software would you recommend (any Mac gamer here?)?
thanks again for the love and support you give every day for this life-changing game!
Bootcamp lets you install Windows on your Mac, but I'm not sure if it supports booting from an external drive.

You may also have have a little bit of luck with WINE (which lets you run Windows applications on Linux and macOS), but it can be extremely hit or miss and with something as new as Shenmue III, it might not even work at all.

Bootcamp lets you install Windows on your Mac, but I'm not sure if it supports booting from an external drive.

You may also have have a little bit of luck with WINE (which lets you run Windows applications on Linux and macOS), but it can be extremely hit or miss and with something as new as Shenmue III, it might not even work at all.
Unfortunately, bootcamp won't let you install window on an external drive (as much as I know) and will create a new partition on the internal drive. If anyone has other solutions to play on a Mac without messing with the internal HDD let me know! Thanks

Unfortunately, bootcamp won't let you install window on an external drive (as much as I know) and will create a new partition on the internal drive. If anyone has other solutions to play on a Mac without messing with the internal HDD let me know! Thanks
Ah that sucks!
You could maybe install Windows 10 in a virtual machine using something like VirtualBox. I think with a few tweaks, you can pretty much pass your entire CPU/GPU through so there's no performance hit as well.

Ah that sucks!
You could maybe install Windows 10 in a virtual machine using something like VirtualBox. I think with a few tweaks, you can pretty much pass your entire CPU/GPU through so there's no performance hit as well.
I heard of Parallels which has a free trial of 14 days, I'll try to see if I can install it and store all the datas on my external drive.
Installing and running windows on a Mac on an external drive seems feasible but a bit complicated.
otherwise I'll kindly ask to the owner of the Mac to understand that I've been waiting for too long to care and simply use bootcamp ?

You'd think Sega would want the Shenmue ip back after Shenmue 3. If it sells well, i can see Deep Silver picking it up. Fair play to them aswell, they are the ones that helped big time when the series needed it.

If Shenmue 3 sells very well I could see Sega investing again. I think it would have to sells really well though. Maybe 3-5 million???

If Shenmue 3 sells very well I could see Sega investing again. I think it would have to sells really well though. Maybe 3-5 million???
If it does 1 million and Deep Silver stay onboard I could see Sega putting something in.

Cedric said 1 million sales was the target and he even said if 3 flopped the chances of 4 happening is 50/50.

The proof will be in the sales which is why we need to get the message out there that this game is special and hopefully attract new players.

If it does 1 million and Deep Silver stay onboard I could see Sega putting something in.

Cedric said 1 million sales was the target and he even said if 3 flopped the chances of 4 happening is 50/50.

The proof will be in the sales which is why we need to get the message out there that this game is special and hopefully attract new players.

Maybe Sega is already secretly biding it's time to jump back in the Shenmue business? I wouldn't be surprised if they already discussed options with Yu Suzuki.

That's true. Also keep in mind a potential Shenmue 4 would be cheaper to make than Shenmue 3. Everything in S3 had to be created from scratch from assets, gameplay systems, etc. Shenmue 4 would have a shorter development process.

Back