Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I just started play-through number two. No matter how I feel about the game from Chobu/Niaowu on (which is still at least a 7-8/10 to me), Bailu village has something special about it. Looking forward to going for all the trophies this time. I also set it on nightmare/hardest difficulty. Has anyone here beaten it on that yet? Does it affect more than just the fights?

By the way, did we figure out the deal with the herb trophy. I’ll go check the thread now, but if anyone has any advice not given there, let me know!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I think Bailu it's a 9 and Niaowu a 7

So is Chobu the Japanese name for Niaowu like they call Bailu by Hakkasan(or something like that)?
Hakkason/はっかそん, I think it is. So yeah, just the Japanese pronunciation of the kanji.

Hey, if anyone here is good at Japanese, can you explain the pronunciation of that? Why does the haku for white and ka for deer combine in that way? Eliminating the く I mean.

I was a bit of a slacker in my 4 years of university Japanese classes lol. I was always great with grammar but never practiced kanji/vocabulary (Literally never studied them beyond the Genki books in the first year - I’m terrible and it’s embarrassing). I only got through it because the exams were only oral and we could steer the conversation towards something we know well. I got a perfect score in my final class because I spoke to the teacher about SEGA and the Yakuza games lol.

Last edited:
I have not been able to play Shenmue III nearly as much as I want because they're fucking around in my living room because of some pipe leaking. Tore down the wall, now they're gonna paint the ceiling. I have barely been able to spend time in that room.

I'm hoping to get back into it a bit later today.

Finally got around to starting the game in earnest and I'm loving it. The loop is addictive and I'm loving the conversations with Shenhua at the end of a long day.

Credit to the team for getting this complete on the strict budget. There are flaws, sure, but the game is remarkably close to what I had envisioned over all these years.

This awful tweet blew up with the usual addition of made up facts to make Ys Net look bad.

something about this series makes people really weird
Never even heard of this guy before. Oh well, I guess he's earned his 15 minutes of fame this time. He better enjoy it while it lasts. I hear the new rules YouTube is putting in place soon might make channels like his permanently demonetised.

Back