Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Sorry for asking but may you explain a bit ?
i was playing s3 late last night. i was stuck replaying this one task in the kung fu shop, i started looking at the design of his shirt thinking wtf lol ( i guess it has a different meaning in japan)

And yes it does mean something else in Asia.

It’s used by a lot of religions (sometimes inverted or rotated) and has been around for much longer than the nazis. Over here it’s used on maps to show temples. This year the government made the decision to stop using it on tourist maps ahead of the olympics after some tourists got offended.

I think its stupid to change these symbols in other regions just to avoid "trouble".
I'm german and i know that this symbol means something completely different in asian regions,
pretty much all of our history lessons in school were about WW2 and how Germany f'd up.
If tourists in asian countries dont know the difference, they should be ashamed and not the country.
Its totally fine that this is banned here in Germany but China, Korea or Japan is not Germany.

After 20 years of waiting the cave has become the symbol of Shenmue’s failure and the dead end that most of us never thought could be overcome.
It might be trivial to remake the last part of Shenmue II, and most probably it wouldn’t be so important if the game had been released in the early 2000, but after all this years It would be anticlimactic to not include that scene from the opening.
Anyway, judging from what’s shown by the prophecy trailer, I highly doubt it is the case. Most probably it will not be a playable section, just a recap cutscene of what happened in the cave.
I can almost see it, after the cave scene the screen fade out to the title screen, and rivers of tears begin to flow... XD

Yeah, makes me really happy seeing that. Shenmue 2's ending is being fully honoured and not retconned.
Man, these were the days. Seemed like so long ago.

*cue Iwao flashback music*

Oh, I see. It looks like swastikas.

Jewish dude here, yeah just buddhist swastikas, unfortunately a lot of games have went to great lengths to censor this stuff. I remember a rare pokemon card I was seeking had a swastika and was not sold here. I don't feel offended by it at all.

I think its stupid to change these symbols in other regions just to avoid "trouble".
I'm german and i know that this symbol means something completely different in asian regions,
pretty much all of our history lessons in school were about WW2 and how Germany f'd up.
If tourists in asian countries dont know the difference, they should be ashamed and not the country.
Its totally fine that this is banned here in Germany but China, Korea or Japan is not Germany.

They did something similar with Wolfenstein in Germany, I generally cannot stand any form of censorship but I suppose I like to preserve the original meaning and art.

Was it changed in the German version? :ROFLMAO:

I don't remember how the guy looked in the German version. I hope it wasn't changed. If so, it would be way overboard.

Everyone knows it's a symbol frequently used in Buddhism. I've seen it on tons of Buddha statues in China while I worked there.

People can say what they want about shenmue 3, but the telephone conversations and bond you build with shenhua were absolutely phenomenal
I play with the English dub and I unfortunately found the telephone conversations very disappointing due to localization errors and the lack of original voice actors (or ones that sound even remotely similar).

But overall, I love the game. It may not be perfect, but I had a blast playing it. It still has that truly special Shenmue charm and I'm extremely grateful that it even exists.

Now we just need a Shenmue IV confirmation. I await whilst praying....

They did something similar with Wolfenstein in Germany, I generally cannot stand any form of censorship but I suppose I like to preserve the original meaning and art.

Was it changed in the German version? :ROFLMAO:

I don't remember how the guy looked in the German version. I hope it wasn't changed. If so, it would be way overboard.

Everyone knows it's a symbol frequently used in Buddhism. I've seen it on tons of Buddha statues in China while I worked there.

Our age rating system for movies and games FSK/USK is pretty relaxed nowadays.
A lot of times the german age rating suggestion is lower than the PEGI rating
and movies dont really get censored anymore. They pretty much unbanned all of the 70, 80 and 90's slaher films
and made new ratings for them and now they are all uncut and rated 16+. (instead of cut and 18+)
Even modern movies like The Hateful Eight are uncut and rated 16+.
Same for games, Red Dead Redemption 2 and so on are all uncut.
Its not nearly as harsh as it was ten years ago.

And they even changed the "nazi symbol" restriction for video games. They were always okay in movies
because movies are officially considered as art, video games arent.
They changed this and its now possible to release video games with these symbols in Germany
but only if the age rating company thinks that the symbols make sense in that specific product.
So they still can say no but for example the latest Wolfenstein game was released uncut in Germany too.

The only thing that our age rating company for video games, USK ,doesnt like at all
are lewd / sexy asian video games with underage looking anime characters.
They refuse to rate that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
People can say what they want about shenmue 3, but the telephone conversations and bond you build with shenhua were absolutely phenomenal
i thought they were good as well. would of been great if there was more Conversations you could have.

it really does open up the possibilities in the future, i mean instead of just an interesting phone call, they could help the story progress ( ie if you need information or advice)

Haha so I just traded in a spare copy of Shenmue 3 into CEX and got served by the most unprofessional guy ever. Bless him, he looked about 15.

The conversation basically went "what did you think of Shenmue 3?", with me responding I really enjoyed it mostly. You'd think that would be the moment he just says "fair enough", but nope, he went on and on about how he's seen Youtube videos and how it looks like utter shit, it's janky as hell, looks boring and it looks like a PS1 game (makes a change from it looking like a PS2 game, I suppose). Then he said the hud is literally the worse hud he has ever seen in his life.

Bless the kids of today.

I wasn't offended, I just thought it was funny. The really unprofessional part was when I asked if he could have a look for a Saturn game that they have in stock, but I couldn't see where their Saturn games have moved to. He couldn't find it and apologised profusely (fair enough), but then went on a huge rant about how crap the new manager is and has made their lives hell at Christmas, because he's just moved all the stock around and none of the assistants know where any of the stock has gone and he's just a massive bellend. Lol. He told me they have 9 Xbox controllers and people keep queuing up to buy one and they have to apologise that no one knows where the manager has moved them to.

Haha so I just traded in a spare copy of Shenmue 3 into CEX and got served by the most unprofessional guy ever. Bless him, he looked about 15.

The conversation basically went "what did you think of Shenmue 3?", with me responding I really enjoyed it mostly. You'd think that would be the moment he just says "fair enough", but nope, he went on and on about how he's seen Youtube videos and how it looks like utter shit, it's janky as hell, looks boring and it looks like a PS1 game (makes a change from it looking like a PS2 game, I suppose). Then he said the hud is literally the worse hud he has ever seen in his life.

Bless the kids of today.

I wasn't offended, I just thought it was funny. The really unprofessional part was when I asked if he could have a look for a Saturn game that they have in stock, but I couldn't see where their Saturn games have moved to. He couldn't find it and apologised profusely (fair enough), but then went on a huge rant about how crap the new manager is and has made their lives hell at Christmas, because he's just moved all the stock around and none of the assistants know where any of the stock has gone and he's just a massive bellend. Lol. He told me they have 9 Xbox controllers and people keep queuing up to buy one and they have to apologise that no one knows where the manager has moved them to.
I can't even be mad, just like... what the hell? Lmao. Must be one of those guys that "can't read the air" like Ryo, as Yu might say.

It’s used by a lot of religions (sometimes inverted or rotated) and has been around for much longer than the nazis. Over here it’s used on maps to show temples. This year the government made the decision to stop using it on tourist maps ahead of the olympics after some tourists got offended.
This upsets me probably way more than it should. If nothing else, how on earth are there people still unaware of it's usage in Buddhism as @hyo_razuki pointed out?

I can't even be mad, just like... what the hell? Lmao. Must be one of those guys that "can't read the air" like Ryo, as Yu might say.

This upsets me probably way more than it should. If nothing else, how on earth are there people still unaware of it's usage in Buddhism as @hyo_razuki pointed out?

I think they are aware but it has become such a sensitive symbol now in the west and I think a lot of it has to do with some of the modern day issues. I agree with you that it is not an evil symbol and that the context used is not meant to imply hatred.

Back