Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I thought the qte's had fine timing and I hardly failed, I was surprised when I saw people were having trouble lol
I think it was seeing people complain about them so much here is what made me on edge when they showed up, only to find them very underwhelming and not hard. I honestly feel like there wasnt even that many in the game anyway.

Not saying they were the easiest ever, especially cause qtes have been pretty braindead this generation, but they were far from unfair especially compared to when qtes become more widespread on the late end of the ps2.

They were hard because of being so enthralled, perched-upon-the edge of seat the whole game. Built them up too much, but alter in game i got used to them GOT GUD....REAL GUD

Do I wish they were maybe a tiny bit slower on Easy or Normal? Hell yes, but im fine how they are. Preference would be CQTEs for the three or four big plot-fight sequences.

I will say though that the choreography of the QTE scenes has been brilliant throughout the game. There are QTE chases and fights in games with much bigger budgets that feel so glitchy and cheap (*cough* Uncharted and FFXV...) but in Shenmue 3 the couple of chases there are and the couple of QTE fights there are really look and feel meaty and weighty. It's a mixture of solid direction and really good sound effects that make the difference

I have to say watching @Peter reaction on his Day 24 play through, the finale of Bailu chapter and arriving at Niaowu did bring a smile to my face. Definitely the most impressive section for me where the visuals, cinematography and music all game together really well. It’s a shame the game struggled to reach those same highs.

I’m curious is this his first play through?

I have to say watching @Peter reaction on his Day 24 play through, the finale of Bailu chapter and arriving at Niaowu did bring a smile to my face. Definitely the most impressive section for me where the visuals, cinematography and music all game together really well. It’s a shame the game struggled to reach those same highs.

That really was such a great moment. Such a shame not much happens in Niaowu. I didn't even know you could explore the boat. lol

Thanks code name. Yea, this is a live recording of each and every time I sat down to play the game (when I got the chance.), So every reaction is as is. Good and bad. I have finished the game and all the episodes are on my PC, it's just a bit of a drag, the whole YT upload process, and why it's going up in batches.

As much as I have enjoyed the last 4 years, being on camera, streaming etc, this will be the last time I do anything like this, in terms of appearing on camera etc. I don't want to go into it too much, so all I will say is I will focus my work for Shenmue and the Dojo offline. I don't want to be an on camera person, or being seen as using Shenmue for some sort of own personal gain or fame.

There's been a major problem in the Shenmue community for some time now, where certain individuals crave that sort of attention. Need to make themselves feel important as much as they need oxygen to breathe, and it's almost at the stage where I am that fed up of it all, that it's killing my passion for the franchise and at times I feel ready to walk away. How I deal with that over the coming months will define what I decide to do. But for now, I am mostly working quietly on other stuff for the site and it's outlets, so I am happy some of you are watching, and enjoying the content the site puts out.

Thanks code name. Yea, this is a live recording of each and every time I sat down to play the game (when I got the chance.), So every reaction is as is. Good and bad. I have finished the game and all the episodes are on my PC, it's just a bit of a drag, the whole YT upload process, and why it's going up in batches.

As much as I have enjoyed the last 4 years, being on camera, streaming etc, this will be the last time I do anything like this, in terms of appearing on camera etc. I don't want to go into it too much, so all I will say is I will focus my work for Shenmue and the Dojo offline. I don't want to be an on camera person, or being seen as using Shenmue for some sort of own personal gain or fame.

There's been a major problem in the Shenmue community for some time now, where certain individuals crave that sort of attention. Need to make themselves feel important as much as they need oxygen to breathe, and it's almost at the stage where I am that fed up of it all, that it's killing my passion for the franchise and at times I feel ready to walk away. How I deal with that over the coming months will define what I decide to do. But for now, I am mostly working quietly on other stuff for the site and it's outlets, so I am happy some of you are watching, and enjoying the content the site puts out.
You do what you’ve got to do mate. It really does go to show how much the internet has changed during the gap between S2 and 3 - things felt a lot more intimate back then, nowadays (largely thanks to social media, YouTube, twitch and the like), there’s an insatiable need for instant gratification, to be the first to do something/stream something etc, and it’s kind of exhausting when you grew up with ‘ye olde internet’ of the late 90’s/early 2000’s. I feel like an old man in a strange confusing place sometimes...
At any rate, everything you do is appreciated man, it’s thanks to you the Dojo is still up and running and we can talk about the game (for better or worse), and I plan on watching your playthrough once it’s done as I can’t wait to see your reactions and feelings. If we ever were to meet IRL, I’d shake your hand and buy you a pint for sure bud. You’ve always been one of the most passionate and dedicated fans 👍

I say do what pleases you and what is right for you first and foremost. Don’t worry about all that other junk. You strike me as completely humble and that’s what I like about you :) There’s no pretense or bs to contend with.

I’ve enjoyed your content. Been watching the Shenmue III vids as you’ve been posting. But again, do what you feel is right by you. It’s all that really matters in the end.

I just wanted to reiterate that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your streams over the past few years as it was an excellent rallying point for the community. I hope whatever is going in the background you will revisit it at some point because I know I speak for many but your enthusiasm and dedication to the series keeps fans like me coming back to discuss Shenmue with fellow fans.

Also I seem to get perverse enjoyment watching @Peter repeatedly fail QTE’s in Shenmue 3!

Last edited:
Back