Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Does anyone think at any point you actually *were* supposed to fight the Pail Toss Bookie? The dialogue was confusing to me, it didn't seem like he was being shifty to me or suggesting they should fight, and Ryo doesn't reject the offer of playing Pail Toss, unless I missed something? To me it seemed like something that may have changed during development to get a fight in earlier in the story.

(He happens to be the English VA director if you wanted to know who was responsible for the masterful dub)

Does anyone think at any point you actually *were* supposed to fight the Pail Toss Bookie? The dialogue was confusing to me, it didn't seem like he was being shifty to me or suggesting they should fight, and Ryo doesn't reject the offer of playing Pail Toss, unless I missed something? To me it seemed like something that may have changed during development to get a fight in earlier in the story.
You...do fight him though

Hah, sorry, I meant that you were supposed to actually play Pail Toss instead of fighting, because that's what the dialogue before the fight makes it sound like you're going to do.
I thought it was to have a story related fight in the trial demo that would be changed to play pail toss in the full game.

I thought it was to have a story related fight in the trial demo that would be changed to play pail toss in the full game.

Yeah, my guess is it started as a game of Pail Toss, but changing it to a fight encourages you to check out the Martial Hall before you meet the thugs terrorising the village, but they never had time to change the dialogue.

Ya know, I find it commendable that Suzuki purposely made the game "dated" in places just to please the fans knowing full well it wouldn't go over well with the general gaming populous nowadays.

Yu Suzuki loves his fans to a degree I don't think I have seen in any game developer ever.

Just noticed on my second playthrough...if you don't check in to the hotel you can stay out till 11pm

81581566_10157620236985803_3657094953814720512_o.jpg

81921928_10157620236810803_8965279411859357696_o.jpg

For all the millions of flaws people can find in Shenmue 3 (and I'm one of the people who can easily point them all out too), there's honestly something incredibly special and endearing about the Shenmue games and I'm so glad Shenmue 3 maintains and enhances everything that was so brilliant about the first two games, even though there are some major issues, particularly in regards to the story and pacing.

It really is a testament to Yu Suzuki's attention to detail and commitment and stubbornness to recreating the Shenmue style in Shenmue 3 that it is probably my game of the year. Honestly, I just can't get into games anymore and I get so bored so easily. I've been looking at my backlog of games, the stuff I've bought in the last few months and new games to buy on the eShop to play and I just find myself going through them one by one saying to myself "meh, meh, meh" and so on. Shenmue 3 though, I loved from start to finish even if the latter half in Niaowu started to drag. Maybe it's nostalgia, I don't know, but nothing else competes at the moment.

Hell, I found myself playing Battlefront II (that's the 2005 edition) and Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution earlier on the PS2. I just can't find anything to play on modern consoles at the moment. Lacklustre plot and writing aside, Shenmue 3 just seems to have the thing I want from games at the moment that other modern games lack.

It really is a testament to Yu Suzuki's attention to detail and commitment and stubbornness to recreating the Shenmue style in Shenmue 3 that it is probably my game of the year. Honestly, I just can't get into games anymore and I get so bored so easily. I've been looking at my backlog of games, the stuff I've bought in the last few months and new games to buy on the eShop to play and I just find myself going through them one by one saying to myself "meh, meh, meh" and so on. Shenmue 3 though, I loved from start to finish even if the latter half in Niaowu started to drag. Maybe it's nostalgia, I don't know, but nothing else competes at the moment.

Hell, I found myself playing Battlefront II (that's the 2005 edition) and Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution earlier on the PS2. I just can't find anything to play on modern consoles at the moment. Lacklustre plot and writing aside, Shenmue 3 just seems to have the thing I want from games at the moment that other modern games lack.

Kinda in the same boat. I have Death Stranding waiting, but I just can't do it. I really can't be assed to play that game. I have NFS The Heat waiting, but again can't be assed to get back to it. I have to finish off Control at some point; again, can't be bothered. Instead, I keep finding myself going back to things like Virtua Fighter 2 or Virtua Fighter 5 Showdown on PS3...or lately going through Yakuza 3 again. I've been playing Nights Into Dreams on the PS3. I've been flirting with playing Resident Evil Code Veronica on the Dreamcast (never finished it before and am kinda curious to finally see it through before RE3 Remake.)

Lately I'm even feeling the itch to go back to Persona 4 for what would seem to be the sixth or seventh time...even though I have the Japanese copy of Persona 5 The Royal waiting to be played.

And I know at some point I want to go back and platinum Shenmue III (took a break from it just because I didn't want to immediately platinum it...I want to have a reason to come back to it)

As of right now, nothing is floating my boat though and I'm finding myself going back to older games more and more. So I hear you...I have a whole bunch of new games from 2019 waiting to be either started or finished...but not a single one of them appeals to me.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about something...

As you may know, there's a full Shenmue III soundtrack out there, ripped from the trial version of the game (that, oddly enough, came with all the tracks in the files). It has 289 tracks, but all with generic titles.

A full soundtrack may never be released officially so, as with the previous games, if we fans want one, we have to do it ourselves.

This means that we would have to give each song a title according to where it is used in the game. It would take a lot of teamwork, but it's achievable.

So... do you think it's a good idea to create a thread so that together we can try to do it (in the spoiler forum, of course)? Or it's not a very good thing to do because it's in the gray zone that can be considered "piracy"?

I need your opinions. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I was just arguing with some guy on Reddit who thinks Shenmue needs to be developed by RGG so it's more like Yakuza. Fuck that. There are a zillion Yakuzas and three Shenmue games. For better or worse, I prefer Shenmue to maintain its own identity.

I see that argument come up so many times in the facebook groups.

It's either: "They should have developed it with the Yakuza engine" -- since Sega had no interest in giving them much support let alone the Dragon Engine -- that wasn't happening.

Or "they should look at Yakuza and take notes" -- Yes and No. In terms of game design, I would rather Shenmue be Shenmue and Yakuza be Yakuza. The only notes I would maybe want Shenmue to take from Yakuza is in the writing department (if I had to be 100% honest) but other than that, in game design? They are both they're own distinct things and I would rather they be their own things. Shenmue has its own distinct feel. As too does Yakuza. Let 'em both be their own thing.

It does get boring to hear that argument though

I've been thinking about something...

As you may know, there's a full Shenmue III soundtrack out there, ripped from the trial version of the game (that, oddly enough, came with all the tracks in the files). It has 289 tracks, but all with generic titles.

A full soundtrack may never be released officially so, as with the previous games, if we fans want one, we have to do it ourselves.

This means that we would have to give each song a title according to where it is used in the game. It would take a lot of teamwork, but it's achievable.

So... do you think it's a good idea to create a thread so that together we can try to do it (in the spoiler forum, of course)? Or it's not a very good thing to do because it's in the gray zone that can be considered "piracy"?

I need your opinions. :rolleyes:

The youtube most watched uploads will define the common names eventually.

Wulinshu wiki already began the work though: https://wulinshu.com/wiki/index.php/Music_Tracks_(SM3)

I see that argument come up so many times in the facebook groups.

It's either: "They should have developed it with the Yakuza engine" -- since Sega had no interest in giving them much support let alone the Dragon Engine -- that wasn't happening.

Or "they should look at Yakuza and take notes" -- Yes and No. In terms of game design, I would rather Shenmue be Shenmue and Yakuza be Yakuza. The only notes I would maybe want Shenmue to take from Yakuza is in the writing department (if I had to be 100% honest) but other than that, in game design? They are both they're own distinct things and I would rather they be their own things. Shenmue has its own distinct feel. As too does Yakuza. Let 'em both be their own thing.

It does get boring to hear that argument though
They think it's so simple for a studio to just pick up a new engine they've never worked with, too. What makes them think the Dragon Engine is any more capable of what Ys Net is trying to accomplish anyway? I think the scope of Shenmue's worlds far exceeds whatever the Dragon Engine is capable of as well considering how small Yakuza games really are.

They think it's so simple for a studio to just pick up a new engine they've never worked with, too. What makes them think the Dragon Engine is any more capable of what Ys Net is trying to accomplish anyway? I think the scope of Shenmue's worlds far exceeds whatever the Dragon Engine is capable of as well considering how small Yakuza games really are.

People claiming "they should've used the dragon engine !" as if it would've made a difference. The game textures, models and animations would still look the same. The difference is that as opposed to Unreal Engine, SEGA doesn't have a dedicated team for support. Epic Games has dedicated teams working on Unreal Engine 4 Support for questions and such. Because their job is to sell an engine.

Back