Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I hung out with my brother this weekend and played S3. He liked the realism of the first two games, as well as the gambling in S2.
He made two playful comments I now can't unsee:

-"Why are there no cops in Japan and China?"

-(Regarding the kung fu shop where you buy the fancy move) "Only in Shenmue could you walk into a martial arts shop, without doors, that has a bunch of axes and swords readily available on a table"

So too, both of us agreed Chobu-Chan killed Zhao Sunming. (Really, he thought the game was a nice throwback and is buying a copy.)
I really hope that if the series dies or ends properly, they do a "proper ending" with Chobu Chan being the evil mastermind behind all of this. The big fat one that unlocks upon three starring everything with every character in Battle Rally.

EDIT: Like Yu did the Mega64 ending.

Last edited:

Totally different game, but perhaps this explains why Shenmue 3’s dub is the way it is. I think it most definitely does, in fact.
Not to mention his left arm is up with a fist and right arm down but when the camera changes he's pointing with his right arm. I know games are getting more complex but we have more tools than ever to make it work.

I think it's time that if a Shenmue IV comes to pass, Suzuki should just focus on satisfying the older Shenmue fans. This is not to say that there aren't any younger fans who don't support the series or that they can't get into the franchise, but it's mainly people in their thirties and forties who are supporting Shenmue now.

The release of Shenmue III did not captivate younger audiences as much as older ones. Younger people weren't the ones spending thousands of dollars on the Shenmue III Kickstarter. Also nowadays younger people tend to gravitate towards Ryu Ga Gotoku and see Shenmue as either inferior or archaic. (Though this isn't helped by the turbulent circumstances Shenmue has had to endure.)

Shenmue also for better or worse, is now a niche franchise, that doesn't make the same amount of money that it originally did in 1999. Take Shenmue I & II HD for example, it only sold moderately well after the E3 2015 hype. Then we're told that Shenmue III sold "fine" but with the added caveat that it wasn't a big seller.

I have a feeling that at this point, the older fans are going to be the only ones who are going to support this franchise. If they turn away, then we will be right back to where we were prior to 2015. Only this time, another miracle won't happen.

Last edited:
Umm...I felt quite a large amount of stress while trying to catch chickens on the hardest difficulty. I got so mad I threw my controller and damaged my highly expensive TV.

Monaco Anime Game International Conferences
13 mins ·
Meet Cedric Biscay tomorrow Thursday, March 26th at 16 pm for a FB live in lockdown mode
1f609.png
;)
You can ask your questions now about MAGIC, Shibuya Productions, Shenmue, Blitz, and anything that goes through your head in response to this post or in private message on the page.
You will also be able to ask your questions live and interact with him if the technique wants it!
This is an unexpected live and so absolutely not prepared, see it as an cool cool exchange. #restezchezvous

Maybe better if you're French, but worth a look? Anyone up for taking some questions?

Last edited:

if you click on the picture, you can read a bit more

I also tend to disagree with Suzuki here. Is Shenmue 3 from a playability perspective that much easier than prior two games? I mean it deviates from modern gaming conversions having waypoints, large maps, instant travel (at least in Niaowu). You could argue having difficulty settings helps new players but fundamentally outside decreased difficulty in combat, the design is still relatively archaic.

Not that I’m complaining but I fail to see how usability was really enhanced with Shenmue 3. In addition I found some of the rare puzzles a lot more opaque that previous games. Think about having to rotate the centrepiece in Bailu tower to get it to unlock, or guessing every correct animal when determining Ge’s martial arts ability. With the former puzzle, if it was in a modern game ala an Uncharted for example, if the player repeatedly failed the accompanying character would provide a hint and assistance. Shenmue 3 didn’t offer anything like this, so I’m interested what context he’s speaking about.

I think it’ll just be a new post on this Facebook page when it’s live.

It kind of bothers me that the slut at the boat's front desk never hangs up the phone properly. What if someone calls? Is she too lazy to pick up the phone?

It kind of bothers me that the slut at the boat's front desk never hangs up the phone properly. What if someone calls? Is she too lazy to pick up the phone?
Tactically ignoring while looking like she's at work. Good acting if you ask me lol

Fat shaming, creepy guys collecting toys for their "little sister", a token exchange guy with an Adolf Hitler style moustache and Ryo asking around for a little boy with big round eyes and skin as pink as peaches? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seems like Yu is just way too old to even understand the notion of political correctness or they just don't give a fuck in Japan. Maybe both.

:LOL:

Love the Japanese quirkiness and the "zero fucks given" attitude displayed by YSNet with those sidequests.

This was greatness! A conciliatory way to end S3. I just finished the dlc an hour or two ago and I still have a huge grin on my face. Thank Yu for bringing a little bit of joy into my life during these tough times.

This was the best part of S3, story-wise, along with the more meaningful Shenhua conversations by the fireplace.

Way to end S3 on a high note. With the last dlc behind us now, let's help that old man get S4 made! :D

Before S4, I want a Shenmue 3 “Director’s Cut”. Though, I know it will never happen. The team doesn’t have the resources to do that and work on a sequel.

Before S4, I want a Shenmue 3 “Director’s Cut”. Though, I know it will never happen. The team doesn’t have the resources to do that and work on a sequel.
I'd second that. Would be awesome to see but as you say probably not possible.

Part of me has always wondered what makes the Shenmue series so popular in European countries. It was received well in the west, and did okay in its native homeland. However if were being honest, most of the sales for Shenmue come from Europe. Not that I am complaining, just a curious observation.

Part of me has always wondered what makes the Shenmue series so popular in European countries. It was received well in the west, and did okay in its native homeland. However if were being honest, most of the sales for Shenmue come from Europe. Not that I am complaining, just a curious observation.

hashtag cultured

Especially the UK. Like half the board is from the UK, and I'm pretty sure there was an infograph showing how massively over-represented UK donations were during the KS were relative to their population.

Back