Random Shenmue III Thoughts

The lack of story/character development is a difficult thing to qualify since it's hard to say how to do it better, in what areas etc. since we don't know where the story is ultimately going.

I liked the Shenhua conversations but I also feel like they could have done more to flesh her out and allude to things to come. Although I can't really say what I'd do better.

For me it really comes down to the question why does Shenmue need to be so long? Why does it need 5 installments to tell its story. Shenmue 3 didn't set up enough or fill enough gaps in the large threads that were already developed (as seen on numerous story threads) to make it seem like this story is very big. While there are a lot of unanswered questions the importance of them feels understated compared to the minutia of the game. I think this adds a subtle undercurrent to how we're all feeling but are not able to articulate that Shenmue 3 didn't have "enough" story in it.

It really comes down to what is important. A lot of people say S3 really felt like a Shenmue game, and in some sense it did. But for me Shenmue is about exploring these story and character moments like Shenhua's past, the Shenmue tree etc.

I would like to see these things grow and expand more in the next installment.

Am I the only one who constantly take the wrong door to sleep in Shenhua's house? Deep old habit from Shenmue 2 I guess. 🤦‍♂️

Am I the only one who constantly take the wrong door to sleep in Shenhua's house? Deep old habit from Shenmue 2 I guess. 🤦‍♂️
Why did they have to add a second room that clearly didn't exist before they went into the Cave and dropped acid?

Maybe people thought it was scandalous for them to sleep in the same room?

I think this adds a subtle undercurrent to how we're all feeling but are not able to articulate that Shenmue 3 didn't have "enough" story in it.
For me it was articulated best by saying that S3 is all about finding the next objective and never making those objectives interesting. It's what gives the pacing (and thus the story) the feeling of busywork that doesn't really mean anything. The biggest thing that happens in Bailu, for instance, is when you have to do the bell tower puzzle and what does that result in? A map that tells you to go to Niaowu (which you already knew was your next destination) and shows some treasure that's hidden away (which you already knew about). S3 has this problem with nearly every major story beat.

It's only been a month since my last playthrough but I really want to go through the game again. I love being a part of the world, just walking around and taking in the sights and the ambiance.

Same, it rained in the evening close to 9 when going to Shenhuas house and in the morning the way down... the mud... The lighting... :D

I do think the distance from Shenhua's house to the village was a little extreme.

Her house was so far away.. like she was a village outcast or was quarantined or something.

Maybe it will be built into the story (her house "protecting" the quarry or whatever) but I sorta felt bad for Shenhua and her father being forced to live in relative isolation compared to the greater Baliu community.

You do remember in II when she explicitly says, "My house is on the very edge of the village," right?
I know..... but why? Anyway I always assumed that the path to Bailu village was between Shenhuas house and the quarry. I was surprised to learn in 3 that Ryo and Shenhua effectively passed Bailu on their way to Shenhuas house.

^same
Always expected the village to be up-left, from the house,
with a path, in the line of the shenmue tree and the house.
(On the other hand, if it did, Shenhua would have little reason to ne on the opposite bank,
when running after the little deer.)

I think this vision translate a more secluded expectation about guilin.
(And, the imagery is still nice to imagine, even with the great real village revealed.)

I know..... but why? Anyway I always assumed that the path to Bailu village was between Shenhuas house and the quarry. I was surprised to learn in 3 that Ryo and Shenhua effectively passed Bailu on their way to Shenhuas house.

The bizarre location of Shenhua's house raised questions and theories among the community long time ago before Shenmue 3. I imagined that Shenmue 3 was going to show us that Shenhua was kind of a pariah because she biologically never grows up and is always young.
But wouldn't simply because her father wanted to stay closer to his working place? I thought Shenhua gave an explanation in S3 but I'm no longer sure.

Back