Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I remember I read a Yu Suzuki interview a couple of years ago he was saying that his initial plan for the saga was going beyond the Ryo's journey. He was evocating a whole game (Shenmue VI???) dedicated to Ryo's return to normal life in Japan, something like that. Does anyone remembering that interview by any chance? I am pretty sure I read it in some Dojo pages... wherabout else? ๐Ÿ˜…

With all this talk of Unreal Engine 5 on next generation machines and dreams of how a prospective Shenmue 4 may look, one thing I hope is implemented is quality HDR lightening.

Iโ€™ve been playing a lot of Gran Turismo Sport lately and although different genre, itโ€™s HDR lightening is absolutely phenomenal. I can only dream of Shenmueโ€™s magic weather but with the quality of lighting and materials seen in that game.

I remember I read a Yu Suzuki interview a couple of years ago he was saying that his initial plan for the saga was going beyond the Ryo's journey. He was evocating a whole game (Shenmue VI???) dedicated to Ryo's return to normal life in Japan, something like that. Does anyone remembering that interview by any chance? I am pretty sure I read it in some Dojo pages... wherabout else? ๐Ÿ˜…

I remember something like that but it's a bit vague.
I really hope that we will got the final chapter in Japan, even if it will be only a "slice of life" about Ryo.

I remember something like that but it's a bit vague.
I really hope that we will got the final chapter in Japan, even if it will be only a "slice of life" about Ryo.
That would be great; also in Shenmue 3 during one of Ryo and Shenhua's conversations, she tells him that she would like visit japan someday in the future. It would be really nice if that were to happen.

I don't remember anything like that, but I would love to read it. I do remember Shin Ishikawa (I think) saying that the saga would not end with Ryo returning to Japan.

I've recently watched this vรญdeo on the Pixn'Love's Shenmue 3 Artbook and saw that some of the Npc's that are Sketched in it aren't present in the game. I wonder if they ended up just being simply discarded from the game or were they created with Shenmue 4 already in mind !?

Shenmue 4 Npc's 1.jpg
1 - Are the Npc's on the left side the original Bailu Village Gatekeepers or could they be Guards of Shenmue 4's Cliff Temple or some other ancient Chinese location !?

2 - All of the Npc's in this page seem to be wearing a more traditional Chinese style outfit; there is even one that seems to be carrying a backpack similar to that of a mountain climber !? Can someone translate the Kanji characters in the picture !?
This Npc seems to better fit the scenario of a mountainous region, like Shenmue 4's Cliff Temple รกrea.
This could also indicate that Shenmue 4 could also take place in a more ancient and isolated area than the previous titles.

Shenmue 4 Npc's 4.jpg
These other two characters also seem to fit a more ancient style scenario due to the outfits that they are wearing.
The one on the left resembles a Chinese noble or a high ranked Imperial official; he also has the look of a villain.
Could he be another Chiyou Men Leader !?
The one on the right looks more like a Martial Arts master; he also has the look of a bad guy.

What do you guys think !?

I assume they have been some filler swaps due to the time constrains. The random characters fishing at the edge of the river in Bailu are likely the first NPCs that YSnet ever designed to begin with.

Makes you wonder if they shouldn't go in the more artistic/anime direction graphic wise.
However, I love three. If they can improve from there I think we are good ๐Ÿ˜Š

Makes you wonder if they shouldn't go in the more artistic/anime direction graphic wise.
I think it'd help to either go for reality or cartoony. Cartoony likely requires much less precision or reliance on cutting edge graphics. Mixing the two doesn't tend to work.

They should go all-in on the anime style for the rest of the series.
I love the art style of Shenmue 3; but at the same time it kind of felt like a mixed bag of anime, realistic and shrek like npc's.
But despite of all that the only npc's that I didnt't like in the entire game were Lin's father, Zhou the stonemason and the skiny thug of the red snakes.
I also think that the anime style is more apropriate to the kind budget that we might get for Shenmue 4 and at the same time I believe it can attract a newer and wider audience both in the short and the long run of the series.

I think this would be nice. Landscapes like in 3 or a bit better and NPCs more on the anime/cartoon side, but on the level of the best looking ones of 3 or better in terms of details and animation. The photorealism of characters would therefore be toned back a bit in general.
Or you could make the distinction of known and key characters to be as realistic as possible, still with an anime touch similar to 3, but the rest of the for Ryo strange new world/characters he hasn't seen before would all have a bit exaggerated features to illustrate Ryos point of view on the new encounters. :-)

Lin's father, skinny thugh and some plastic ones like the first lady which takes your bag in Niaowu must have been among the worst ones for me.

1592440639263.png

1592440726033.png

This is interesting. We know from a recent interview that the boat chapter was close to completion, yet was cut from Shenmue 3 for whatever reason. I'm guessing the captain was supposed to play an important role in this chapter and Chai snuck on the boat in disguise as someone who works on the ship?

View attachment 8096

View attachment 8097

This is interesting. We know from a recent interview that the boat chapter was close to completion, yet was cut from Shenmue 3 for whatever reason. I'm guessing the captain was supposed to play an important role in this chapter and Chai snuck on the boat in disguise as someone who works on the ship?
Aw man I would have loved that lol

View attachment 8096

View attachment 8097

How many times does Yu have to cut the boat chapter...? :ROFLMAO: :crying: I really would have loved this. If it was so close to finish, why not this as DLC instead of Big Merry Cruise?
It looks like they seriously needed more time for the missing parts and further polish. Probably too much time had to be spent recruiting staff, understanding unreal and setting up that Shenmue smell from scratch.

View attachment 8096

View attachment 8097

Just imagine our reaction if Chai didn't appear in Bailu Village and instead he shows up in the boat disguised like a mechanic. He could have even kidnapped the fat kid because he had been snooping around the boat and had annoyed the crap out of Chai so much that made him give the kid a ton of sweets and fast food just to keep is mouth shut. :ROFLMAO:

Back