Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Point still being that if a game didn't sell and critical reception was also not great, there's no point in discussing "digital only". This franchise has way bigger problems to overcome.

if you don’t deem it worthy of discussion that’s fine, you don’t have to engage. If others want to have a conversation about it, it’s perfectly reasonable though. Weird post tbh.

I hope Shenmue 4 isn't cut short like Shenmue 3. The fortified castle area could've been cut from the game. Something tells me that this may be by design from Yu Suzuki.

I really hope so.

If Shenmue IV happens, (I think it will) we will know about it way down the line, as the game dev is not funded by fans this time.
It won't be a kickstarter, I think.

Considering how popular the Shenmue brand still is among SEGA fans, I wish they would just step forward in help finance and develop the 4rth game.
I mean. 25 millions SEGA?
Is that much to ask?
:ROFLMAO:

Yes.

That's a lot of money, even in today's day and age.
I think that letter stating he's found partners along the way says it all. They may not need SEGA at this point, other than for the rights. Why SEGA had to stop them from using what was already used in 1&2 on the other hand kills me. There is no current Virtua Fighter. The older Virtua Fighter was made by the same person who'd use the work. Any Sonic and such capsule toys would just be free SEGA promotion. None of which I care about. Just the fighting system. I hate platformers, and by the time better 3d games came out just arcade fighters stopped being huge for me. The sad part is, for me, Shenmue was what a game should be since I've played it. It was very flawed even then, don't misunderstand. It's just that games should be more than just arcade quick reactions types. Gothic on PC was another example, though likely they took much, very much from Shenmue, so did many others later.

I've been to this site without posting on it for years praying and hoping there'd be a Shenmue 3. Flawed as it was in 2019, it'd be a dream in 2003 being exactly like it was. People don't think that way. I hope he does just 1 more, puts his best ideas into it, and realizes it really is his last chance, and our last chance. But SEGA won't give him any money, there I agree with you.

if you don’t deem it worthy of discussion that’s fine, you don’t have to engage. If others want to have a conversation about it, it’s perfectly reasonable though. Weird post tbh.
Just my opinion. Look at what started over people complaining their preorders came later than the digital version. Physical costs not just to make, it must be shipped, stores much be paid for the shelf space. Games like this at least can escape expenses like that. Sony ate them for PS4 versions if I'm right, but they should have just gone digital too. Think of the extra money that might have been used to hire extra people to make the thing itself better in the same amount of time... Even if it's hundreds of thousands which I highly doubt. This dumb talk of it ending up in bargain bins. every bit that sold digitally wouldn't depend on different stores. I'd say physical toys they could have just had a plain webpage with paypal for. I hope they go all digital for the 4th, and then maybe fancy boxes like PC games used to gave with a jewel case inside for extra if people so wanted them for their shelves.

Just my opinion. Look at what started over people complaining their preorders came later than the digital version. Physical costs not just to make, it must be shipped, stores much be paid for the shelf space. Games like this at least can escape expenses like that. Sony ate them for PS4 versions if I'm right, but they should have just gone digital too. Think of the extra money that might have been used to hire extra people to make the thing itself better in the same amount of time... Even if it's hundreds of thousands which I highly doubt. This dumb talk of it ending up in bargain bins. every bit that sold digitally wouldn't depend on different stores. I'd say physical toys they could have just had a plain webpage with paypal for. I hope they go all digital for the 4th, and then maybe fancy boxes like PC games used to gave with a jewel case inside for extra if people so wanted them for their shelves.

I don’t disagree with anything that you’ve said here. I mean, it would be nice to have a couple of special editions, like a Pix n Love version, but if the game was to go fully digital, I would be ok with that.

IMO we should hear a announcement of Shenmue 4 around E3 2021. It wouldn't make sense to prolong it. Yu Suzuki is up there in age(62). We need to pump this series out sooner rather than later. Especially if Yu wants to do a Shenmue 6.

In my opinion they should finish Shenmue with Shenmue 5.
Shenmue 1-3 told 40 percent of the story. So each new game can tell 30 percent and Shenmue's storyline will be finished with S5.

In my opinion they should finish Shenmue with Shenmue 5.
Shenmue 1-3 told 40 percent of the story. So each new game can tell 30 percent and Shenmue's storyline will be finished with S5.

Asking one game to tell nearly as much as 3 games sounds a lot. Even though... 3 didn't say much. It's hard to envision 2 games wrapping up everything in a decent manner, unless they're both like Shenmue II. It's not to say that III also missed an opportunity to make it easier to wrap up the story in two more games in a satisfying way.

Yes.

That's a lot of money, even in today's day and age.

If they can throw $25 million at a cancelled Shenmue Online, then you'd think they could throw the same amount at a game in the main series that would see release and some return.

That said - and as someone else rightly pointed out - we don't really need Sega now anyway.

It's been stated a few times over the years by suzuki and cedric. Ill find some sources for you in the morning as its easy to miss.

Shenmue 4 will most certainly happen. Shenmue 5? Who knows. Personally i think by the end of the ps5 era, the shenmue series will finally be finished.

It's been stated a few times over the years by suzuki and cedric. Ill find some sources for you in the morning as its easy to miss.

Shenmue 4 will most certainly happen. Shenmue 5? Who knows. Personally i think by the end of the ps5 era, the shenmue series will finally be finished.

I’ve vaguely recall similar quotes from Suzuki, I just wondered if there was something more recent or you were referring to some insider information.

I love your optimism and I hope you are right.

After they finish Shenmue, they can use unused ideas of it to make another martial artist journey franchise.

I wonder if Yu will use UE4 or UE5 for development of Shenmue 4. UE5 does not release till late 2021. Maybe thats why we haven't heard of a announcement regarding Shenmue 4.🤔

I’ve vaguely recall similar quotes from Suzuki, I just wondered if there was something more recent or you were referring to some insider information.

I love your optimism and I hope you are right.

Thanks and sorry for not following up. It completely slipped my mind. In terms of something more recent, Cedric said Shenmue 5 would be the last game back in march 2020. I think this is the stream where you can find more info

https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...ng-questions-live-on-facebook-right-now.2902/

Yu Suzuki said something similar back in 2015 in a reddit AMA
https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/20/8818097/shenmue-3-story-11-chapters-kickstarter-yu-suzuki

I don't think we will hear anything about a potential Shenmue 4 until at least 2021 because S3 still needs to release on STEAM later this year.

Back