Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Just checking in to say that if Eiyuden Chronicle, a spiritual successor to Suikoden, can amass $2.5 million in funding in only a few days on Kickstarter, simply as a new throwback to a series who saw it's own last release in *2005*...

I think the audience is still there for a Shenmue IV, even if it doesn't go crowd funding again. We see again that nostalgia is a *very* powerful motivating factor.

Shenmue 4 has the potential to be one of the highlights of the series imo.
They got a lot figured our/built from scratch with 3, also in a kind of soft reboot way. Now they can improve from there and incorporate feedback. With potentially 5 games the story has to be going quite a bit. And with locations like the cliff temple, potentially Baisha and more I'm already excited. I bet the narrow passageways exploration comment from Yu is related to the cliff temple.

Just checking in to say that if Eiyuden Chronicle, a spiritual successor to Suikoden, can amass $2.5 million in funding in only a few days on Kickstarter, simply as a new throwback to a series who saw it's own last release in *2005*...

I think the audience is still there for a Shenmue IV, even if it doesn't go crowd funding again. We see again that nostalgia is a *very* powerful motivating factor.

It's hard to bank on nostalgia when the latest release was 1 year ago and wasn't too hot.

I dunno. Shenmue 3 had some special nostalgic moments for me. Most of it was just getting back to that unique atmosphere that Shenmue provides.

Sorry, I failed to explain myself. What I meant is that Shenmue 3 being released fairly recently, it's hard to get a nostalgia feeling for a game that released not that long ago. What you had for Shenmue 3 was nostalgia for previous titles since between Shenmue II and III, 19 years passed. But for Shenmue 3 to 4 ? It might be 3 years, 4 at most. Even less if there's a kickstarter announcement. People won't get on board for a kickstarter filled with nostalgia for Shenmue 3.

Sorry, I failed to explain myself. What I meant is that Shenmue 3 being released fairly recently, it's hard to get a nostalgia feeling for a game that released not that long ago. What you had for Shenmue 3 was nostalgia for previous titles since between Shenmue II and III, 19 years passed. But for Shenmue 3 to 4 ? It might be 3 years, 4 at most. Even less if there's a kickstarter announcement. People won't get on board for a kickstarter filled with nostalgia for Shenmue 3.
Fair points there.

Shenmue III had the longest wait in terms of realising the dream so to speak and it showed in the kickstarter.

I'd be worried if 4 went to kickstarter (I dont think it will) for reasons we've discussed before.

I'd throw in a bit of money to a PayPal or something

I really hope we get the annoucement of Shenmue IV shortly after the release of Shenmue 3 on Steam. If we don't get any news a phew months after that; then I think its time for us to start putting pressure both on Ys Net and Sega until we get an answer. I'm certainly not going to wait years for another sequel.

Yeah, Yakuza ditched the english dub because of this that it is more popular in Japan.

And Shenmue can ditch the Japanese dub since it is more popular in west.
Disagree. Sure, the English dub is funny and nostalgic but the series will forever be a joke if we keep
the bad voice acting from the older games. The series needs to grow, evolve and improve. Just like how other gaming series have.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not sure what keeping the English dub as poor as it is does for the health of this series, unless you think Shenmue has absolutely no room for evolving past its roots. I really hate that we have to sacrifice quality of life to satisfy people’s need to relive a couple games they played 20 years ago. They can't recreate the past; best to let the team try to find a new way.

Agreed. Sure, the English dub is funny and nostalgic but the series will forever be a joke if we keep
the bad voice acting from the older games. The series needs to grow, evolve and improve. Just like how other gaming series have.

You're disagreeing then, since the poster you quoted want the English dub to remains and the Japanese one to be dropped.

You're disagreeing then, since the poster you quoted want the English dub to remains and the Japanese one to be dropped.
Ah, must’ve misinterpreted it. then I disagree with ditching the Japanese dub because it’s much better

The objects and the textures are incredibly detailed and beautiful in Shenmue III.
Imagine what they could do with ray tracing for Sh IV. Would be awesome.

About Sh III ending:

Is Baisha completely cut out of the story? I had hope for it to be part of Shemmue IV but because of the way Sh III ended it doesn't make sense. Or does it?

They can ditch the japanese dub but improve the english dub from the way it is.(Hiring a good localizer for it alongside making voice direction better.)

That is a much better choice than just removing the english dub since Shenmue is a more popular franchise on west compared to east.

They can ditch the japanese dub but improve the english dub from the way it is.(Hiring a good localizer for it alongside making voice direction better.)

That is a much better choice than just removing the english dub since Shenmue is a more popular franchise on west compared to east.

I’d rather just have them keep both and improve the English. It makes no sense for a game series that originates from japan to drop the Japanese voice acting. It’d be a bad move for the series there

I'm not very hopeful for IV considering what happened with III and just the current state of the world right now. The investment in Shenmue IV just seems so unlikely now, in my opinion.

And III's story was such a pale comparison to the first two that I almost don't even care.

Doom and gloom aside, I'd be stoked if I'm wrong and the game gets announced this year. I do think they have potential to actually make the improvements needed in each area. Some will be major (storytelling) and others more minor (better HUD) but it all seems very doable to me. But we'll see.

Even if 4 gets announced, I can't see it being this year. They've got the Steam and GOG releases first.

Summer 2021, at the earliest, for any news & this is based on nothing other than guessing.
I dunno, a S4 announcement would help to up the hype for the Steam/GOG releases. It'd give a better incentive for those that held off/wanted to double dip to jump in knowing a fourth game was coming.

I wish we had an idea of any sort of update of what Yu/YsNet is up to these past few months.

Their next project is in pre production phase. It's better to not tell the public what their project is because in pre production lots of projects get canceled.(Or their scope changes completely)

So, telling what their project is will just end up disappointing the fans.

Shenmue 4 has the potential to be one of the highlights of the series imo.
They got a lot figured our/built from scratch with 3, also in a kind of soft reboot way. Now they can improve from there and incorporate feedback. With potentially 5 games the story has to be going quite a bit. And with locations like the cliff temple, potentially Baisha and more I'm already excited. I bet the narrow passageways exploration comment from Yu is related to the cliff temple.
Exaclty my thoughts! And I have for a long time envisioned 5 games as the ideal.

Sh III was the rebirth of the series. Sh III took baby-steps back life while IV and V will have more potential to be the best games in the series. I really hope that they didn't cut out Baisha, I like that architecture. But we'll see.
I have absolutely no Idea how IV will look like but I am confident to say that it defenetly will be a better game than III.
My highest expectations has always been for the fourth game. It's like if the fourth fails there may not be any Sh V.

I hope that Yu get all support that he possibly can to create the best possible experience.
What I often think´ about is: ´what really made Shenmue I & II so special -to me?´ and.. what gave these games its ´magic´ and unique "feel" except its story and its fighting system.

This could be an entire thread by itself but I came to this conclusion to what made it ´magcial´ to me:
* It had a sense of place. It felt deep, like there was always something new around the corner to discover.
* The NPCs felt real, had their unique look, you could talk to them and every one of them was voiced.
* Every day felt different. And was different.
* The atmospheric music, the ambience, especially in Sh 1 was really good. It's like music without "being" music.
so that the music works like a simulation of a ´feeling´ without me thinking about it.
* The drawers, the fact that you can zoom in at things really close and also pick them up with your hand.
this made it feel like you were living in that world. Some people call Shemue a stupid life simulator but they don't get it.
Its what made it a more immersive experience. Well at least to detail-oriented person like myself.

.. I could add much more to the list but that's enough for now.

If Yu manage to preserve these things and more that gave us that experience but in a modern updated format. I think the fourth game could be the best of them all.

And graphiaclly. I think Yu is on the right track. Shenmue shouldn't look too realistic in its art style.
But Shenmue needs an art style for the characters that is consistent throughout the whole game.

The more vibrant colors togather with an unique art style can add more personality and expression to the whole experience.
Therefore I think that the art between cartoonish/manga and photorealism is ideal for Shenmue as long as it doesn't get into the uncanny valley. The models for Shenhua, Ren, and Lan Di in Sh III are fantastic in my opinion!
I was very impressed by how perfect the models for Lan Di and Ren was.

Also in it's menues, the frames around everything need its own ´character´.
In Sh III the menues felt a little, strange, and.. unfinished maybe? The title menue wasn't as good as in I & II either.
I hope they improve its looks and its functions.

Anyway. I can't wait to hear more from Yu about Sh IV!

I'm not very hopeful for IV considering what happened with III and just the current state of the world right now. The investment in Shenmue IV just seems so unlikely now, in my opinion.

And III's story was such a pale comparison to the first two that I almost don't even care.

Doom and gloom aside, I'd be stoked if I'm wrong and the game gets announced this year. I do think they have potential to actually make the improvements needed in each area. Some will be major (storytelling) and others more minor (better HUD) but it all seems very doable to me. But we'll see.

Yes. I have been thinking about this too. Sh IV will most likely be delayed - if the game will be made at all. You still see games getting released and the PS5 are on its way which looks promising. But the future is still very uncertain.

When I finished Sh III I thought to my self; ´maybe Yu cut a 3rd of Sh III to make a bigger and much better Sh IV´ but it's probably me dreaming again. But one thing is for sure, the potential for a much better 4th game are much higher which is exciting to think about!

Let's hope it's on its way without having too high expectations. (y) Whatever happens, happens.
We were actually lucky to get Shenmue II and even luckier to get a Shenmue III.
Shenmue II almost didn't happen, I think.

Back