Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

YS: Having said that, it will definitely grow better. As a creator, naturally there’s no way I could make my ideal game right at the very start. With Virtua Fighter, I created 1 which led to 2, and then on to 3. I couldn’t have suddenly produced Virtua Fighter 5 right off the bat. Shenmue III was also a new start, so of course if Shenmue IV comes to be, I think it will improve upon Shenmue III in lots of ways.

Also for those of us that have been expecting a quality jump similar from 1>2 with 3>4, hearing from the man himself is like music to my ears.

As a general rule you don't give consideration and actively seek out criticism on a project you have no intention of returning too so I think a lot of the wording in this interview has been carefully considered to "say nothing but tell everything" if you catch my drift.
Yes! That's such an excellent point.

I'm not expecting anything till the steam release. My dream scenario is he does another launch video like he did last November, and then busts out some concept art with a knowing wink to the audience that 4 is coming. Can only dream!
Well, I remember when Shen 1 came out in the U.S. there was this huge video on the second also no? I know now it helped that Shen 2 was being made first, or at the same time. I just hope so is Shen 4. He has a small window of opportunity IMO, it has to come out now for the same hardware. It's how he'd not have to waste remaking anything he relearned for Shen 3. Flawed as that one is. They need to improve on little things, but use the work already done to the full.

I really want Ryo to find Xiuyings brother in IV. Who is he and why did he leave? What is his personality like and what can Ryo learn from him? (Yu can't just skip this part. No way. I want to know.)

They could make an emotional scene where Xiuying reunite with her brother. If the scene is well made I think it can be a very memorable Shenmue-moment.

And besides that. I want to see Xiuying again because she's not only a well designed character but she's also very mysterious. Like she's hiding something. She could teach Ryo another move and sparr with him as well.

I also wanted to see Gui zhang again but.. he doesn't serve any purpose to the story any more. Same with Joy and Wong. Keeping the phone calls is a good way to compensate that. I hope Ren will be given more of a personality and some time to develop. He just showed up from nowhere in Niaowu with no explanation of how he got there of all places, and why.

I also hope for more ´romance´ between Shenhua and Ryo. It sounds kinda silly but you know what I mean..
When they arrive to the starting point of Sh IV, they need to take a break after that long walk. Sharing a bed could be a good start. That would be fun and akward. While Ren could sleep on the couch.
Ryo has already shared the same room with Xiuying so why not. He is ready now for step 2. He can't be a robot forever.
Or maybe that's a bit too much.. :unsure:

Jokes aside. There may be 1 or 2 games left to finish the series so therefore I expect significant development of the main characters.

Last thing. What about that mysterious scroll? A code written as a poem. But for what, is it a move? What move?
- I hope Yu gives us the answer in IV
I feel the same way about Xiuying and Ziming, i agree with you, i want to know more. The part with Xiuying and Ziming is one of my favorite parts of Shenmue II.

In my opinion Ziming will appear in Shenmue IV, and i have a feeling Xiuying will return at some point in the story. Will be really nice to see Xiuying again. Maybe she will fight Ziming, or maybe Ryo will fight him, i don't know but i think we will have closure about this, and i think this will be a emotional part of the story of Shenmue, maybe Ryo will learn a lot with this.

For me Shenmue is about Ryo's Journey, is about the people he meet and what he learns from them, Ryo will mature a lot in my opinion. I think that Shenmue IV will be a lot like Shenmue II in advancing more the story, and with more action.

In the last chapter card we can see Shenhua with Xiuying, i know a lot of things has changed but i have a feeling that we will see Xiuying again, and maybe she will encounter Ziming. :giggle:

Chaptercard.png

Last edited:
I feel the same way about Xiuying and Ziming, i agree with you, i want to know more. The part with Xiuying and Ziming is one of my favorite parts of Shenmue II.

In my opinion Ziming will appear in Shenmue IV, and i have a feeling Xiuying will return at some point in the story. Will be really nice to see Xiuying again. Maybe she will fight Ziming, or maybe Ryo will fight him, i don't know but i think we will have closure about this, and i think this will be a emotional part of the story of Shenmue, maybe Ryo will learn a lot with this.

For me Shenmue is about Ryo's Journey, is about the people he meet and what he learns from them, Ryo will mature a lot in my opinion. I think that Shenmue IV will be a lot like Shenmue II in advancing more the story, and with more action.

In the last chapter card we can see Shenhua with Xiuying, i know a lot of things has changed but i have a feeling that we will see Xiuying again, and maybe she will encounter Ziming. :giggle:

View attachment 8718
Well said and thanks for showing that card! How could I have missed that? That gives me some much hope now!
I'm super excited for Shenmue IV. I can't wait.

Well the people who wanted to experience Shenmue 3 already have. I dont see alot of people holding out for a Shenmue 3 steam release. I just worry about these all digital services especially if they don't have a way for you to enjoy the game if things go bellyup. We have already lost so great games due to digital only platforms.

What is Trump doing that might ban Epic Games?
He's thinking about China tensions. Epic games is a U.S. company, unlike say Apple, or HP they don't produce products in China using near slave labor. IMO the whole situation could not go on forever. The China-gate having to do with Epic and precious information about Joe Shmoe liking Halo number 627, or whatever becoming known to China was started by idiots dead set on Steam being the only thing you use for PC games. It was pathetic, devs made platforms before not to pay the % to Steam. Besides, maybe I'm just not so much into all games, which games are forever lost due to this? Very old games even you can still get, and the patches are made so they can run on modern PCs. If Epic is no more, watch Shen 3 mysteriously appear on Steam. If both are no more, those wanting it will still find it.

Besides, maybe I'm just not so much into all games, which games are forever lost due to this?
Most games removed from Steam seem to have been removed due to servers being taken down, newer versions being released or compatibility issues resulting from hardware developments (right now you don’t seem to be able to buy gta, gta 2 or gta San Andreas, for example).

Some of the Telltale games disappeared for a while too after the company went bust, although I’m pretty sure that most (if not all) are available again now.

To the best of my knowledge though, even if/when these games stop being sold on Steam, those who had already purchased them can still download and play them (unless the game’s server has been taken down which is something that affects physical games as much as digital).

Realistically I think the issue of ‘losing’ games only really arises in the event that the storefront itself goes bust, which seems to be a big factor in explaining why Stadia has failed to take off (well, that and their short games library). I don’t think this is something that we have to worry about when it comes to either Epic or Steam anytime soon given the vast amounts of money behind them.

Am I the only one that would be perfectly fine with a Shenmue IV released for PS4 + PC instead of for PS5? ..And that Shenmue V would be made for PS5 instead? Ofcourse I'd prefer both being made for PS5 (and/or other platforms) but according to some news/rumors the PS5 may not be easy to get at first because they haven't produced enough consoles. Most people will probably wait before buying one and under current circumstances people would wait even longer I think. Maybe it all depends on when Shenmue IV is announced/released. But making Sh IV for PS5 maybe would be too much. The expectations of a more modern and impressive ´look´ is something Sh IV couldn't live up to. But I don't know.

Am I the only one that would be perfectly fine with a Shenmue IV released for PS4 + PC instead of for PS5? ..And that Shenmue V would be made for PS5 instead? Ofcourse I'd prefer both being made for PS5 (and/or other platforms) but according to some news/rumors the PS5 may not be easy to get at first because they haven't produced enough consoles. Most people will probably wait before buying one and under current circumstances people would wait even longer I think. Maybe it all depends on when Shenmue IV is announced/released. But making Sh IV for PS5 maybe would be too much. The expectations of a more modern and impressive ´look´ is something Sh IV couldn't live up to. But I don't know.

IMO Shenmue 4 has to come out on PS5. Next generation consoles release this year and we don't even have a Shenmue 4 announcement. When Shenmue 4 is announced we'll still have to wait a minimum of 2-3 years for development maybe even longer. After Shenmue 3 released with the flaws it had Yu is gonna want to take his time before releasing Shenmue 4. 2-3 years from now next gen consoles will start doing price cuts and PS4/XBOX ONE will be obsolete.

IMO Shenmue 4 has to come out on PS5. Next generation consoles release this year and we don't even have a Shenmue 4 announcement. When Shenmue 4 is announced we'll still have to wait a minimum of 2-3 years for development maybe even longer. After Shenmue 3 released with the flaws it had Yu is gonna want to take his time before releasing Shenmue 4. 2-3 years from now next gen consoles will start doing price cuts and PS4/XBOX ONE will be obsolete.
Yes that makes sense. And as you said I also do think Yu really is going to take his time to make this game right.

The 4th game will be the next "Shenmue II" in terms of action and story. I can feel it and I can smell it!

^^

I've been saying that since last year ;)
Yes that makes sense. And as you said I also do think Yu really is going to take his time to make this game right.

The 4th game will be the next "Shenmue II" in terms of action and story. I can feel it and I can smell it!

Playing Shenmue III made me realize that Shenmue IV is the sequel I've been anticipating for 18 years. It feels like Suzuki marches to the beat of his own drum (which is ok) and I think that Shenmue III would have been just as slow paced had it come out on the DC like originally planned. I like more of the hustle and bustle, non stop action of Shenmue II more.

I’ve got to say that I am pretty sad Yu Suzuki’s reputation has taken a beating since the Kickstarter occurred. I truly believe everything he’s done, from the Epic Games Deal to the anime, has been done out of nothing but respect for the fans’ wishes to keep the series alive. I don’t believe he’s been after riches in all the years he’s struggled to keep this series alive. It’s a shame the negative outweighs the positive, but I believe he has the best of intentions in all he’s done. This guy already made a name for himself decades ago and could’ve probably had a high salary just consulting for various businesses.

Folks out there treat him like he’s some ruthless con man, but it’s obvious to me everything he’s done has been to keep an impossible dream survive... you don’t make it to your 60s and hustle like this for any other reason, especially for a series that obviously isn’t making anyone rich.

I’ve got to say that I am pretty sad Yu Suzuki’s reputation has taken a beating since the Kickstarter occurred. I truly believe everything he’s done, from the Epic Games Deal to the anime, has been done out of nothing but respect for the fans’ wishes to keep the series alive. I don’t believe he’s been after riches in all the years he’s struggled to keep this series alive. It’s a shame the negative outweighs the positive, but I believe he has the best of intentions in all he’s done. This guy already made a name for himself decades ago and could’ve probably had a high salary just consulting for various businesses.

Folks out there treat him like he’s some ruthless con man, but it’s obvious to me everything he’s done has been to keep an impossible dream survive... you don’t make it to your 60s and hustle like this for any other reason, especially for a series that obviously isn’t making anyone rich.

I wouldn't worry about it. Its only the drama, pitchfork weirdo gamers and/or journalists who think like that. They're the loudest unfortunately when it comes their nonsense. Gotta make edgy statements to get some likes and comments or to draw eyes on to them.

If any of you ever get the chance, go to several gaming conventions, you'll run into these people at some point. What you'll quickly realise is these people gotta bigger problems in their life than making provoking comments online

Last edited:

I'd breakdown the blame into three tiers.

Sega, carries the most for putting him to green pasture.

Modern AAA industry dishonest practices cultivating the Cynical crowd and shaping the uncultured taste of mainstream gamers.

The click-bait media. Integrity traded in for Hot takes and yellow journalism.

Back