Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

The emperor's temple perched on that mountain thingy would be pretty epic.

IV better get announced this year.
Check out this great video; they could easily replicate this with the assets of Shenmue 3 and it would look amazing.

0:20 Cliff Temple 🤩

0:53 QTE Staircase to the Temple 😫

1:21 Mysterious Martial Arts Master House 🤜

2:00 Shenmue IV Backer Plaques :ROFLMAO:

2:38 Shaolin Martial Arts School/Temple 💪

3:55 Chinese Village 🇨🇳

Last edited:
After listening to the Cedric interview, it's clear that Deep Silver won't be publishing Shenmue IV. Due to their lack of interest in fan funding, it's going to be more difficult than ever to secure the funding needed for the game. Right now we are in the same place we were in the early 2000's and 2010's, relying on Sega to do what's right.

Fortunately they have turned a new leaf as of late, but if begging Sega to make Shenmue IV is our last option, it's not one I'm happy about.
I think you're being a bit pessimistic, though. There's so much Shenmue news relevancy nowadays with cash grab merch and collections, plus an entire Anime by Adult Swim being made... We're in a great place. Also, eve if anime does not translate to more investment, Cedric has said for year we can make Shenmue on the assets already rebuilt during Unreal remaking process of Shenmue 3. Thanks to Deep Silver for allowing the deeper--damn near 1:1 engine rebuild--although definitely prefer someone else better if possible.

Not sure Shenmue has ever been better outlook since 1999

Last edited:
I also think the situation of Shenmue now cannot be compared to the situation in the early 2000s. Back then Shenmue was a failed series of a failed console company. Today Shenmue is a niche series that was brought back to live by the will of the fans alone. That matter alone gives the series a rather bright outlook. We even get a Anime series. Which means that some people with money think that Shenmue is worth to make it into an Anime. of course that is still not a guarantee that we get a 4 but the interest in the Series is much bigger than it was then. Back then nobody wanted Shenmue besides the fans. Now some people try at least to make the series more public with the Anime.

To clarify, the Cedric quote I refer was along lines of "50/50 chance even if Shenmue 3 bombs"

They can make Shenmue 4 for a pittance compared to Shenmue 1 or 2. They proved that with Shenmue 3. Maybe it isn't the greatest game in the known universe or the TRUEST SHENMUE EXPERIENCE EVER, but it proves Shenmue can be made on a budget and please most fans. I don't think they're in the same position they were in after Shenmue 2's release, at all, given that. Shenmue 3 was a pie in the sky dream because of what preceded it.

They can make Shenmue 4 for a pittance compared to Shenmue 1 or 2. They proved that with Shenmue 3. Maybe it isn't the greatest game in the known universe or the TRUEST SHENMUE EXPERIENCE EVER, but it proves Shenmue can be made on a budget and please most fans. I don't think they're in the same position they were in after Shenmue 2's release, at all, given that. Shenmue 3 was a pie in the sky dream because of what preceded it.
If they manage to have the same budget of Shenmue 3 for Shenmue 4 and reuse Shenmue 3's assets, characters, etc, and use the rest of the budget to improve facial expressions; fighting system / animations "include throw moves" and cinematic cutscenes and QTE'S; I believe they can create a Shenmue 4 with the similar scope and epicness of Shenmue 2.

They could do that, but by all accounts that’s not what they’re planning to do. Whether or not that’s their fallback plan remains to be seen, but I’d hope that they’re also pitching the idea of a lower budget Shenmue game to publishers rather than just going in and asking for 40 million (or whatever their idea of a ‘much bigger budget’ translates to).

I do worry that there’s a danger of them burning bridges by pushing for a AAA budget although one suspects that any publisher interested enough to let them through the door should be open to them returning with a lower demand somewhere down the line if a deal can’t be struck.

Hmm...there have been rumors of Shenmue IIIx being a thing, even if it was only alive as a teaser/trailer/pitch video itself. I think it was rumored to be announced at E3 2004? One of the Shenmue history books mentions this rumor, and I believe it comes from Trent at Shenmue Master if I am not mistaken.

After all, Shenmue is a victim of circumstances. We have never had a Shenmue game release and just utterly BOMB, as some would believe. It has had a difficult history, for sure, but not one filled with utter financial doom and gloom...SEGA was never going to be saved by a single game series, no matter how grand of scale it was. I fully believe the initial plan was to make money back using the same engine over several games, as they could have easily tweaked it to be a viable Xbox AAA title, which was probably the plan with III, and of course to keep going beyond.

Check out this great video; they could easily replicate this with the assets of Shenmue 3 and it would look amazing.

0:20 Cliff Temple 🤩

0:53 QTE Staircase to the Temple 😫

1:21 Mysterious Martial Arts Master House 🤜

2:00 Shenmue IV Backer Plaques :ROFLMAO:

2:38 Shaolin Martial Arts School/Temple 💪

3:55 Chinese Village 🇨🇳
This video is beautiful, thanks for sharing. I think a place like this have a big chance to appear in Shenmue IV. I imagined Ryo training with a Shaolin Monk in a place like this, this could be awesome.

I really think we will see something like this in Shenmue IV.

yu-training.jpg

image5225.png

Eagle Style. Yu's opponent's nails narrowly miss his eye. It was a moment that made our blood ran cold.
Yu crouched down, holding a hand to his face.

His opponent, looking aghast, immediately started to inspect Yu with an anxious expression.

Fortunately, the strike hadn't gone into Yu's eye so it wasn't serious, but a clear scratch was left at the outer corner of his eye.

I found this on Phantom River Stone blog. I can imagine Ryo in a hard training like this with a Shaolin monk master in Shenmue IV, this could be awesome.

Would love those buildings to show up in S4, as teased in the S3 KS backer video.

I have a week off and want to attempt a tiny game project. Considering some kind of Shenmue fan game, maybe a 2D version of the Hazuku residence to walk around, or recreating a mini-game :unsure:

In Shenmue IV Yu will reveal that actually he, himself, is Ryo Hazuki and has experienced everything Ryo has been experiencing throughout his journey. He's actually a master martial artist hiding behind a striped t-shirt and a smile sweeter than Jet Cola.

I was looking at the upcoming releases for this year for the PS5 and it quickly dawned on me I dont give a shit about any of them. I just want Shenmue IV and Virtua Fighter x Esports, whatever it is.
Pretty much. I can't get excited about the current gen 'cuz there's nothing unique or original out there. Ports and the typical early AAAs that might as well be on the last gen consoles... Sigh.

Definite awkward generation. PS4 was the most hyped since Dreamcast due to the build list getting good results for Shenmue and Yakuza. Favorite system since Dreamcast and 2nd behind Dreamcast for sure.

Just riding the same hype wave of Shenmue and Yakuza continuing. Most likely get a slimline PS5, per usual. PS4 Pro was very unlike me, but an isolated occurrence.

Same boat; typically, by now, they (have) announce(d) the next RGG/RGG Spinoff title, but not a peep yet, so until that gets announced, I'll (slowly) chip away at the backlog...

I'll be picking up a PS5 when Yakuza 7's PS5 version comes out. It's extremely unlike me not to get a Yakuza game on day 1, but when they said that save files wouldn't transfer from ps4 to ps5 I decided to wait.

The wait has been torturous.

PS5 doesn't have a whole lot out there to justify the price tag.

I was fortunate enough to secure one at launch and while I've really enjoyed it, it wasn't really needed.

Demon's Souls is great, as is Spidey. The BC doesn't have the super bells and whistles as the Xbox, but it definitely makes noticeable differences even on games that aren't optimized or have patches.

But nothing is really "gotta have one" when it gets down to it. It was just the "new thing" and capitalized on both the PS brand and Covid driving gaming through the roof due to lockdowns or social distancing guidelines.

Speaking of Covid, we are really not out of the woods on its impact. I'm sure numerous games will miss their original 2021 window also due to delays. But I'd rather that than end up with another Cyberpunk situation, which was just awful.

In addition, it has forever changed who we are as a society when it comes to dining, shopping and entertainment. The digital transition has been amplified over a hundred fold and ramifications will manifest themselves throughout this year in the theater industry, gaming industry and restaurans.

I am in a similar position. It is not here are no games that I am not looking forward to.

I have high hopes in Quantum Error and Re Village. But as far as can tell both games will be just decent. They do are not going to look and play like a Real next gen game . I am gonna to enjoy bot games for sure but there is no next gen hype.

Do not regret purchasing my PS5 though. It was time to send my ancient PS4 from 2013 into it's well deserved retirement.

I am happy with the PS5. But I feel no hype for the upcoming games.

I do not care about the next Horizon and God of War. I even considered the original games as overrated. Ratchet might be decent but I also cannot feel the appeal yet.

Project Athia might be potentially interesting but it still one year away. And we have not seen enough footage to really judge the game.

Same goes for Stray.

Last edited:
I don't regret my PS5 purchase, was worth it for the 4k blu ray drive and the performance gains for the PS4 library. Just the line up doesn't resonate with me at all at the moment. Feel the same as you 9dragons

Back