Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I'd totally get one if it were easy to get and I know I wouldn't regret it. Just sayin' I'm not too put out that it's impossible to get right now. I don't feel like I'm actually missing out on anything.

One of the big reasons i bought a PS5 was because i really think the Shenmue saga will end on PS5, i think the last game will be Shenmue V for PS5, well... i need to have hope that this will happen, i love Shenmue so much.

Other good reason for me is that i can play PS4 games on PS5 with better perfomance now, my PS4 is the fat 2013 version, i think it was the first version that was released, getting the PS5 was nice because of that too.

Some new games i'm excited to play like FFXVI, Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, the new Little Big Planet looks nice and fun.

I buy Playstation consoles since the beginning with PS1 when i was little, it is really special for me. Playstation is a part of my life for so long that everytime Sony release a new console i want to see what is like, i don't regret it buying the console, i'm enjoying my time with PS5.

I really have hope that Shenmue IV will be announced for PS5 this year.

After listening to the Cedric interview, it's clear that Deep Silver won't be publishing Shenmue IV. Due to their lack of interest in fan funding, it's going to be more difficult than ever to secure the funding needed for the game. Right now we are in the same place we were in the early 2000's and 2010's, relying on Sega to do what's right.

Fortunately they have turned a new leaf as of late, but if begging Sega to make Shenmue IV is our last option, it's not one I'm happy about.
How much could it cost to properly remake Shenmue 1 and 2 using Unreal or something? They already have the script, characters etc. and would just be doing a like for like copy. Problem with releasing Shenmue 3 20 years after is that you are only appealing to the fans. Do a proper relaunch and you should win a lot more.

How much could it cost to properly remake Shenmue 1 and 2 using Unreal or something? They already have the script, characters etc. and would just be doing a like for like copy. Problem with releasing Shenmue 3 20 years after is that you are only appealing to the fans. Do a proper relaunch and you should win a lot more.
Tens of millions. There are hundreds of NPC models that would need to be made, they’d need to re-record character voices, script all of the random events, recreate the cutscenes, meticulously play test it all, recreate the environments, recreate the combat system and a whole lot more. I’d love for them to do it, but they could wrap up the saga for that kind of money.

i think remaking the first two games would be a waste of time. I would much if sega or whoever, port all three games to the Nintendo switch. I don't know if you guys agree but ive always thought Shenmue would be a big hit on the switch + the nintendo fan base seem to be more open minded compared to Xbox or PlayStation fans.

Last edited:
i think remaking the first two games would be a waste of time. I would much if sega or whoever, port all three games to the Nintendo switch. I don't know if you guys agree but ive always thought Shenmue would be a big hit on the switch + the nintendo fan base seem to be more open minded compared to Xbox or PlayStation fans.
Yeah, I don't know why they don't just open this series up to more platforms (especially the Switch which has a rich catalogue of Japanese developed video games) if one of the biggest challenges affecting Shenmue is trying to find a wider audience of players. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

The Switch has the best viability to generate more interest in the series via ports of SI+II and Shenmue 3.

It has been consistently selling boatloads for some time now on the NPD charts.

I've been in the market considering a Switch(non-Lite) for my kids for a while, but I've yet to see one available for purchase in a store since before Christmas 2019, to be honest. The lockdowns of 2020/2021 creating a gaming boom for entertainment didn't help make it easier to find, for sure.

The only other option for exposure for the series are having SI+II be one of the free games on PS+ for a month, whilst having 3 be discounted at the same time. In addition, having them both available on PS Now or Game Pass are also likely helpers for it.

Maybe once a "Switch Pro" launches?

Maybe? I think Switch Pro is a pipe dream and we would've seen it by now, personally.

In addition, just have to know the hardware and they can make it work. The sheer fact that a developer got Witcher III to run on it at all is impressive enough. It's a nice little machine.

The Switch has the best viability to generate more interest in the series via ports of SI+II and Shenmue 3.
I am the biggest nintendo hater on the site (sorry @Truck_1_0_1_, you can beat me in Final Fight runs but not this) and even I would like to see these ports happen for that reason. As much as I hate to admit it, the sw*tch crowd seems more open to and interested in "retro" games + established Japanese IPs than the other console bases these days.

I really hope the rumors of the port are true and they're just taking their sweet time to announce it like they did with the Yakuza Remastered Collection on PC.

I don't know if it is feasible or not; but if a petition was made by the fans showing SEGA that we have interest in the Shenmue series being ported to the Switch; maybe it could become a reality. The biggest downside is that we don't know if Shenmue 3 is a permanent Playstation exclusive on the console market or if there is a way to make it available on other platforms.
Maybe some sort of Kickstarter project could make SEGA see that there is indeed a great interest by the fans of having the Shenmue series on the Nintendo platform; this would also show that there is still a great interest on the series and could potentially make it easier for Shenmue 4 to become a reality.

I don't know if it is feasible or not; but if a petition was made by the fans showing SEGA that we have interest in the Shenmue series being ported to the Switch; maybe it could become a reality. The biggest downside is that we don't know if Shenmue 3 is a permanent Playstation exclusive on the console market or if there is a way to make it available on other platforms.
Maybe some sort of Kickstarter project could make SEGA see that there is indeed a great interest by the fans of having the Shenmue series on the Nintendo platform; this would also show that there is still a great interest on the series and could potentially make it easier for Shenmue 4 to become a reality.
From what Cedric said to me about Shenmue III I'd be surprised to see it on any other console, certainly in the short term.

If there's a demand out there for the first 2 to go to Switch, which has been heavily rumoured (so much so in 2019 we had prepared announcement artwork for it) then go for it. The more eyes the better.

From what Cedric said to me about Shenmue III I'd be surprised to see it on any other console, certainly in the short term.

If there's a demand out there for the first 2 to go to Switch, which has been heavily rumoured (so much so in 2019 we had prepared announcement artwork for it) then go for it. The more eyes the better.

Fascinating revelation there. Did Sony really pay for permanent exclusivity? That's a bold move for a franchise if you were solely intending to just stop at III.

I would be very happy to back another kickstarter. I am currently enjoying Shenmue 3.
I can't see Shenmue 4 going the Kickstarter route again after what Cedric has said.
I would be all for a simple Paypal donation system instead though, where you can donate as much or as little as you want, but without any rewards sucking away at the funds like you get with Kickstarter. Just money purely for development costs and nothing else. As fantastic as the physical/digital rewards were for Shenmue 3, they used up a substantial amount of money that could have gone into additional development.

I can't see Shenmue 4 going the Kickstarter route again after what Cedric has said.
I would be all for a simple Paypal donation system instead though, where you can donate as much or as little as you want, but without any rewards sucking away at the funds like you get with Kickstarter. Just money purely for development costs and nothing else. As fantastic as the physical/digital rewards were for Shenmue 3, they used up a substantial amount of money that could have gone into additional development.
Perhaps not, but they have received my support for another kickstarter.

Perhaps not, but they have received my support for another kickstarter.
I'd back another Kickstarter for sure. Can't see it happening but who knows. Cedric has been quite open in saying they're not looking at crowd funding and Shenmue 4 is near on ready to pitch to publishers. So it seems they're trying to raise funds through more traditional methods this time, which is fair.

Back