Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I often wonder if I'll find out about Shenmue 4 being announced on here or on some other place like Twitter, first. Sometimes I just dip out from here for about a week but I always check twitter daily...But then would Shenmue 4 trend? It would, right? So many things to think about...

I often wonder if I'll find out about Shenmue 4 being announced on here or on some other place like Twitter, first. Sometimes I just dip out from here for about a week but I always check twitter daily...But then would Shenmue 4 trend? It would, right? So many things to think about...
a little while back, i put a request with the dojo mods, that if shenmue4 does get announced, we should all get a email alert. they agreed. so, we should be ok.

i personally don't want a repeat of the shenmue 3's announcement.. i found out many days later via a another gaming website 🤬...i know that's not terrible but when you have been waiting 14 years for news...

What does more accessible to newer fans look like for you guys?
Hm...

There are many inherent difficulties of making a direct sequel/fourth instalment to a niche series that began in 1999, in a way that is friendly to new users.

In terms of narrative; re-establish the characters, their motivations, and their place in the overall plot. Easier said than done when also not wanting to do retcons or beat older fans over the head with information they already know. Luckily Shenmue III's ending is a perfect jumping off point to do this, as the series status quo has shifted significantly. You can ease new players in while also prepping old fans for the developments to come.

Example: Ryo's father was murdered by Lan Di to take possession of the mirrors, Ryo travelled to China to confront Lan Di, but having failed to beat him and barely escaping with his life (old information for some), Ryo is having doubts about his ability and his quest for revenge (new information for all).

In terms of gameplay; I'm not a believer in the idea that making things hand-holdy will make the game more accessible for new players, and in fact it's more likely to turn older players off. There's being *user friendly*, and there's being braindead. Ultimately I think Shenmue's gameplay needs to be refounded in its core concepts of action, world, and story. The rigid progression of A to B needs to be done away with for something that lives up to the F.R.E.E moniker, that puts emphasis on Shenmue's best and most addictive parts. Players today want more freedom, not less.

Action: Combat that looks and feels good, well choreographed QTE fights and chase sequences in simple and complex forms*, RPG mechanics and training mini-games.

World: Picturesque landscapes, detailed environments with elements of verticality (vantage points, rooftops, stairs, terraced rice paddies), lively and populated streets filled with shops, amusements and mini-games, attention to detail and a real lived-in feel.

Story: Simple plot but complex characters with real development from start to finish, interesting and unique NPCs, upgraded and better integrated affinity system, good voice acting and localisation, exciting and dynamic cutscenes, and a self-contained story that feeds into the wider whole of the Shenmue saga.

All easier said than done, but I don't think anything could bring in new players more than refocussing and refounding the core concepts, and making an extremely well realised and polished version of the highlights of the Shenmue experience.

So with the Anime cancelled despite good viewership, does this mean no IV game?
No I don't think so I always saw the anime as a nice bonus for us fans and a way to bring in newer ones as well. IV can and still will happen most likely eventually. Hopefully the anime showed Sega that there's still a audience for this beloved franchise

Reactions: JP_
It's starting to feel like winter where I am and as always every year I'm starting to get that Shenmue feeling again.

I was thinking as much as I would absolutely love after all this time for Yu Suzuki to see his vision through by releasing 5 games being the incredible icon in the industry that he is he more than deserves to.

I'm starting to sway towards cramming everything in IV. Now there will undoubtedly be cut content for this to be achieved and after waiting these many years absolutely sucks badly but we would still get the majority of the major story beats and the saga will finally be able to conclude.

Hm...

There are many inherent difficulties of making a direct sequel/fourth instalment to a niche series that began in 1999, in a way that is friendly to new users.

In terms of narrative; re-establish the characters, their motivations, and their place in the overall plot. Easier said than done when also not wanting to do retcons or beat older fans over the head with information they already know. Luckily Shenmue III's ending is a perfect jumping off point to do this, as the series status quo has shifted significantly. You can ease new players in while also prepping old fans for the developments to come.

Example: Ryo's father was murdered by Lan Di to take possession of the mirrors, Ryo travelled to China to confront Lan Di, but having failed to beat him and barely escaping with his life (old information for some), Ryo is having doubts about his ability and his quest for revenge (new information for all).

In terms of gameplay; I'm not a believer in the idea that making things hand-holdy will make the game more accessible for new players, and in fact it's more likely to turn older players off. There's being *user friendly*, and there's being braindead. Ultimately I think Shenmue's gameplay needs to be refounded in its core concepts of action, world, and story. The rigid progression of A to B needs to be done away with for something that lives up to the F.R.E.E moniker, that puts emphasis on Shenmue's best and most addictive parts. Players today want more freedom, not less.

Action: Combat that looks and feels good, well choreographed QTE fights and chase sequences in simple and complex forms*, RPG mechanics and training mini-games.

World: Picturesque landscapes, detailed environments with elements of verticality (vantage points, rooftops, stairs, terraced rice paddies), lively and populated streets filled with shops, amusements and mini-games, attention to detail and a real lived-in feel.

Story: Simple plot but complex characters with real development from start to finish, interesting and unique NPCs, upgraded and better integrated affinity system, good voice acting and localisation, exciting and dynamic cutscenes, and a self-contained story that feeds into the wider whole of the Shenmue saga.

All easier said than done, but I don't think anything could bring in new players more than refocussing and refounding the core concepts, and making an extremely well realised and polished version of the highlights of the Shenmue experience.

Largely concur with everything you’ve said. Just to add, I think for me the most important aspect of the story that Shenmue 4 needs to execute right outside of progression, is reintroducing real stakes and consequences in the narrative. Shenmue 3 has seismic shift right at the end of the game but it happens too late with no real pay-off.

Last edited:
I think a nice holiday present would be something from someone hinting at the possibility of Shenmue IV being in production. The silence lately has been deflating. It's been 3 years since Shenmue 3's release and we really have nothing but hope at this point. If it is not happening at all yet, it would be nice to know that also. I understand not confirming something until they are ready, but I think the Shenmue fanbase could use something to keep the hope alive.

I think a nice holiday present would be something from someone hinting at the possibility of Shenmue IV being in production. The silence lately has been deflating. It's been 3 years since Shenmue 3's release and we really have nothing but hope at this point. If it is not happening at all yet, it would be nice to know that also. I understand not confirming something until they are ready, but I think the Shenmue fanbase could use something to keep the hope alive.
To sum up: Like has been said at the S4 & 110i thread, Im not expecting anything substantial until Wanted Dead release on February 14th or even later on summer when it performs a bit (similar to Air Twister).
But there's a chance of someone asking Yu again on xmastime which are the new year's goals? and maybe then he say some cryptic thing.

But Ryo learned gyaku tsuki already! And his technique skill is way better than of cokehead Silver's
Can it temporarily stop a person's breathing? And I say Ryo is going to need some coke to hype himself up to stand a chance against Lan Di, and who better than Terry to give it to him? Okay, maybe New Jack.

Can it temporarily stop a person's breathing? And I say Ryo is going to need some coke to hype himself up to stand a chance against Lan Di, and who better than Terry to give it to him? Okay, maybe New Jack.
XD I agree with the power drink but just see herbal tea more than the old Coke.
Gyaku tsuki its a direct punch in counter stance (not advancing or retreating) and while its basic technique with the correct execution it surely can stop a person's breathing or heartbeat if the guard its broken. In reality is not the technique the culprit of the "breath stopping" but the body point recieving the hit.
The thing, and thats the most scary part, is the easy that is to get several damage ourselves or to others. And that's not counting the fall to ground if ko. I'm kataboi in part because that.
New Jack from Tekken you mean? XD

I really wish Yu would be a little more communicative with his fans. The fact that 3 years after Shenmue 3’s release, his new year’s resolutions are the only shred of hope of a hint of Shenmue’s status is crazy. I get he can’t just announce it if it is in production but he could certainly give his fans something. We have been through a lot and the silence for the past few years is just piling on. We are already a small fan base and the lack of any information isn’t helping to grow it or to help us keep the faith.

Back