Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I'm inclined to agree with 2023.

It sounds far away but 2015 - 2020 went in a second

We'll get there soon enough
200.gif

This is probably me being a deluded Shenmue fan but I've been thinking recently about Shenmue 4. Maybe Shenmue 4 will be the game we always wanted. We have no news on the outcome of Shenmue 3 but we recently got announcements of a Shenmue 3 definitive soundtrack and a anime. The Steam release of Shenmue 3 is also right around the corner. Everything is lining up for a Shenmue 4 announcement E3 2021.

Is it just me or is the "if I get a chance" answer to whether or not Shenmue 4 is coming significantly more vague than "we are looking for a publisher"? I can't see why they wouldn't say the latter if it were true as it's a calling card for other publishers to get involved.

From that wording I'm guessing that it could be in one of three stages right now:

1) They want Deep Silver involved but they are waiting for the greenlight. You've got to imagine DS have first refusal. Perhaps they want the steam sales figures for 6 months before deciding
2) It's being negotiated with DS or someone else
3) It's already confirmed behind the scenes, but they are waiting to announce the game, maybe after S3's steam release.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the "if I get a chance" answer to whether or not Shenmue 4 is coming significantly more vague than "we are looking for a publisher"? I can't see why they wouldn't say the latter if it were true as it's a calling card for other publishers to get involved.

From that wording I'm guessing that it could be in one of three stages right now:

1) They want Deep Silver involved but they are waiting for the greenlight. You've got to imagine DS have first refusal. Perhaps they want the steam sales figures for 6 months before deciding
2) It's being negotiated with DS or someone else
3) It's already confirmed behind the scenes, but they are waiting to announce the game, maybe after S3's steam release.
Could be YS is being deliberately cagey as he might not want to work with Deep Silver again.

Deep Silver did a poor job IMO. The fact they were sending and using 2017 assets in marketing in 2019, the whole epic deal which saw the vitriol placed at YsNet's door and not theirs, and the fact that now we're seeing Vinyl releases by Limited Run with much higher quality artwork and care done by a tiny independent company speaks volumes to me. I can't believe they didn't bother to translate and upload the pre-release introduction videos that YS did for the Japanese market. Talk about missing an own goal.

You would think they would knock out a tweet or two stating that Shenmue III now runs at 60fps on PS5 but that's evidently too much effort

The complete lack of marketing for the steam release makes me think they have washed their hands of it. A shame. I mean, i'm glad they went to the effort of making a nice special edition and injecting cash into the game, but the flaws in marketing and communication are really unforgivable IMO.

Of course, if DS turn around and are co-producing / publishing IV i'd certainly not say no, I just can't see that happening.. Koch Media have done a better job here in the UK, but they've been quiet for a while now as well.

Hopefully this time next year, we'll have more info to go by. At least we have the Anime and the Vinyl, and of course, Shenmue World! So it's something, it's a far cry from the 2003 dark ages.

Then again, having said all that, Darksiders 3 got a spin off and that was a game given away free with PS+ a mere 9 months after it's original release.

I just don't know what to make of it all really. Only time will tell

So, with the Steam release now out the way...when do we think we might hear an announcement?

If it's Ryo in Smash that'd be out of left field and a HUGE win for fans.

Of course, people would complain. He could work, but I feel he'd fit best in Tekken.

EDIT: *OR* he's a new guest character for SOR4?

Back