Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Regarding these alleged Shenmue IV leaks from the other day.

We can now confirm that they are 100% fake and that the creator of them was a member here on these forums. On top of this, we also have evidence that they intended to spread the leaks here themselves using an alt account.

After a lot of discussion within the team, combined with the fact that this isn't the first time they have attempted to troll people here, we have made the decision to permanently ban said member. This isn't a decision we made lightly by any means, but we want to make it clear that any attempts to maliciously misinform the community will not be tolerated.

Thanks!

Well dang you guys, seems a little harsh. Are we certain he did it for malicious reasons and not just because he loves the series and simply felt we were all bored from the lack of news? Fake leaks are fun here and there imo. But w/e, it's not my site, so I suppose it's not my place to say.

Well dang you guys, seems a little harsh. Are we certain he did it for malicious reasons and not just because he loves the series and simply felt we were all bored from the lack of news? Fake leaks are fun here and there imo. But w/e, it's not my site, so I suppose it's not my place to say.
I feel I should come in at this point.

A fake leak here or there is fun and we all ride the waves of that. In this instance the user has set up 3 Alt accounts, which were shut down and monitored and evidence showed that they were the account on YT that made the leak.

It's one thing making a fun "leak" and having a laugh and a chat around it. It's another where this was set-up to deceive the community, especially from a member here.

If things crop up that prove this decision was a mistake then I'll hold my hands up on it. The decision was discussed at length with the staff and the action taken felt appropriate with the intention of the accounts.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me privately then my door is open.

Hi, I'd be happy to discuss any concerns you have further in DMs if you like.

But essentially the thing escalated it from a temporary to permanent ban is the fact that this is not the first time we have had to warn said user about doing this sort of thing. In fact, I believe it has been this third time they've attempted to stir up controversy using alt accounts.

Should this have been their first run in, a permanent ban would not have been considered.

I do like a good troll post or a cheeky bit of fun, but the evidence i've seen with this particular user is nuts.

Sorry we can't share it all, but we've given this individual numerous chances and they've continued to take liberties in a very sneaky and toxic way, especially with their alt accounts. Fortunately, we managed to put a stop to their disgraceful alt account behavior on the forum before it spreads to the entire community. The intentions behind some of their antics are straight-up malicious and disgraceful.

Any account that has ever received a permaban on this site has been given at least 10x more chances than what we should have given them. We don't like dishing out bans. It's sad, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

99.9% of you are awesome and it's our job to make sure you all have a great experience when you visit the dojo

Thanks for understanding.

With this i remember when i saw Sergeynest's last video, someone commented this "Bunch of morons at the shenmue dojo." Looks like someone have a lot of anger towards here, sad to see people doing this things.

The Dojo is a nice place on the internet that i feel welcomed, it is one of the few places on the internet that i feel this way, thanks to all the staff we have a great experience and a nice and friendly community, This thread is about Shenmue IV but i just want to say thanks for everything you all do for the community.

With this i remember when i saw Sergeynest's last video, someone commented this "Bunch of morons at the shenmue dojo." Looks like someone have a lot of anger towards here, sad to see people doing this things.
Very true. What some people don't tend to realise is that we are all Shenmue fans, but also gamers, who have the capability to browse the internet in general. I find it hilarious when I come across members from here who appear on other forums across the net, and post the opposite views of a particular subject, compared to what they do here. Some are Shenmue specific, some about other games as well as other forms of media. I don't understand it, and it's unfortunate to see when people just want to conform to their audience. Instead of being themselves.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I kind of like S3 fighting system, but after playing Virtua Fighter 5 US around 17 hours now I NEED that they reimplement VF fighting system to Shenmue. I like S3 mechanics, but DAMN, I forgot about what perfect fighting gameplay when they just imported VF2 system. I know that for this to happen Sega should be willing to do this, but this hours fighting made me remember Kwoolon's fight and now I am trapped in an unrealistic desire.

I kind of like S3 fighting system, but after playing Virtua Fighter 5 US around 17 hours now I NEED that they reimplement VF fighting system to Shenmue. I like S3 mechanics, but DAMN, I forgot about what perfect fighting gameplay when they just imported VF2 system. I know that for this to happen Sega should be willing to do this, but this hours fighting made me remember Kwoolon's fight and now I am trapped in an unrealistic desire.
There is a good concept behind S3's combat system, but they didn't nail the execution.

I like how it emphasised distance management and timing, but since moves are performed by inputting numerous commands in succession, it meant the combat felt VERY unresponsive because of the input buffering.

Hit detection was also very wonky, and defensive moves like guarding and side stepping were a bit clunky.

There are also other small pet peeves like the lackluster knocked down animations for enemies and how long they take to get up, and the targeting system.

I'll gladly take VF combat system back, but S3's system has potential if they address all these issues, add throws and counters, and further balance it out.

Feels like Suzuki had wildly different ideas about the combat system early in development, I remember him talking about using the environment to your advantage like knocking out stuff on your enemies or funnling them in tight spaces like stairs.

Feels like Suzuki had wildly different ideas about the combat system early in development, I remember him talking about using the environment to your advantage like knocking out stuff on your enemies or funnling them in tight spaces like stairs.
On this point - I feel like alongside there just not being the resources to allocate a team exclusively to developing the combat in Shenmue III, the fan demand for making it like the combat in the original might have meant why some of the interesting early ideas got dropped.

Shenmue III's combat is an approximation of the combat in the original games with the Virtua Fighter stripped out by the necessity of having to rebuild from scratch in a new engine, technical limitations like their mo-cap rig not being able to handle impact without breaking, and not reusing animation data. A lot of the polish that went into creating Virtua Fighter's combat in the first place and carried over into the original Shenmue games isn't present because of this, but it does resemble that original combat on the whole and solves a few problems that the first games had with camera and movement controls.

Next time around... I think I would prefer if YsNet salvaged what they could out of what they built for III, but felt freer to experiment. When people say they want the VF5 combat in the next Shenmue, do they mean *literally* the VF5 combat, or combat that feels responsive, looks good, and has impact?

Shenmue III had to reconcile having to drop the directional pad controls because analogue movement is standard and expected, and directly porting over the VF5 combat would bring that problem back. Shenmue as a series has still yet to fully figure out how to handle '1 versus 1' and '1 versus many' combat within the same game I think, though Shenmue III's approach to treating all combat encounters as the same is a step back from Shenmue II making a clear delineation between the two with the heavily VF-like arenas of the Kowloon streetfighters.

I think for the '1 versus many' combat, a good game to be taking pointers from would be the upcoming Sifu, as it actually kind of resembles a few of the ideas Yu Suzuki touted for Shenmue III and some of his stated goals for IV; like navigating more realistically sized environments.

It's got things that are crucial to these kind of combat systems, like being able to attack behind your character and a robust counter mechanic, but being able to leap forward and back up over environmental obstacles is great too. I dunno how you'd reconcile this with '1 versus 1' combat, which looked less impressive in the Sifu trailer, in a gameplay framework where the player doesn't have to learn two sets of controls; but it does make me think that YsNet should be chasing the ideal of living up to the concept of Shenmue as a playable martial arts film rather than pigeon-holing themselves in just recreating VF again.

I know all the limitations that they had when creating SIII, and understand some decissions. Without Sega's involvement there will no be VF mechanics or already created animations. Is more a wisth than anything, but I am pretty sure that SIV will have an improved SIII system, it will work just better with throws and not making all moves like a Raging Demon. I am ok with the combat in III, but I miss SII system now more than I thought.

I agree with Kyo_JP. I kind of like Shenmue III fighting system. In my case after playing VF5 Ultimate Showdown more than 60 hours i feel the same way, i really need VF Ultimate Showdown fighting system in Shenmue IV, the fighting system of this game is amazing, i love this game, but i know that this is a desire that probably will never happen.

In my opinion, this depends more on SEGA than on Yu Suzuki, maybe Yu Suzuki wants to do this but if SEGA don't allow then he will have to do it in another way, but at least i think he will probably improve Shenmue III fighting system.

Whenever IV gets announced what consoles do you think it'll release on PS5 and PC is a given but what else? Xbox would be nice just to get it into more customers hands. Does anyone think PS4 is a possibility

Last edited:
Back