Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I would be totally happy with just a polished rendition of actual graphics.
No strange artifacts when raining or fishing, no NPCs pop-ups, improved facial animations, etc...

Keep the wonderful color palette, lighting management and artistic design though!

Also manage a consistent (aka capped) frame rate.

I probably shouldn’t ask this as once these things are seen they can’t be unseen, but what artefacts are visible when fishing or when it’s raining?

It's hard to describe, but when you fish and move the fishing rod, there's some strange smearing appearing mainly on the water.
When it rains and you move, even more if you run, there's some sort of flickering in the wet grass.

Nothing too serious, but shows that some optimization would be welcome (PS4).

It's hard to describe, but when you fish and move the fishing rod, there's some strange smearing appearing mainly on the water.
When it rains and you move, even more if you run, there's some sort of flickering in the wet grass.

Nothing too serious, but shows that some optimization would be welcome (PS4).

Right, yeah I know the blur when you move the fishing rod. I noticed that in Niaowu the first time.

They should get the guys who made the BOTW soundtrack to direct the music in Shenmue 4. Give it a listen and you'll see why!

I just hope Yu Suzuki eventually comes out and states that he is aware of his misteps with Shenmue 3 and promises a better experience with 4 and has learned to devote his dev time to what matters. Its hard for me to get hyped for a shenmue 4 when I can't fathom wth Yu was thinking with Niaowu, the story, and cutting Baisha and the villains roles completely instead.

I just hope Yu Suzuki eventually comes out and states that he is aware of his misteps with Shenmue 3 and promises a better experience with 4 and has learned to devote his dev time to what matters. Its hard for me to get hyped for a shenmue 4 when I can't fathom wth Yu was thinking with Niaowu, the story, and cutting Baisha and the villains roles completely instead.

I dont think Yu Suzuki did those things on purpose thinking "I want to do things that arent good here" for two reasons:
- First, a game isn't the work of one person but a team.
- Second, the only thing you can blame him for was to try to please everyone. Although is it something you can blame someone for ?

I dont think Yu Suzuki did those things on purpose thinking "I want to do things that arent good here" for two reasons:
- Second, the only thing you can blame him for was to try to please everyone. Although is it something you can blame someone for ?
I thought, and still think he plain ran out of time and money. Even so, he made a complete game. I liked it. Not as a fanboy, if it was called something else, if it wasn't Ryo walking on the screen, I'd still say I liked it. It just felt a bit too late to come out. In 2010 it'd rock. Still we wanted it in 2004, it'd look way worse. Likely be short, maybe just one area. Voice acting in English would be the same. I saw a few negatives in S4, but not enough to completely ruin it for me.

I do wonder why he stated the combat in Shenmue III is superior to the combat in Shenmue I & II.. I wonder if it ended up as designed in his head because I think it's hard to believe he truly believes that. I can't remember where he said this, so I apologize for not providing a direct reference

I think the combat may be considered better, in sh3
because positioning in the battle arena is more natural ?

I guess the system has rooms for improvement though,
mostly with having sidestepping mapped to buttons.
(Personally, I would map analog left-right to that,
with up to select active battle item and down to use it.)

The new battle system has potential and appear more streamlined.
However, it push the perspective further,
so it may feel like being less at the heart of the battle, I dunno.

Back to the general statement,
I think the dev team made its best, with the best intentions.
And, obviously, the devs would refine what they could, should a Shenmue 4 happen.

On another note (and why I planned to post, in the first place) :
It dawned on me that Shenmue 3 is leading us to :
The next game is (probably) only in places unfamiliar to all the main 3 characters..

I mean, Shenmue 1 was somewhere familiar to Ryo
In Shenmue 2, Ryo had Lishao Tao, as someone to look for assistance,
then, Ren knew his way around Hong Kong
In Shenmue 3, Shenhua is familiar with Bailu.

Shenmue 4 is really going : Into the unknown

I do wonder why he stated the combat in Shenmue III is superior to the combat in Shenmue I & II.. I wonder if it ended up as designed in his head because I think it's hard to believe he truly believes that. I can't remember where he said this, so I apologize for not providing a direct reference
People are hung up on what they've grown up with. There are many reasons I think S3's combat fixed so much that was goofy in 1&2. If he had enough money, a bigger team, just adding the throws in would have made it much, much better. All that IMO.

I wonder what graphical improvments would shenmue 4 have over shenmue3, if it would be released
He needs to hire a good expert at facial animation. He needs a system, a global system, as in at this second the emotion is smiling. I'm remembering modding an RPG long ago. A Bioware one with very good system for emotions on screen.

@[U]Dg1995[/U] No you are not. Not so sure About the Sega Statement though , as Sega improved quite a lot in the recent years, but i also do not want to see the Dragon Engine in S4. It looks to realistic and not Shenmueesque at all. The Unreal Engine is a way better Engine to make a modern Shenmue game.

Last edited:
If we do see a Shenmue 4, it'll need pull in significantly better reviews than Shenmue 3. The 68 score on Metacritic is just abysmal. https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shenmue-iii

I'm on the side that review doesn't really matter that much. My problem is that among fans, the game didn't shine. Sure, I know some people will tell me "Hey, I loved it !" or even "You can find negative fans opinion about I and II". But to me, this doesn't reflect the reality. There's a clear drop to me in interest and rating even from fans about 3.

With this number of "hyperbole" flowing around,
now i'm disappointed that the math page Easter-egg/placeholder,
that Shenhua is reading is not a course on hyperbolic functions.

OK...
I admit that it can be considered a "prelude", as trigonometry is linked to it.
Then, let me suggest Her continuing her formation, in Shenmue 4,
with an actual page about the hyperbolic tangent.

Back