Random Shenmue Thoughts

Could be worse. Could be 'Roy'.
You are joking but back at the day of Shenmue original lifespan (between 1998-2004?) There was AgeTec publishers.
TheY made excellent cultural changes to every title that landed -uninexplainable- in their hands.
Honorable mentions: Zettai Zetsumei Toshi and Clock Tower - Ghost Head.
There's a dimension where this people carried Shenmue 1 & 2 localizations. So to sump up we had:
- What do you mean Japan, China... konichiwa!(laughs) led dlagon, chopsuei, hochimin city?(more laughs) THIS IS CLEARLY CALIFORNIA! (changes all references to asian culture)
- Westernized Ryo, Nozomi and maybe the whole cast. Nows they are blonde haired Maxwells and Stephanies. Lan-Di becomes Mr. Goldstein. The main villain must be jew, you silly!
- Altering titles. No more Shenmue. "BANG! In Your Face! The Rage Within" has way more appeal to western audiences.

@the_phoenix_mirror :
Jesus Christ, Ryo.

View attachment 14423View attachment 14424
Errmm... Izumi "ONI!" Takano literally invites you to go over her place and do silver chest gorillas things. Ryo: I'm leaving Wan Chai!

Last edited:
I've neither the training nor the time to explore the topic, but I wonder if anyone in our community has familiarity with ceramics. I wonder with relation to the crafted works in the series.

We know Suzuki's attention to detail. I wonder if there's anything unique or particularly intentional in the design choices of pottery etc. in the game. I'm reminded of this due to vases and the like being searchable in many scenes (chiefly Ghost Hall level 10)-- was it mainly to show off Dreamcast power, Eastern art, a bit of both?

Well my Shenmue II disc 3 arrived. It had a lot of tiny scratches. My goal was to reach ghost hall building for today and it worked without any of those data read errors. Have you guys ever had a bunch of tiny scratches on a disc and it worked fine?

Yeah, even discs as tempermental as GDroms are fine with minor light scratches. Most independent game shops now have one of them awesome industrial disc resurfacer if you want to be safe.

Sometimes I wonder if there's someone alive who sat in a starbucks and unknowingly made a chawan sign and got their ass beat for doing so...
I've always wanted to go to a restaurant make a chaiwan sign and wait for a shenmue fan to notice. people walking by and im just like huh...Huh...HUH!!! *wink wink* i always pictured someone taps me on the shoulder. I look and no ones there. I look back and theres a note on the table. i open it and it reads "youre a loser"

I've always wanted to go to a restaurant make a chaiwan sign and wait for a shenmue fan to notice. people walking by and im just like huh...Huh...HUH!!! *wink wink* i always pictured someone taps me on the shoulder. I look and no ones there. I look back and theres a note on the table. i open it and it reads "youre a loser"
who wants dating apps when theres good ol' ecofriendly chawan

Where else can I buy move scrolls in Kowloon other than the 2 knife shops in the Thousand White building?

Also, is there ever anyone in the tortoise fortune teller? I've never been in there. In fact, I don't think I've ever bothered with the fortune tellers in Kowloon (until today). It's astonishing, for both games, that no matter what point you're at in the games, that the team developed and implemented helpful guidance for all the different fortune tellers.

Where else can I buy move scrolls in Kowloon other than the 2 knife shops in the Thousand White building?

Also, is there ever anyone in the tortoise fortune teller? I've never been in there. In fact, I don't think I've ever bothered with the fortune tellers in Kowloon (until today). It's astonishing, for both games, that no matter what point you're at in the games, that the team developed and implemented helpful guidance for all the different fortune tellers.
Outside the two stores there’s two move scrolls on lucky hit on Dragon Street.

Ok, I'll take a look at those.

I get so caught up in the excitement of the game that I forget to pursue the trophies until it's too late. I missed the arm wrestling trophy, unless there's some arm wrestling in Kowloon...?

Back