Random Shenmue Thoughts

Just finished Shenmue 1 on Steam. It's crazy, even tho Shenmue is my favorite video game series, every time I play and beat, I'm still on my ass because of how good this whole game is.

Anyway, something I find funnily weird : 12,1% have finished Shenmue 1. 12,0% have beaten Chai at the port.

I mean, I'm sure it's just the data from Steam that are bugging, but I find it funny to think some people finished the game without beating Chai :ROFLMAO:

I may be ignorant on Japanese martial art schools... but that dojo is large enough to teach a few to several students at once. Does any of the games or backstory reveal how many, if any were trained? I know the first game shows the father teaching his son a few moves, but besides Fukuhara, I am not aware of any other students.

This felt like right place to share this older video. The games sense of place and atmosphere never fails not to amaze me-

I absolutly loved when it snowed in Shenmue and this music really complemented the atmosphere in the game; it made it feel like it was christmas time in the game.
Loved if they made snow in Shenmue 4 .

I've been listening to the Shenmue 3 soundtrack since its release and man I love this music. It's so relaxing and inspiring. Thank you to everyone in this community you guys are the best.💪
I don't know if already listen to my Shenmue 3 relaxing music compilation; if not check it out; I think you will enjoy it a lot.

Someone should make a Shenmue 3 Winter mod for Bailu Village, because it would be just simple amazing.
I could already imagine the rooftops with snow, the top of the Shenmue Tree covered in white, the frozen fishing lake, the children playing with the snow in the Sunflower Grove, the Christmas Ligths in the village square and in the Panda Market. If that could have been in the original game it would certainly have left a mark in our memories.

I absolutly loved when it snowed in Shenmue and this music really complemented the atmosphere in the game; it made it feel like it was christmas time in the game.
Loved if they made snow in Shenmue 4 .

Sadly, unless there's a timeskip, I don't see it happening. They are:

- Still in Southern-China
- Still in the summer

But in 5, given that they're heading north and it'll probably be winter, you'll definitely see snow.

Well there are a bunch of Shenhua artworks in snow / winter clothes from way back in the day.
Even if these were just done for the sake of being something random to look at, they are still a nice outlook to how it could be done down the road.
Unrelated I’ve tried triggering different conversations at various story beats in Bailu in my current play through. I was surprised there was more lines of unique dialogue that I would have imagined for game on tight budget. Do you plan on doing obscure conversations video but for Shenmue 3?

Unrelated I’ve tried triggering different conversations at various story beats in Bailu in my current play through. I was surprised there was more lines of unique dialogue that I would have imagined for game on tight budget. Do you plan on doing obscure conversations video but for Shenmue 3?
This is one of the things that I loved about Shenmue III. Just like in the first two games, there is a ridiculous amount of optional, easily missed dialogue when speaking to different NPCs at different points in the story. Way more than you would expect from a crowdfunded game, especially when it's all fully voice acted in two different languages.

I know some people will say that it was a waste of budget that should have been spent on more important aspects of the game. But it's one of the truly unique things that I love about this series. It makes it feel like Ryo is living in a real world inhabited by real people. And Shenmue III really exceeded my expectations in this regard, considering its tight budget.

This is one of the things that I loved about Shenmue III. Just like in the first two games, there is a ridiculous amount of optional, easily missed dialogue when speaking to different NPCs at different points in the story. Way more than you would expect from a crowdfunded game, especially when it's all fully voice acted in two different languages.

I know some people will say that it was a waste of budget that should have been spent on more important aspects of the game. But it's one of the truly unique things that I love about this series. It makes it feel like Ryo is living in a real world inhabited by real people. And Shenmue III really exceeded my expectations in this regard, considering its tight budget.

I couldn’t agree more. I think that’s why fans we can replay the originals over and over again as it’s likely on your 15th or 50th playthrough you will find a new conversation branch or piece of unique dialogue.

I know one of the common criticisms of Shenmue’s design is that you just blindly speak to everyone in sight who will point you to next conversation marker but that’s where the more intimate and homely nature of Yokosuka and Bailu shine. In that you get to know residents more and clearly at certain story points can make educated deductions on who may be more useful and helpful in that case.

Did anyone call Nozomi after she brought the flowers? Her grandmother answers every time I call her. I tried to talk with Fuku-san after the cut-scene and it doesn't work. Do you have any tips?
I have PS4 version and never had this problem on Dreamcast.

There are a couple of these short hallways. One is from the living room to Ine-san's room. And the other is from the Shrine room to Iwao's room. I assume they are for privacy or not to clutter the main hallway with too much foot traffic.

But if the Passport is to be believed, then the whole structure or much of it is still original and if it was a temple to begin with, then the current rooms themselves (as in what they contain, Ine-sane's room, kitchen, guest room, etc) most likely means nothing anyway.

So what are these side hallways for and does anyone know the name of them? I guess I could just use the term short hallway or side hallway. Just not sure if something better fits. Any ideas? Thank you.

I couldn’t agree more. I think that’s why fans we can replay the originals over and over again as it’s likely on your 15th or 50th playthrough you will find a new conversation branch or piece of unique dialogue.

I know one of the common criticisms of Shenmue’s design is that you just blindly speak to everyone in sight who will point you to next conversation marker but that’s where the more intimate and homely nature of Yokosuka and Bailu shine. In that you get to know residents more and clearly at certain story points can make educated deductions on who may be more useful and helpful in that case.

To me I never really minded the roaming around and asking people questions, at least not in the first game. The second game due to it's large nature was kind of dull and tedious to me, plus I am interested more in Japan than China... But I enjoyed it. Looking at it from a strictly first impression and not liking or disliking it, I can see where some find it unpleasant at times, because you have to do it quite often and they may not be into the whole Japan vibe. But the game world feels so alive and breathing, that I get lost in it all and can go around just looking at random things.

"Hey Ryo, weren't you trying to find the killer of your father?"

"What? Oh yea... yes of course... uh... hey wait a moment... I am trying to get this super rare Sonic toy from this machine... and then I have to buy a few dozen sodas and see if I win a special can... and then drop by the arcade and see about getting the new high score... and then stop by to see how the kitten is doing... and then be scolded by Ine-san because it is the fourth time this week I will have missed curfew..."

Last edited:
Back