Random Shenmue Thoughts

This felt like right place to share this older video. The games sense of place and atmosphere never fails not to amaze me-

By the way, is this forum going to do what the old forums did and have it snow around the borders? I can not remember if music played or not... but I use to come here just to interact with you guys and enjoy the moment as it were... usually with my Dreamcast on and playing Shenmue or at least it playing in the background and usually with a bowl of instant ramen in one hand and chop sticks in the other. I think these were the days when we were getting excited for Shenmue Online... those were the days...

In Shenmue I, I wonder what would happen if you don't move a single crate at a forklift job, do you get an empty envelope with no money or something? Never tried to do it myself, just curious.

In Shenmue I, I wonder what would happen if you don't move a single crate at a forklift job, do you get an empty envelope with no money or something? Never tried to do it myself, just curious.
Now, you made me curious too.

Did anyone call Nozomi after she brought the flowers? Her grandmother answers every time I call her. I tried to talk with Fuku-san after the cut-scene and it doesn't work. Do you have any tips?
I have PS4 version and never had this problem on Dreamcast.
I don't think I've ever even been able to get this to work on the Dreamcast, to be honest. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

20 years ago today Shenmue 1 was released in the EU/UK.

What do you remember from the day the snow turned to rain?

Did you play this 20 years ago or did the HD versions bring you towards this wonderful franchise?
I discovered Shenmue with Shenmue 2 on Xbox in 2003. Back then, I didn't a understand a word in English at all, and the game didn't have a French translation (I was 9 years old) . So it was hard for me to get the game, but I would still play it and have fun. I was really passionate about a game I understood nothing about, but I could feel it was something special.

But it's only around 2008 or 2009 that I was good enough in English, so I watched Shenmue the Movie, that was given with Shenmue 2 Xbox, and then played Shenmue 2 until the end. It was great. Really great. At this point I started being a Shenmue fan, and awaited Shenmue 3. For me, it took 10 years for Ryo and Shenhua to get out of the cave.

The first time I played Shenmue 1, was when I wanted to replay Shenmue 2, in 2010, I thought it would better to play the game myself, so I used NULLDC back then. At first I thought that Shenmue 2 was way better than Shenmue 1. But now, even though I believe that Shenmue 2 is a slightly better game, objectively, I prefer going back the Shenmue 1 more. It feels cozier, it feels like I'm home, and with friends. It's conforting.

I am happy, because at the start of this year, I found Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast! I have now an original copy of the game!

I have a confession to make - a friend of mine bought the game on launch, and i was like "wow! awesome graphics! but it looks really boring you just go around shops talking to people?" In my defense I was 15 years old and I traditionally never liked RPGs, being raised on Sega's arcade games - but a few months later I bought a Dreamcast Magazine that came with a free Shenmue guidebook - so I thought i'm going to try it, and see what all the fuss is about- after all, I loved Virtua Fighter and most of Yu Suzuki's games without really realizing it, and before I knew it, Disc 1 was over and I was totally and utterly invested in not just the characters and story, but the amazing atmosphere of Yokosuka and Dobuita. The first video game where I felt like I not only visited but inhabited a real place.

Complete-A-z-Of-Dreamcast-Cheats.jpg

Of course, back then, I only had to wait around 6-7 months for Shenmue II to come out which I purchased immediately...I even bought the original Xbox the following year and got the 2X port that Christmas (NTSC - had a US xbox) and like everyone else, awaited the 3rd installment in earnest....

Did you play this 20 years ago or did the HD versions bring you towards this wonderful franchise?

I was big into Japan and I grew up in the 80's so this was a no brainer. I also liked Sega (even if they made some really stupid choices) and Dreamcast was the next best thing for gaming. Shenmue is still easily the best game I have ever played on the system and was the whole reason I bought a Dreamcast to begin with. Phantasy Star Online was probably the best game I did not play on the Dreamcast and still regret it to this day.

Besides a few hide and seek missions or really anything with the forklift, even though I understand the premises behind them, the game is always a joy to play. I just wish the remakes or ports allowed for easier modding, so we can have more areas to explore, characters to interact with, new moves, buyable and wearable things, etc.

Although I did not have the internet at the time (main reason I never picked up Phantasy Star Online.), years later when I did and I was lucky enough to find the Dojo, I would spend hours reading and commenting all things Shenmue and enjoy the company from the other dojoers (is that even a word?). I would sit and play or at least have the game running and actually be inside a restaurant and eating instant ramen (instant ramen does not taste anything like real ramen...) while on the dojo website, generally talking about Shenmue Online as I recall, when excitement for the game was at it's peak. Hopefully the Dojo banner or background will have the snow affects for Christmas again.

Last edited:
I have a confession to make - a friend of mine bought the game on launch, and i was like "wow! awesome graphics! but it looks really boring you just go around shops talking to people?" In my defense I was 15 years old and I traditionally never liked RPGs, being raised on Sega's arcade games - but a few months later I bought a Dreamcast Magazine that came with a free Shenmue guidebook - so I thought i'm going to try it, and see what all the fuss is about- after all, I loved Virtua Fighter and most of Yu Suzuki's games without really realizing it, and before I knew it, Disc 1 was over and I was totally and utterly invested in not just the characters and story, but the amazing atmosphere of Yokosuka and Dobuita. The first video game where I felt like I not only visited but inhabited a real place.

Complete-A-z-Of-Dreamcast-Cheats.jpg

Of course, back then, I only had to wait around 6-7 months for Shenmue II to come out which I purchased immediately...I even bought the original Xbox the following year and got the 2X port that Christmas (NTSC - had a US xbox) and like everyone else, awaited the 3rd installment in earnest....

Did you read the guide before playing? Or the guide was mostly "about" Shenmue and not actually all the secrets?

Did you read the guide before playing? Or the guide was mostly "about" Shenmue and not actually all the secrets?
No, I read it as I played through it. It was meaty - about half the book - but it's been so long I can't remember if it went into any of the real secret stuff. I still have it in my moms loft, I'll have to grab it sometime.

No, I read it as I played through it. It was meaty - about half the book - but it's been so long I can't remember if it went into any of the real secret stuff. I still have it in my moms loft, I'll have to grab it sometime.
Reminds me of the Official Everquest Trilogy guide from Prima. What a wealth of knowledge for in game stuff and back stories. Such a joy to read. I had borrowed it from a fellow soldier and it was the whole reason I even bought a PC to begin with. Before that I had Web TV. :giggle: I found my own used copy of the guide not too long ago at a Half Priced Books. Again such a joy to read. But of course the guide it self is woefully outdated. Not just with new maps and locations which obviously would need a new guide for, but some of the older stuff has been tweaked as well. Kind of sad if you enjoy Classic EQ. Of course there are online resources... but who uses the internet...

I also remember my dad had found the Official Dragon Warrior 2 guide out in the parking lot of a store next door to where we were taking "temporary residency" at a Public Storage garage... :cool: I must of read that thing a hundred times cover to cover... I miss that book among other things...

What is the significance of the Sha Hua cassette tape found in Ryo's room? We don't get to know her until the second game and if I remember correctly, near the end of it, maybe the middle at the earliest. But she is in the intro of Shenmue 1 and there is a cassette of her (name?) in the bottom drawer of Ryo's desk in his room.

Is there any significance to this? A meaning behind it? Is he influenced by her some how before he even knows he has to go on a quest to find his father's killer? Is she an actual singer who was professionally recorded and thus had a cassette tape produced and sold? Or it was just something Yu did as a way to listen to music that you like, using the cassette tape you found in the top drawer of the desk?

You might be overthinking this just a tad. It doesn’t make sense for a Shenmue cassette tape to be in his room either, or for Shenhua to feature on the potato chip/chocolate wrappers.

My brother finally got a 2nd hand PS4, so he can now play Shenmue! We don't have a lot in common, but one of the few things we do have is a love of Shenmue. It made me so happy that I could talk to him without having to spend 5 minutes beforehand making an excuse to talk as it can be so difficult. I tried to tell him about all the hidden scenes, but he was just happy going to the arcade, getting capsule toys and going to work.

What I will say is that within an hour of playing it, he won the cassette player at the Tomato Mart...in my 20 years of playing, i've *never* won the bloody thing! He was so excited he ran into my room to tell me! He's since won all the 2nd and 3rd prizes and last I saw, he was trying to get all the prizes at the docks.

He could never get into Shenmue II as at the time he didn't like the fact it was subtitled (he's grown out of it now), but the fact there is a dub with II and III will make it easier for him. It's also nice, that 5 1/2 years later he finally got his birthday gift of Shenmue III haha.

Is there a Shenmue ring tone that makes the sound effect of a new journal entry? If not someone thats technically saved shoukd create this.

I'd like to have the journal sound effect for notifications on my phone 📱

Back