Random Shenmue Thoughts

Is there a Shenmue ring tone that makes the sound effect of a new journal entry? If not someone thats technically saved shoukd create this.

I'd like to have the journal sound effect for notifications on my phone πŸ“±
I actually have that as my notification sound! I think I found it through an app called Zedge. Not sure if the app still works, I haven’t used it in a while...

Is there a Shenmue ring tone that makes the sound effect of a new journal entry? If not someone thats technically saved shoukd create this.

Here's the tone itself: https://www.zedge.net/ringtone/6e9401fc-2df2-3f91-b13f-14831f9e625c
(So too, https://www.zedge.net/find/shenmue for the rest, though there's not much else.)

I use that noise for my notifications, and Bob's Pizza as my alarm; the latter will make me get up just so I don't have to hear it the 30,000th time.

My alarm is either the Duck Racing theme or Magical Sound Shower.

Trust me, when Duck Racing plays loudly, YOU'RE UP lol

And my old notification sound was Saejima saying Rouge of Love...

(the first one, including the grunt before he says it lol)

I had my notification sound as the journal ping a few years back! I eventually had to change it though because I found myself constantly checking my phone whenever I actually played the games πŸ˜‚

Now I'm just one of those boring people who have their phones on vibrate all the time lol

Thanks to everyone that informed me of Shenmue ringtones. I now have the Tomato Convenience Store as my ringtone and the New Journal entry as my notifications. The only ringtone better than this would be the One Piece Snail Transponder.

Yeah I just changed it to the One Piece Snail phone 🐌

Last edited:
There are a couple of these short hallways. One is from the living room to Ine-san's room. And the other is from the Shrine room to Iwao's room. I assume they are for privacy or not to clutter the main hallway with too much foot traffic.

But if the Passport is to be believed, then the whole structure or much of it is still original and if it was a temple to begin with, then the current rooms themselves (as in what they contain, Ine-sane's room, kitchen, guest room, etc) most likely means nothing anyway.

So what are these side hallways for and does anyone know the name of them? I guess I could just use the term short hallway or side hallway. Just not sure if something better fits. Any ideas? Thank you.

What is the significance of the Sha Hua cassette tape found in Ryo's room? We don't get to know her until the second game and if I remember correctly, near the end of it, maybe the middle at the earliest. But she is in the intro of Shenmue 1 and there is a cassette of her (name?) in the bottom drawer of Ryo's desk in his room.

Is there any significance to this? A meaning behind it? Is he influenced by her some how before he even knows he has to go on a quest to find his father's killer? Is she an actual singer who was professionally recorded and thus had a cassette tape produced and sold? Or it was just something Yu did as a way to listen to music that you like, using the cassette tape you found in the top drawer of the desk?
I may be ignorant on Japanese martial art schools... but that dojo is large enough to teach a few to several students at once. Does any of the games or backstory reveal how many, if any were trained? I know the first game shows the father teaching his son a few moves, but besides Fukuhara, I am not aware of any other students.

Regardless why these were moved here, instead of their own threads as was originally intended, as these are questions and not thoughts, I would still like to know the answers to these for research purposes if anyone knows. Thanks.

Can somebody share a high quality image of the Sega Darts 7 logo please as I want to get a T-Shirt made

Regardless why these were moved here, instead of their own threads as was originally intended, as these are questions and not thoughts, I would still like to know the answers to these for research purposes if anyone knows. Thanks.
Regarding the hallways, no clue. I don't think they have specific names, as they're just hallways, unless there are names for certain hallways in traditional Japanese architecture, like one that leads to the bathroom, kitchen, etc.

I wouldn't read too much into the cassette tape. Same as the chips, chocolate, and caramel. Just an Easter egg. I'm more curious about the dream sequences that still haven't been explained yet.

I don't think there is much information either way about whether Iwao had any other students aside from Ryo and Fuku - san. But he could always hold classes where students come to him.

It would be nice if, in Shenmue 1, you could enter buildings/restaurants and parks, and just sit in a chair and watch time pass by, observe the patterns and animations, and listen to the music.

The little restaurants scattered about have such nice tunes and interesting animations. It's a bit awkward to try to get a good view/angle without Ryo's head obscuring everything.

It would be nice if, in Shenmue 1, you could enter buildings/restaurants and parks, and just sit in a chair and watch time pass by, observe the patterns and animations, and listen to the music.

The little restaurants scattered about have such nice tunes and interesting animations. It's a bit awkward to try to get a good view/angle without Ryo's head obscuring everything.

Can't you hold one of the triggers and zoom in? Not quite "sitting there" and the passage of time does not speed up or slow down, but I do believe you can just stand there and observe.

Anyone ever been to Dobuita (or know of anyone) and actually gone into the businesses and supported them? I know lots of people have been there and stood on the street, but I think it would be nice to sit down in some of these little tiny restaurants and get a feel of the vibe/atmosphere.

When I see some of the shops in Shenmue 1, I wonder if there are shops that are actually that small or if it was just downsized for the sake of being in the game.

There's a show on Netflix called Midnight Diner, about a tiny little diner in Japan. Anyone seen this show and able to verify if this stuff is real, or if the shop sizes in Shenmue 1 are realistic? Take for example the Karaoke shop - I think it has 4 stools. Or Bob's Pizza; also very small inside.

Anyone ever been to Dobuita (or know of anyone) and actually gone into the businesses and supported them? I know lots of people have been there and stood on the street, but I think it would be nice to sit down in some of these little tiny restaurants and get a feel of the vibe/atmosphere.

When I see some of the shops in Shenmue 1, I wonder if there are shops that are actually that small or if it was just downsized for the sake of being in the game.

There's a show on Netflix called Midnight Diner, about a tiny little diner in Japan. Anyone seen this show and able to verify if this stuff is real, or if the shop sizes in Shenmue 1 are realistic? Take for example the Karaoke shop - I think it has 4 stools. Or Bob's Pizza; also very small inside.
Yes there are plenty "mom and pop" shops that small as the game itself, assuming you just mean any restaurant in the game and not a specific one. A counter with some barstools and maybe a few tables for families and that is it. Some is standing room only, but those are more stalls than anything else. (I made a thread on ramen stalls in Off Topic.) When I went a few years ago, right before they tore down the fish market for the new one, around that area there were plenty of small shops that were open (not inside a building) and only had seating for about five, maybe six people as well.

This may not show off what I mean as well, but maybe it helps. ^^!

I’ve been to the equivalent of Toms Hot Dog van which is actually a Kebab van run by a Turkish guy I think. Been to the 711 which is virtually Tomato store. I spent the evening in some bars there which are pretty small.

I ate at one of the Yokosuka Burger places (and I got a burrito lol. But it was SO GOOD) and I also bought a TITS shirt (Two in the Shirt; a clothing brand from Seattle; was the last shirt of their I ever bought) at one of the shops run by a Nigerian Proprietor (we only went in because my wife wanted to...). It was the only place in Japan where we heard good, consistent English. The Burger joint was a glorified stand (but did have a storefront and some seats and tables), but the atmosphere was less-than stellar; we didn't feel unsafe in the slightest, but it wasn't very inviting.

Is that a standing trunk in Fukuhara's room, next to the futon? And is that a partition in Ine-san's room? I understand you kneel to sit at the low table and what not, but that is a bit low to be for privacy when changing clothes.

What can I do with the fortune teller's number option?

Anyone know that that object in the pond is? It collects water then tips over, sorta like a teeter totter?

Back