Random Shenmue Thoughts

Just got the new issue of Retro Gamer (with Sonic on the cover) and there was an interesting section of beloved games that the Retro Gamer team hate. The editor chose Shenmue. In a way, it wasn't a surprise because I remember when Shenmue was on the cover and you could tell that he had to maintain a professional attitude about it. A shame really as I think the editor is great, but shows that it's not a game for everyone

20210605_104741.jpg

Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but SEGA Europe's YT uploaded a video with Adam Koralik the other day and a good chunk of the video talks about Shenmue. This is very nice to hear!

Remember the line in Ryo's notebook that goes : "They ride around the harbor at night"? I think you get from Goro or guy from warehouse.
Anyway, I wonder, does it sound right in English? I always thought the night is referring to time past the midnight, but it seems that night time is also something that occurs after 7 pm, or is it?
Wouldn't it be better to say "they right in the evening?" It just seems that night might be too broad term here, and they could've been more specific when to expect the event to happen, like if you have to wait until 7 pm or after midnight.

Remember the line in Ryo's notebook that goes : "They ride around the harbor at night"? I think you get from Goro or guy from warehouse.
Anyway, I wonder, does it sound right in English? I always thought the night is referring to time past the midnight, but it seems that night time is also something that occurs after 7 pm, or is it?
Wouldn't it be better to say "they right in the evening?" It just seems that night might be too broad term here, and they could've been more specific when to expect the event to happen, like if you have to wait until 7 pm or after midnight.
Perfectly understandable in English. Once the day-to-night transition occurs at 7pm, it is officially night in Shenmue, and remains as such until Ryo wakes up the next day.

I get where you're coming from, but the transition is the clincher in the situation.

Oh I see, So I guess the night here is more in a sense of the time period between the sundown and the sunrise rather than specific part of the full day cycle. So it is more like "They ride motorcycles after the sun goes down". With no specific indication of when exactly will it be.
I wonder how it sounds in Japanese..

Oh I see, So I guess the night here is more in a sense of the time period between the sundown and the sunrise rather than specific part of the full day cycle. So it is more like "They ride motorcycles after the sun goes down". With no specific indication of when exactly will it be.
I wonder how it sounds in Japanese..
Bingo!

Here we go again, large creator dunks on shenmue for clout
What I find amusing is that he bought the game just to trash it. So basically, he supported a game he hates for publicity. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. Also, taking a look at his profile, he seems to be just another proverbial Ryu Ga Gotoku fan. I know not all fans are like that, but fans like him set a bad image.

P.S. I apologize if my post conflated Ryu Ga Gotoku as I unintentionally misspoke. What I mean is in the sense of Ryu Ga Gotoku fans are the ones with the mindset of "Ryu Ga Gotoku is the better Shenmue." I have met plenty of level-headed Ryu Ga Gotoku fans and I am one myself. However, fans like him do not do the fanbase justice.

Last edited:
What I find amusing is that he bought the game just to trash it. So basically, he supported a game he hates for publicity. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. Also, taking a look at his profile, he seems to be just another proverbial Ryu Ga Gotoku fan. I know not all fans are like that, but fans like him set a bad image.

P.S. I apologize if my post conflated Ryu Ga Gotoku as I unintentionally misspoke. What I mean is in the sense of Ryu Ga Gotoku fans are the ones with the mindset of "Ryu Ga Gotoku is the better Shenmue." I have met plenty of level-headed Ryu Ga Gotoku fans and I am one myself. However, fans like him do not do the fanbase justice.
Nah, I think everyone understood what you meant. I love Yakuza too, but unfortunately there are just a few bad apples among the fanbase that like to pic fights with Shenmue for whatever reason (I will refrain from making insulting, ignorant speculation for once in my wretched life as to what those reasons are).

Honestly though, most of the trash talkers in my experience are either 0nlies or don't play the series at all and merely use it as a tool to bludgeon Shenmue... which they also don't play at all. :unsure:

P.S. Seeing those Japanese adults still into capsule toys is strangely heartwarming.

wrong size for me but i bought this leather 90s era avirex jacket at a carboot (flea market) today.
the embroidered tiger kinda reminds me of ryo's jacket lol.
Christ, I haven't been to a carboot sale in almost twenty years. I'm getting more of a Hotline Miami vibe from it, but there's some Shenmue in there, too. Nice find!

Back