Random Shenmue Thoughts

I don’t disagree, as a teenager after first completing Shenmue 2 I thought it was the superior game in almost every aspect and I loved the epic scale and increase in action. As I got older my appreciation of the original grew so much, for a lot of the points you mentioned.

However no matter which game you like more I think most fans would argue in terms of getting casual or new fans to the series, Shenmue 2 is a much more accessible game. From having wait feature, action up front and some really interesting characters and objectives. Thus it’s a little frustrating seeing a lot of new players try original but give up when a lot of their complaints are remedied in the sequel.

TripleJump did a video ranking all SEGA franchises (by averaging scores). Shenmue made it to the top 10 and narrowly beat Yakuza. Whoever wrote the script for the video wasn't a fan though.

I'm half way through this, so you beat me to it! I thought one of the guys from Triple Jump was a massive Shenmue fan? Not the one with the sardonic drawly voice, the other one!

After watching Kenjito Masters Shenmue high-level combo videos, I was hit with another realization. While I do not believe that this was intentional, I think Yu Suzuki and AM2 were the pioneers of the stylish-action genre before Godhand in 2006. Think about it, Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka and Shenmue II were based on the Virtua Fighter I and II engine respectively.

Also, the first Shenmue title was released in 1999/2000 while the second Shenmue title was released in 2001/2002. That means Yu Suzuki, Sega, and AM2 created the stylish-action genre a full seven years before Godhand. My God, Yu Suzuki is truly an extraordinary individual, I did not think I could have respected him even more, and yet, here we are.

After watching Kenjito Masters Shenmue high-level combo videos, I was hit with another realization. While I do not believe that this was intentional, I think Yu Suzuki and AM2 were the pioneers of the stylish-action genre before Godhand in 2006. Think about it, Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka and Shenmue II were based on the Virtua Fighter I and II engine respectively.

Also, the first Shenmue title was released in 1999/2000 while the second Shenmue title was released in 2001/2002. That means Yu Suzuki, Sega, and AM2 created the stylish-action genre a full seven years before Godhand. My God, Yu Suzuki is truly an extraordinary individual, I did not think I could have respected him even more, and yet, here we are.

I remember seeing somewhere that on the development of the first game Yu Suzuki even had a hard time trying to explain for the team what he wanted, a hard time for the team to understand because at the time no one has did those things in games, was something new, so sometimes the team had difficulty to understand some things he wanted, was something like this that i saw, i don't remember where i saw this.

Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka was released in 1999 in Japan, in 1999 and Yu Suzuki did a lot of new things, really amazing. Other new thing was the weather system, i don't remember a weather system like Shenmue before 1999 in games. I will always support and respect Yu Suzuki and i have hope that one day we will see Shenmue completed.

The japanese Shenmue fans always make different fan arts, fan stories and much more in manga/anime style, sometimes i even search for Shenmue in japanese this way >>> "シェンムー" to find this different and unique content about Shenmue.

Beautiful little fan story video with many Shenmue Characters ❤️

:LOL:

🤣

Dunkey just loves him some Shenmue references
He constantly has Shenmue music in his videos, and often time references the games. My first exposure to him was his Shenmue II playthrough from before his channel was big.

The things that people can do with Dreams absolutely astounds me

Back