Random Shenmue Thoughts

In this episode of Shenmue Talk i shared my opinion about the Shenmue tree, and that maybe we will see another Shenmue tree in a old city, probably Luoyang.

Happy Shenmue Day to all the fans around the world. ❤️

LetsGetShenmue4 Images by Shenmue Forever.

Last edited:
WatchMojo did a video today called "Top 22 Video Game Fails of Each Year 2000-2021) and Shenmue was the very first game. For what it's worth, they say a lot of positive things about Shenmue, but incorrectly said the budget was $70m and not $47.

I'd link it, but not sure if I ought to. I don't know why I keep watching "list" videos as most of it is subjective and WM are all over the place (and far too American for my tastes).

I know Yu said the budget was $47 million, but you've got to wond r where the $70illion figure comes from. I know in the part, the best guess has been that the first games budget alone was the $47 million price tag, and maybe the &70 figure comes from either the combined budget of I & II, or the budget of I plus all or the marketing, merchandise, events like the Premiere, etc. I've also known people to say that $70 million is just to sound fancy and even bigger scale (as if $47 million isn't), but Guinness does their research and fact checking...surely they wouldn't have printed a false number if it was pure marketing spew.

I know Yu said the budget was $47 million, but you've got to wond r where the $70illion figure comes from. I know in the part, the best guess has been that the first games budget alone was the $47 million price tag, and maybe the &70 figure comes from either the combined budget of I & II, or the budget of I plus all or the marketing, merchandise, events like the Premiere, etc. I've also known people to say that $70 million is just to sound fancy and even bigger scale (as if $47 million isn't), but Guinness does their research and fact checking...surely they wouldn't have printed a false number if it was pure marketing spew.
I found a mention here of this figure (when converted to USD) by Sega In their Weekly AM2 at the time of the first game's release: "Five years in the making, 7 billion yen in production costs; director and executive producer Yu Suzuki brings you his masterpiece which hits the shelves tomorrow."

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/09/weekly-am2-vol-3-shenmue-triathlon-28th.html

I found a mention here of this figure (when converted to USD) by Sega In their Weekly AM2 at the time of the first game's release: "Five years in the making, 7 billion yen in production costs; director and executive producer Yu Suzuki brings you his masterpiece which hits the shelves tomorrow."

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/09/weekly-am2-vol-3-shenmue-triathlon-28t
Google says that is about $61 million today.

I kind of always believed both figures could be corr ct, when including things like merch and events and such. I could be way off, but I just don't think Guinness would print something that wasn't proven.

Google says that is about $61 million today.

I kind of always believed both figures could be corr ct, when including things like merch and events and such. I could be way off, but I just don't think Guinness would print something that wasn't proven.
I don’t what it was back then but Guinness is hardly the bastion for credibility these days.

I always thought the 70 million figure was with Saturn development costs, marketing, merchandise, licensing and events all rolled together.

I don’t what it was back then but Guinness is hardly the bastion for credibility these days.

I always thought the 70 million figure was with Saturn development costs, marketing, merchandise, licensing and events all rolled together.
Fair enough. It's certainly not impossible. I always thought the same as you say.

Anyone like watching people stream their first shenmue playthrough? These people are pretty cool and could use some followers.

Hosting right now.

Back