Random Shenmue Thoughts

OK so Zoom option kills the crosshairs. Anything for the red circles? BTW pail toss is insanely fun. I still want my darts back!

Still at the harbor, when Eri and Nozomi come to take photos, Ryo seem angry on both,
but he did smile just after the click of the last photo. As Eri could say, what's wrong with him. ๐Ÿคจ

Also looking at the wiki, I saw that Joy was of the zodiac sign leo, which make me like her even more.๐Ÿ˜‹

Still at the harbor, when Eri and Nozomi come to take photos, Ryo seem angry on both,
but he did smile just after the click of the last photo. As Eri could say, what's wrong with him. ๐Ÿคจ

Also looking at the wiki, I saw that Joy was of the zodiac sign leo, which make me like her even more.๐Ÿ˜‹
I think Suzuki talked about doing Ryo as this rough guy there was an expression for in the 40s-50s. But that was due to the tech being limited then I think. He has emotions in the 3rd alright. Some very fun in one quest. I loved it.

I think Suzuki talked about doing Ryo as this rough guy there was an expression for in the 40s-50s. But that was due to the tech being limited then I think. He has emotions in the 3rd alright. Some very fun in one quest. I loved it.
But as I said, he did smile a little just after the last photo. ๐Ÿ˜…
Proof from the recorded longplay that I still haven't finished yet (1 during photo, 2 just after photo)

during photo.jpg after photo.jpg

Reactions: red
just completed shenmue 1 & 2 (ps4)..now i can play shenmue3!

i completed S1-HD last year but the last time i played/completed shenmue 2 was back in 2007 on the dreamcast (thats 12 years ago :oops:)... i know that sounds strange for a big shenmue fan but i played s1/s2 to death back in the day and my original plan was to avoid playing s1 & s2 for a few years and then played them fresh (especially s2) when s3 came out... as the years rolled on i couldn't bring my self to replay s2..the cliff hanger with no 3rd game in sight just made me feel sad.. but now with s3 everything is good (y)

Dont know if we ever discused this before, but which DLC would you think the old games would have had if they where DLC in those days

I recon in S1 there would be DLC for other Sega Classics in the arcade maybe.

I S2 then i recon there could have been the boat chapter as a DLC.

How about you guys?

Dont know if we ever discused this before, but which DLC would you think the old games would have had if they where DLC in those days

How about you guys?
Well yeah, I thought the boat trip to HK with the Great Chai kidnapping the girl would have been great. But now I think on it, with dial up speeds, there really were no DLCs. There might have been addons via 1 extra disk. Expacs, they existed even then already.

How about you guys?

probably an acrade style, virtua fighter but using shenmue characters would of gone down well as a DLC. thinking about it.. it might work now lol, i would play it.

talking of dlc/games, i was replaying s1 and thinking about ryo's father.. i couldn't help thinking there is a story there, like a prequel game.

Yeap, you all were right, and I was wrong. These dang trailers revealed a bit of a story I'm about to do there was no way I should have known. Wish I could go back and un-see it...

When I see a little of walkthrough or let's play of shenmue 1 or 2, everyone always run and talk to almost no one and it make me kind of sad. Like miki would say, I think to myself "I guess you're not the type" (of player enjoying what the living world of shenmue offert).

When I see a little of walkthrough or let's play of shenmue 1 or 2, everyone always run and talk to almost no one and it make me kind of sad. Like miki would say, I think to myself "I guess you're not the type" (of player enjoying what the living world of shenmue offert).
Come on, be fair. In 1 at least the English VO is horrendous. If I did play it often over the years, I only want the quest progressing convos. Their actors are better. 90% is just such crap. I hate talking to any passerby. You don't in the 3rd, and it's a good thing IMO. Shops, trainers or quests. More to spend on better quality VO.

Come on, be fair. In 1 at least the English VO is horrendous. If I did play it often over the years, I only want the quest progressing convos. Their actors are better. 90% is just such crap. I hate talking to any passerby. You don't in the 3rd, and it's a good thing IMO. Shops, trainers or quests. More to spend on better quality VO.
Where am I not fair ? are you with the npc when you say that they are 90% just crap ?
If I just want the main quest I watch a movie cut on youtube and don't even play, should I do this for 3 and not buy the game then ?

Where am I not fair ? are you with the npc when you say that they are 90% just crap ?
If I just want the main quest I watch a movie cut on youtube and don't even play, should I do this for 3 and not buy the game then ?
I'm talking about those harbor workers on Dobuita, "I can't talk now, ask me later". In the same voice recorded by the same voice. I remember asking for a job in the harbor not long ago. That horrible actor again. One in the harbor was a bit better,you know what I mean. Maybe in the original Japanese they had better actors for the first for side stuff. Ryo in the first I thought got an unfair criticism. He read his lines. When they had emotion, he showed emotion. Corey Marshal isn't the one I hate in Shenmue 1. It's not just what they say to you either. It's how bad the actors if they were the actors are. I think as in case of so many Russian localisations they were just employees of SEGA America. There doing the subtitles anyway, so they read the lines too. Inne San was great, Chinese grandmother in the china shop, awesome. I'll never ever say all Shenmue NPCs were badly VO. I do know tons were. I played the Japanese audio Shenmue 2 back in the day, the one in my pic. If I remember, they did a bit better there. I even made a point to avoid many of those NPCs replaying the first, yes. So might have the walk through guy.

I'm talking about those harbor workers on Dobuita, "I can't talk now, ask me later". In the same voice recorded by the same voice. I remember asking for a job in the harbor not long ago. That horrible actor again. One in the harbor was a bit better,you know what I mean. Maybe in the original Japanese they had better actors for the first for side stuff. Ryo in the first I thought got an unfair criticism. He read his lines. When they had emotion, he showed emotion. Corey Marshal isn't the one I hate in Shenmue 1. It's not just what they say to you either. It's how bad the actors if they were the actors are. I think as in case of so many Russian localisations they were just employees of SEGA America. There doing the subtitles anyway, so they read the lines too. Inne San was great, Chinese grandmother in the china shop, awesome. I'll never ever say all Shenmue NPCs were badly VO. I do know tons were. I played the Japanese audio Shenmue 2 back in the day, the one in my pic. If I remember, they did a bit better there. I even made a point to avoid many of those NPCs replaying the first, yes. So might have the walk through guy.
Sure I know what you mean, your comment about "I can't talk now, ask me later" made me smile like it make me smile in the game.
Some characters are portrayed seriously and well played but I also like the bad one, it make me remember a lot of voice acting of asian movies from the 90's (at least in my natal language) and so it fit the game which is set in 86/87 to me.

The fight with Chunyan is so important for Ryo's character.

We gain an insight into his sense of justice. The fact that he spares a murderer from meeting the same fate as her victim(s) shows that Ryo, despite how he feels about Lan Di, is not somebody who believes in retributive justice. In his mind, killing another is wrong, no matter how evil they are.

The pause as he holds her fate in his hands is almost poetic. Throughout the second game, Xiuying constantly talks about her fear that Ryo will fall on to an evil path. This moment with Chunyan creates the potential for Ryo to take his first step onto such a path by killing her but his refusal to do so reaffirms that although he's troubled, the path he walks is still a righteous one.

Was just thinking about that Chunyan fight before opening this thread.

Listening to the Kowloon Cutscenes playlist, so many epic tracks. Kowloon Introduction, Elevator Ambush, Baihu's Defeat, Up the Roof, and Chunyan's track, of course...

Doing a slower playthrough of the game right now and I'm already noticing so many new things that I hadn't seen before. Always a fresh playthrough even though this is my sixth time through the first game.

So they gave npc new lines after you got fired, but you can only hear them between 11h00 and 12h30, then they use a huge elipse to 22h00 for the meeting with guizang. Why ?...

Last edited:
It is only possible to spar with Fuku-san once a day? :/
Yes, and it doesn't train throws as I hoped those decades ago. Fixed completely in the 3rd game, but never touched in the remake. Shadow boxing is the only way to train moves in Shenmue 1. Plus a huge bump after a point in the game.

Back